Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Do you use a SAD light box / lamp? Any good?  (Read 4382 times)

Night_Owl

Do you use a SAD light box / lamp? Any good?
« on: May 30, 2013, 11:17:55 AM »

I'm thinking about buying a SAD light box as more than ever (in spite of taking Vitamin D supplements, vitamins, some exercise, etc) the grey skies really affect my mood.

Prior to meno the weather hardly affected me and I used to love being cosy indoors during the gloom  - not so now, in fact the opposite.  So disappointed that it looks like we're having another grey summer, is this how our summers are going to be, not wishing for baking hot weather, just some brightness.

Researching SAD light boxes on the net - think I'm looking for what doesn't exist - ie. "warm white" and not the glaring "blue" daylight.

Does anyone use one and find benefit?

With thanks for any comments / input.

Night_Owl
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Do you use a SAD light box / lamp? Any good?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 11:36:49 AM »

Many people use them with success.  I had one for a few years, then the sun came out so I never needed to use it - sold it for good money!   If you are unable to take a walk during the breaks in the rain then what have you to lose?  Perhaps contacting MIND would be a way to find out if anyone finds them useful?

Night_Owl

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 11:53:52 AM »

Thanks CLKD, just checking out the MIND website, there's a lot of good info on there re: SAD and it makes reference to hormonal changes.  My brain feels so different when it's sunny/light, must be low in serotonin but ADs don't work for me.

I may buy a small entry level SAD lamp to see how I get on with it.  I get migraine so wondering if it would be made worse due to light sensitivity.

Will research further.

Night_Owl
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 03:18:37 PM »

Maybe the colour of the bulb will ease any migraine symptoms?

let us know how you get on!

bramble

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 03:48:48 PM »

The last 2 winters I have looked at SAD lamps but never actually bought one. I will listen with interest as to how you get on.

Bramble

Morwenna

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 06:24:30 AM »

I was looking at these only yesterday for the same reason Night Owl - it's only 21 days to the 'longest day' and I can count the number of sunny warm days we've had this year on one hand - so depressing! Was grumbling to OH last night that I'm seriously thinking of emigrating when I retire - if only I could afford it!  ::)

There are lots of light boxes on Am@z0n - seemingly to purchase the smaller low end versions would simply be an exercise in false economy - most people say they are too small to be effective. This one has lots of good reviews however I'm always sceptical as to how many of them are posted by employees of the actual manufacturer...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lumie-NLBAU-0000-Arabica-SAD-Lightbox/dp/B0031IITEC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1369981302&sr=8-3&keywords=sad+light+box