Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: worse symptoms after menopause  (Read 23543 times)

milly

Re: worse symptoms after menopause
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2013, 06:08:50 PM »

Hi,

An update..been to GP today, managed to get in earlier than 10th May thankfully.

GP was lovely, listened to how I felt, listened to my heart, pulse, BP etc, and agreed it was most likely hormones.

So then we discussed the best options,and offered me a mirena coil, but we have settled on Evorel Conti 50mg patch.

He has booked me in again in a months time, but to go back if I have any issues with it.

He also said it sadden him that hrt has had bad press, because he feels a lot of women suffer unnecessarily.

I'm relieved, but a little cautious at the same time.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2013, 06:31:52 PM »

What a lovely GP  :medal:

What you cautious about?

milly

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2013, 06:35:52 PM »

Isn't he just!

I think it's reading some of the problems other women here have had with Conti, but then again this is probably all to do with the anxiety, which this very patch will hopefully sort out!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2013, 06:56:43 PM »

I think we often worry about new meds., I certainly can provaracate for England when prescribed something different  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2013, 08:56:03 PM »

Hi there

Have had a quick read of some of this thread and just to say firstly re the symptoms coming after menopause - yes we are all different and for some women the symptoms only start around the last period whereas for others they start while still having regular periods.

Also the hormone levels (of oestrogen) continue to fall for at least two years after the last period and this is why symptoms can appear or worsen at this point. Some women want to start HRT and some need to increase their oestrogen dose.

Some of the more troublesome symptoms - bladder, vaginal problems etc only arise well after the menopause for some women and oestrogen deficiency is for life! You may well get through the hot flush/night sweat stage - when your hormones stop fluctuating but if you read the very good information in the menu on the left you will discover more about what happens to your body long term.

ADs are not the answer if you have never been anxious before and have no particular reason to feel this way, and have no medical reason that will prevent you from taking oestrogen.

As for the time limit and age to start, Dr Currie herself somewhere on this site states the current thinking based on a re-evaluation last year of some of the seminal research, ie that there is a window of opportunity for women to start HRT within 10 years of the menopause or before the age of 60 where the benefits in most cases outweigh the risks.

The recommendation only to take HRT for a specific time is based on this research using conjugated equine oestrogens (the Premique, Premarin kind) and synthetic progestogens. There is more recent research ( but no large studies) suggesting that bio-identical oestrogen (ie oestradiol - all the other sorts available) given transdermally ( ie patch or gel) are likely to be safer long term, as well as bio-identical progesterone (Utrogestan).

So you are not delaying the inevitable by taking HRT - you will be doing your body a favour. Many women choose to go down this route even if there is a slight risk ( no greater than drinking too much alcohol, or being obese) for the sake of quality of life in their 40's or 50's. You will also help protect your bones against osteoporosis.

I have been using HRT for 6 years and intend to continue provided there are no medical problems. I have chosen to continue with a cycle because I don't like having continuous proresterone even though I am nearly 60.

Milly - what HRT did you use before? The best thing to do is to try the patches and see how you get on. If they make you feel more anxious and it doesn't go away then you can try a different type.

For most women it's not that HRT itself doesn't suit them - it is just that particular kind, or method of delivery etc and you maybe need to try one or two before settling on one.

Most important - no need to suffer!

This is a bit disordered but a bit tired as just back from hols.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 2 [3]