Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Boston Marathon  (Read 27628 times)

lily

Re: Boston Marathon
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2013, 04:12:07 PM »

That was a powerful piece Suzi and I seem to have caused a new debate about muslims.  I shouldn't have said that, but everytime we hear of terrorism, it seems to be these 'new' muslims that pray 5 times a day.  I know the 'real' muslims will find it just as horrendous as we do and I agree about the hurt the young mens parents will be going through.  Just seems such a sad world at times.  :(

Limpy

« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2013, 05:15:00 PM »

Suzi - Wow, well done.

What you wrote was so moving.
You will have helped her lots, just speaking to her as a woman, not just a headscarf.
The sad thing is that the head scarves, do create a barrier, even when it's not intended as such.

Are you likely to run into her again?

honeybun

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2013, 09:07:56 PM »

It's not the headscarves that worry me but the whole face covering thing.

I know it's their tradition but it's not ours.

Why when we visit their country we observe and respect them but they come to our country and end up with more rights than we have.

Councils that won't allow Christmas trees or cards for fear of causing offence. I really could go on and on.

We are or were a predominantly Christian country.

All are welcome but please respect us and our customs and we respect theirs.

Honeyb
X

Firewalker50

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2013, 10:20:35 PM »

Well said Honeybun.

I do not consider myself discriminatory and my job requires me to be completely impartial.

I was even involved in a non-political friendship society to promote cultural exchange and understanding between a more enlightened Arab state and Scotland.  I found that fascinating and met some very interesting and lovely people.

However, who knows what deep-seated fears and bigotries we may have.

I liked that my daughter's school celebrated / acknowledged the main religious events in a number of religions.  They were not restricted from celebrating our own religious dates.  All children were in involved in all events. 

I do believe the political correctness seems to have gone overboard.  If we go to live in another country, we are expected to abide by their rules and laws and practices. 
The requirement to have sufficient population and skills is complex, so there will always  be a need for immigrants, as we will also have people who emigrate to other climes.    By all means, come to our country to work, contribute to society and the economy and live a new life with us.  At the same time, as Honeybun says, live by our rules and laws and respect OUR rights to our culture.   

Fx

Suzi Q

« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2013, 03:32:11 AM »

Sadly Fire thats NOT how it works
Most dont want to intergrate they want to be with their own people their own culture religion what ever that religion is
Im a migrant I too gravitated to UK people when I came to Ozz thing is though our heritage and customs are the same
Knowone  asked the people if we wanted this mix All political parties went gung ho it didnt matter who you voted for
Thier stanse was the same Migratiom Migration some worked really well but sadly loads didnt
It left disenfrachised youth male and female in the 70s/80s angry hurt but they too didnt play a part
They wanted to be the same YET different I listen to some Indig London youth and they have this patou accent now
A cross between Carribean and Londoner/Cockney it sounds odd but thats the way its gone
gOup NoRth and  in some areas of Bradford etc and not see any ladies who arent covered from head to toe children too
I dont blame them wanting to leave Pakistan and sub Sahran Africa with poverty civil wars
Problem so many dont want too fit into UK society They want to live their lives as if they were still in Pakistan etc
I firmly believe they see our Western attitude to live and let live as a weakness in us as a people a Race and a Nation
Its now unto the 2/3rd generation and these are the oyung men and women who want to belong but not to UK or OZZ
They want to be back in Pakistan Back in where ever it was they originated from and instead of being grateful to UKozz
They want more and more they want Sahri law They want so much and kowmatter what is siad we are Infidels
Its their duty to convert us I dont think for one moment many think like that but theres enough that do to cause harm
What do you do Ban all MOsques? Ban all Temples? Its way too late for that now BUT whats not too late is to stop
Stop family reunions stop migration for a while no more building of  relig schools etc
Some how we have to get back to we are happy your here But if your not then please dont cause pain and death Please just go back and find the happiness and peace that in the west eludes you x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2013, 11:42:29 AM »

I think that many issues are handed down through the generations, I know it's true within my family history ........ what was 'true' becomes muddled the more it is told.  Also, other countries appear to be much more knowledgeable about the various policies World Wide - many of those countries have been invaded over and again and not only by the British.  So they have to find their sense of identity in a very busy World.  Then they blame where they are living on their problems without going back to their origins to find out how the situation is there now .......

Suzi Q

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2013, 12:28:05 PM »

One of my best pals married to a Jamacan man wonderful chap speak betterer English than me
He and my pal have been married for 40 years have 3 Married children and 5 grandchildren
One of them was partic  naughty going on about Jamaca Trnidad insulting his MUM who was white
Saying all sorts of things about diluting blood lines  well Grt nan and Grt Gag who were in their late 70s had returned
Said grandson was shipped off to Trinidad one way ticket so he had to work  and boy did he
He found out he didnt belong not cos he wasnt black enough but because he was considered too black
It seems the ideal is to marry lighter and they expected him (his paternal family) to be whiter and more educated
He wasnt a happy chappy He didnt like the food the TV no PUBS as much as he moaned about his MUM
Told his Dad he didnt fancy a "sister" he only liked white girls we think we are prej but to see it from other angle!!!
Hes a great young man NOW hes gone to UNI a bit later than the norm in Southampton
Hes engaged to a Yorkshire girl daughter of a farmer and all those mixed up years are over He now knows hes English
Maybe thats a way let who ever wants to go back go back on a non return basis for say 5 years see how they cope?

CLKD

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2013, 12:47:10 PM »

Got to catch 'em first  ::)  ........ I think it's usual for 'teens' to blame their parents for everything and anything  :-\ but add in the colour/ethic differences too  >:(

Firewalker50

« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2013, 04:54:30 PM »

Got to catch 'em first  ::)  ........

....... made me laugh at the end of a tiresome day at work.

X

CLKD

« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2013, 06:45:19 PM »

How many of us kicked against the traces as we were growing up?  Only now there isn't the discipline people can 'get away' with a lot more!

Limpy

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2013, 07:07:28 PM »

Been thinking more about the headscarf / total face covering thing.

I think the reason they cover themselves so, is because they feel males, can't control their animal lust when confronted with unfettered hair.
I don't know whether this is actually the case.
But it seems to be a bit over the top to assume all men will behave in this manner,
Perhaps a bit rude to males everywhere, who are just getting on with their lives.

honeybun

« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2013, 07:10:43 PM »

I think it's more a control issue.

Women are lesser beings in that culture and they like to keep them down.

Honeyb
X

Limpy

« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2013, 07:18:26 PM »

Think you are right Honeybun.
But it still seems wrong that they assume that all men in this country can't control themselves.
OK I know some men are like that but not all. They are mostly civilised here?
The face covering thing is like an insult to all men here

Rowan

« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2013, 07:26:50 PM »

Muslim women  dress modestly and  wear the hijab in public and in the presence of men who are not close relatives.  It is usually a personal choice they are not forced to wear it, but a lot of Muslim women quite like it and they do not wear the hijab indoors, they love beautiful clothes and make up and they are not downtrodden at least not the more well of.

Its in the third world where there is less education and more poverty that Muslim women suffer.

honeybun

« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2013, 07:47:18 PM »

Are you watching the Horizon programme tonight.

My understanding is that the general treatment of women in these cultures is very different to what we would find acceptable.

I am not sure they don't like men looking at them but their men don't like it.

They are much more controlled than we are or have ever been.

Sad but true......they accept abuse as their lot.

This of course does not apply to all.......but more than we would think.

Honeyb
X
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5