Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Probiotics and IBS  (Read 7359 times)

Elena

Probiotics and IBS
« on: May 09, 2013, 11:25:14 AM »

I've had awful bloating and stomach pain since my early thirties.  Now it seems that daughter is having the same problem in her twenties.  The GP has just told her to cut down on wheat and try probiotic yoghurt.

I was looking into probiotic pills in the form of acidopholus a few weeks back.  I had a look in Holland and Barrett but found that there are capsules with different strengths.  Can anybody advise me on this?  Also, would taking the acidopholus have the same effect as probiotic yoghurt.

GP told her that her bowels are very noisy, mine have always been the same.  It wouldnt surprise me if anxiety played a big part in this diagnosis of IBS.

angelindskiexx

Re: Probiotics and IBS
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 12:07:15 PM »

I've found that eating FAGE Total authentic Greek Yogurt is helping me.  It has a number of live active cultures.  These include,  (s. thermophilus, l. bulgaricus, l. acidophilus, bifidus, l. casei) 

I'm still learning to find ways to relieve the IBS.

Let me know if you find anything that helps you.

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 12:40:04 PM »

I have sent you a pm Millie.

There was herbal drops that I used but have now been taken out of production. It is called Tormentil and you can get it online although it takes a bit of searching.

Another alternative is called Bowel Essence and is available again online. It's by an alternative practitioner called Jan de Vries. He is very well regarded and also has a free help line for advice.

I can honestly say he transformed my life.

If anyone wants any more info about him then please ask.

Honeyb
X

rosie c

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 01:05:28 PM »

Have a look at Symprove. Its got some good reviews and my brother swears by it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 03:06:27 PM »

I drink 2/3 pots of Actimel daily.  In the 1990s I was diganosed with IBS and the GP prescribed Motilllium and Colpermin - which I had to take within an hour of my main meals every day.  After 5/6 years a friend suggested Actimel and to my surprise it helped: my Mum uses Yakult daily.  If I don't drink the preparation my bowels become sluggish within 24 hours and it takes 3-4 days to perk them up again (sorry if TMI  :-\ ).

Like all conditions it's a bit Trial and Error  ::) - however, IBS can hide other conditions so it is important to discuss the symptoms with your GP.

clio

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 04:39:28 AM »

Wheat is my main problem with ibs, its common for people to b sensitive to wheat. It helps if I cut it down but almost impossible to avoid as its used as a binding agent in alot of foods including ketchup n other sauces etc. I hav meberverine from the docs when im going through a bad phase of it.

Elena

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 08:40:12 AM »

Thanks all.  I ordered some capsules with 10million bacteria then went down to Holland and Barrett to buy some to use until the others come.  The highest dose they had was 3million but you can take 2 of them.  When the 10 million arrive the dosage is one per day but Taz has had some frm H&B that have 20million bacteria in them  :o  so no idea why the dose for mine is only one.

Didnt realise they have to be kept in the fridge.  I am away next weekend and fridgeless :(

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 02:08:47 PM »

Cool bags and perhaps ask the hostess for a small space in the fridge?

grumpy2008

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »

Please let us know how you get on, milliemoo :)

I took H&B acidophilis capsules for acid reflux a couple of years ago, and noticed a difference within a week or so. They really helped settle my stomac down. Since, then I have tried yakult/actimel and even fermented my own milk (kefir). At the moment I'm back on the yakult. I find they regulate my digestive system, which is never a bad thing  ;) ;D

Elena

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 07:42:11 PM »

The Hostess is Premier Inns CLKD  ;D but it's ok as the 10million bacteria ones that I ordered online arrived today and they dont need to be kept in the fridge. I rang their nutrititionists to make sure of that!

Thanks grumpy, hope they start to work soon.  Sat here with hot water bottle on my tummy :(

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 07:43:56 PM »

Oh Millimoo ......... I prefer my Actimel straight from the fridge!  You mean that Premier Inn don't provide a FRIDGE, what is that Lenny Henry thinking of  ;D

Elena

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 07:52:43 PM »

In all honesty I cant remember whether they do provide a fridge.  Not been to a Premier Inn since last year and my memory isnt what it was  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 08:25:38 PM »

There might be a mini bar. Just be careful you don't get them mixed up with the gin and the nuts.

On the other hand ......  ;D

Honeyb
X