Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 56

Author Topic: All things gardening  (Read 203438 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: All things gardening
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2015, 04:03:41 PM »

I have lots of heucheras ………. but the vine weevil loves the roots so I dig them up every Spring to check!  Box is prone to disease.

I have Winter box too - which this year is sweetly scented

I am cutting down/digging up ivy  >:(  ::)  although the wrens love to nest in it.

MM Charabanc trip coming on  ;D

honeybun

« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2015, 04:09:43 PM »

Long as I can sit up front  ;D

It's been the most beautiful day here. Just been down to our community garden. We started off peas last Autumn and they are now starting to flower. We got a lovely early crop last year as they are grown in a poly tunnel. We have also sown more pea seeds for our outside bed in the propagating tunnel.
Trying to decide what else to grow in the way of veggies. Think we have decided on kale, beetroot, carrots and of course the peas. Inside we will do tomatoes, chard, lettuce and spring onions.
Oh and a melon and I'm considering a kiwi if I can get one.

Quite a lot to think about.....as I said...I'm keen  ::)

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2015, 04:15:15 PM »

Will kiwi survive so far North?  if so, how about a grape along your border, have a look at the NHS  ::) - nope, that's not it  :-\ oh Royal Horticultural Society  ;D web-site for advice on soil type, situation and pruning!

DH grows parsnips, carrots, purple sprouting broccoli in the plot protecting the carrots from fly or growing them higher so that the fly doesn't get 'em.  Apparently carrot fly doesn't go above or below a certain height ……. radishes, red beetroot, chives, rocket ………. cheaper to buy tomatoes  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2015, 04:20:14 PM »

There is a kiwi growing succesfully in one of of the poly tunnels. Our melons did really well the last two years. There is also someone growing a lovely vine too.

Choices choices  ;D

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2015, 04:36:57 PM »

Should do OK out of the wind with lots of sunshine ……. bees?

honeybun

« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2015, 06:23:28 PM »

It will be inside so no wind. Poly tunnel is 30 foot long so no problems. Bees, I go around with a tiny brush and pollinate things myself. Strangely restful  ;D

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2015, 07:58:28 PM »

Can you come down and pollinate our hellebores please …….. I noted a new variety in our garden today - deep purple on a cream background - apparently they are 'sluts' and pollinate freely ……..

ariadne

« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2015, 08:54:30 PM »

Tried my hand at a spiral topiary recently. Needs a bit more work but quite chuffed with my effort :)

Ariadne xx

honeybun

« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2015, 09:06:49 PM »

Ooo impressed, want to dash up here and lend a hand  ;D

Honeybun
X

ariadne

« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2015, 09:16:08 PM »

Wondering whether i dare try "spiralling" the two feature conifers in large pots in my front yard. Doubt i could make two look the same though  ;D

Ariadne xx

honeybun

« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2015, 09:19:41 PM »

Maybe from a distance  ::)

I'm not good with symmetry ...no mater what I do no two things look the same. You should see my baking....

Give it a go, it looks brilliant to me.

Honeybun
X

bramble

« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2015, 05:41:50 PM »

Anyone else made a start on the garden? The weather has been great ie dry this past week and gardening work has started with a vengeance. I am three quarters finished clearing up after the winter. I need another few days but the forecast is looking pretty grim for the next week. But at least it is started. Hurrah! Just got to decide now whether to grow tomatoes this year or not. I didn't last year and quite enjoyed the freedom away from the daily tyranny of watering, feeding and venting.

Bramble

thorntrees

« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2015, 06:06:16 PM »

We have decided to grass over our outdoor vegetable patch this year as no matter how hard we try we are plagued by pigeons who destroy everything . We have cleaned out the greenhouse though and will grow tomatoes, cucumber, salads etc. Hubby has been cutting back bushes this week and we have a  great pile of cuttings to dispose of now. Lots of bulbs out of all sorts and have bought seeds for salad leaves and marigolds so feel we have made a good start on this years gardening efforts, still some cold nights forecast though so mustn't get too carried away.

Thorntrees

CLKD

« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2015, 06:42:45 PM »

Why not build a pond rather than grass? 

We've been gardening intermittently for weeks  ;)

Topiary - that's a really good effort well done! 

Honeybun - mahonia?

thorntrees

« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2015, 06:54:13 PM »

We have an underground spring running across the garden and the lawn has sunk in several places over the years, not sure any deep digging or water would be a good idea!
Thorntrees
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 56