Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 56

Author Topic: All things gardening  (Read 205186 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: All things gardening
« Reply #675 on: July 13, 2022, 12:00:34 PM »

Big Moon 🌝 tonight :-)))

CLKD

« Reply #676 on: August 04, 2022, 08:47:37 AM »

We have 7 water butts which are now empty.  We have been putting the hose around the whole plot.  Shrubs over 40 years old began to wilt  :'( :'( and I am not prepared to lose anything if I can help it. 

For 3 weeks we watered at dusk.  Everything.  Hauling the hose pipe around is better than a work out!  Now DH waters the veg and fruit on alternate nights.  I keep an eye on anything that starts to wilt - astrantia soon go as do the herbs in the tower which aren't in very deep soil.  The wiegellia shrub gets a top up twice a week.  Roses and clematis are thirsty. 

The shower of rain yesterday filled the barrel up with 2".  I keep stored water for the heathers, bilberries and camellias. 

Once the rains begin I won't be using as much so costs will even out. 

CLKD

« Reply #677 on: August 05, 2022, 07:44:58 AM »

Usually DH sieves our home-grown compost, I remove rubbish i.e. bits of plastic  ::) whilst he puts the sieved into compost/bird food bags and the rest goes back for another year to continue rotting.  We have run out of places to stand the bags though as well as it being too hot to be bothered.  So I've been watering shrubs B4 putting un-sieved compost around.  Trouble is, birds then rootle through it so it gets scattered onto the paths.

Had to put the hose round last night.  Cooler this morning. 

Our butts are run off two sheds as well as down pipes from the house.  Still a lot gets wasted.

I've never counted the cost of gardening as we grow stuff as well as enjoying it.  Whilst here we aren't travelling and using up fossil fuels ;-)

Minusminnie

« Reply #678 on: August 06, 2022, 03:22:57 PM »

Guess some of it is about knowing when to hold your water  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #679 on: August 06, 2022, 04:42:50 PM »

::)

There's a lot in the National Press this weekend about how easy it is for the water companies to 'get' the householder for using their hose, cheaper than fixing pipes etc..  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #680 on: August 09, 2022, 02:27:11 PM »

On alternate evenings we are putting the hose at the root of any plants that are wilting . 

Taz2

« Reply #681 on: August 10, 2022, 02:13:57 PM »

Hosepipe ban here soon I think (Thames) but we are watching how much water we use and saving it where we can. OH is happy thinking how much we'll save on the water bill  ;D

Next door has a sprinkler back and front of the house which come on twice a day. His lawns are immaculate and so green and I'm not sure how he'll cope when they begin to go brown as he's so proud of them. Mine is brown and crinkly a bit like me  ;D

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #682 on: August 10, 2022, 02:29:22 PM »

We don't have lawn.  Got rid of it over 25 years ago.  Tried camomile - didn't like the smell  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #683 on: August 10, 2022, 04:55:56 PM »

Our little bit of lawn is for the birds really. I've got a tiny garden but manage to squeeze a lot in. Trees, bushes, pond. The starlings love the lawn usually but have got corrugated beaks trying to dig stuff up this year!

Taz   :)

CLKD

« Reply #684 on: August 10, 2022, 04:59:46 PM »

We R reviewing our water collection system.  Once it cools we are going to measure the garden to see if we can incorporate more types of barrels.  Those situated are in areas where they are required ......... we empty water into cans in case it rains and tops up the barrels. 

Birds get fresh water daily.  Pond and the 2 ceramic pots with water lilies in get topped up twice a week.  I think the snails have boiled .........  :-\

discogirl

« Reply #685 on: October 04, 2022, 12:25:12 PM »

I just started gardening this summer so I will be looking at these posts for tips xx

discogirl

« Reply #686 on: October 04, 2022, 12:36:53 PM »

i have found it has helped my MH no end; really enjoying it xxx

CLKD

« Reply #687 on: October 04, 2022, 02:01:21 PM »

Welcome!  I've spent too long out side today  ;D although I can see more that needs doing  8)

Don't grow anything that you won't eat.  The time to trial is about 2 years in, once you know what your ground will grow.  Is there a gardening club in your area?  Always good for free advice, some Garden Centres run 'evenings' for a small fee.  We have a mix of fruit, veg., flowers, shrubs - a walnut tree that is far too large  ;D

My nails are currently grubby even thought I wear gloves.  8). Oh and my gardening jeans have a hole and mud on the knees.

discogirl

« Reply #688 on: October 04, 2022, 02:40:07 PM »

hi clkd

no gardening club i know of however i did learn a lot from my grandfather.

i have two lawns at the front which i have flowers and a large back garden which i am in the process of sorting out and i am wanting to plant vegetables in the back. i was thinking of starting on potatoes onions and i am wanti g to grow tomatoes inside xxx

CLKD

« Reply #689 on: October 04, 2022, 03:17:07 PM »

I would build raised beds .......... easier to keep weeded !  At least 3 ??? high : can't think of the word I need  :-\.  Railway things ......... though avoid any wood that has been creosoted .  Or go to the local tip to see what's available, always remembering that they will need to fit into the car ;-). 

Tomatoes - too late to grow this year, need a deep root run and plenty of feed and water.  Potatoes are great for clearing the land as they require good digging, have deep roots and can be grown in bags or garden.  Don't harvest until after they have flowered.  Onions - we have Welsh type, which are dug into a spot and used as required: taken from the ground, split and the remainder dug back in.  A bit like Spring onions.

One day I'll remember the word that I'm searching for  :-\

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 56