Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 56

Author Topic: All things gardening  (Read 206189 times)

littleminnie

Re: All things gardening
« Reply #540 on: May 16, 2020, 11:36:18 AM »

Not bought solar garden lights for years.  The last ones I bought were rubbish, they hardly threw any light out.  Are they better these days?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 05:56:42 PM by littleminnie »

Sparrow

« Reply #541 on: May 16, 2020, 12:25:46 PM »

Yes, they are much better.  Also, as with everything,  the more you spend the better they perform.

Penguin99

« Reply #542 on: May 16, 2020, 12:39:51 PM »

Definitely agree with the more you spend. I bought a solar security light ( ?30) which I put out the back, great for when the dog goes out at night for her wee, I also bought a pir light (?10) for a side bit at the back of my house for when I go into the garage, as it's really dark down that bit, doesn't work anywhere near as good as the other one. Theres a fantastic range of lights now

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #543 on: May 16, 2020, 03:03:36 PM »

More turning out of pots and putting plants into fresh soil.  It's beginning to look colourful again  :-*

CLKD

« Reply #544 on: May 29, 2020, 06:55:00 PM »

I picked a mix of sweet Williams and astrantia this morning for vases: all pinks/reds/carmines/white ...... no idea how long they will last in a vase.

Two small strawberries turning red, all sheeted against the birds ......

Flowers on broad beans and peas  :-* and sweet peas climbing the bamboo poles. 

CLKD

« Reply #545 on: May 30, 2020, 04:15:02 PM »

Ours looks FabULUS and I have no one to share it with  :'(

Last year I sprinkled a packet of something that grew tall white flowers [3"] - I pulled it out earlier and it looks like it will be a thug  :o so it's gone into the Council bin.  Then I put borage, poppies and cornflower seeds in the gaps : watch this space  ;)

CLKD

!! courgette warning !! : All things gardening
« Reply #546 on: July 14, 2020, 02:13:27 PM »

A batch of courgette seeds sold by a major supplier has been recalled after producing crops which made people ill.

Mr Fothergill's seed company, based in Newmarket in Suffolk, issued a warning against eating the bitter fruits.

It said some seeds produced courgettes with "abnormally high levels" of a naturally occurring chemical which caused nausea and diarrhoea.

Four families in Castle Acre, Norfolk, reported feeling unwell after eating the produce they had grown.

Cazikins

« Reply #547 on: July 14, 2020, 03:44:55 PM »

Thanks for the heads up CLKD.
I've just checked ours & we have Cucumbers by Mr Fothergill, but not the courgettes so hopefully they're ok to eat (when they're ready of course).

CLKD

« Reply #548 on: July 14, 2020, 03:46:50 PM »

Maybe check on their web-site?

CLKD

« Reply #549 on: July 18, 2020, 06:03:49 PM »

It's 4 years since I did any pruning of two roses which I can see from the kitchen: so took the shears to them and the rosemary tree that had grown round the roses. 

Once I had cut back the roses, I tied in the clematis which I think is 'bill Mckenzie' ...... 1 of the roses has been in for over 30 years, stuck in the 'wrong' place and has thrived but I think it's on it's last legs.  It's yellow and smells lovely.    Several years ago I took a piece off and it struck but is a different rose al2gether  ::) and now that needs moving as it doesn't get enough sunshine.  Tomorrow's job.

There is a deep apricot 1 which smells delicious beside it, I cut a lot of flowers for vases.  Hopefully it will shoot again by late August.  It has large flowers and I have no idea where it comes from.  That too thrives on neglect apart from lots of water when we haven't had proper rain as both roses and clematis are thirsty plants.

CLKD

« Reply #550 on: July 19, 2020, 11:35:12 AM »

Another dragon fly spreading it's wings  :-*

6 more patio lights to site during the day so that they charge ready for this evening

CLKD

« Reply #551 on: July 20, 2020, 04:06:56 PM »

A gatekeeper butterfly here earlier  :-*

Two hoots

« Reply #552 on: July 21, 2020, 06:50:50 PM »

I love roses, Gertrude Jekyll is my favourite, a beautifully scented pink rose, we have a dark red that doesnt have much scent but the petals are velvety I cant remember what its called. 

We have a large conifer in the garden , it looks like a christmas tree, today I’ve watched a little mouse run along the bottom branch to get seed heads from the grass to eat.  I dont mind it living outside but there would be mayhem if it came in  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #553 on: July 21, 2020, 07:04:34 PM »

We have a mouse living in the rocks over the pond. 

I have a very small sample of Gertrude Jekyll which is a bit I struck a few years ago, the Mother plant was bought from David Austin years ago and finally gave up this year.  I need to go to David Austin next June/July for a restock ;-).

CLKD

« Reply #554 on: August 21, 2020, 11:16:56 AM »

For 6 months I've been watching small self seeded hellebores growing quietly, now we need that area of garden I have this morning gently lifted them - 9 small ones - about 6 months-2 years old; have gone into a large tub, the remaining 5 older plants need separate pots. That's a job for later when the storm goes over  ::)

French and runners are benefitting from the rain, carrots come out of the ground - washed and eaten immediately.  A few strawberries around the garden.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 56