Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 56

Author Topic: All things gardening  (Read 208364 times)

Tc

Re: All things gardening
« Reply #525 on: March 24, 2020, 10:54:18 PM »

Crikey CLKD.  That must be one well looked after fish🐡

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #526 on: March 25, 2020, 09:36:01 AM »

He/she is lucky  ;D

Originally we bought 12 golden orf, we got home with 9.  They grew for years until 1 night a HUGE storm sucked the air of oxygen and 7 died.  Eventually, apart from this one ............ I am quite fond of him/her

CLKD

« Reply #527 on: May 10, 2020, 12:57:39 PM »

Today is apparently GardenDay so taking a snap and upload to gardenday.co.uk to share.

I have rose buds
Poppies which self seeded into an area where I don't want them but they look lovely  :-*
I will spread them back into the border int he Autumn  ::)
Drizzling now so things will come on
Hardening off beans, peas etc.

Hurdity

« Reply #528 on: May 10, 2020, 01:25:06 PM »

Every day's been a garden day since lockdown, pretty much! Dragged out half the self-seeded forget-me nots from front garden. I never like to see them go while a little bit of blue is still visible but the leaves start to go mouldy. Have left lots of them in though so front garden is a haze of blue and purple from all the columbines, as well as lots of other flowers. Climbing rose now well in bloom....Tomatoes growing really vigorously in the greenhouse. Nearly finished (eating!) the first lot of radishes. Coriander too. Courgettes and french beans ready to go out but need to wait until later in May and after the promised cooler weather, when it comes! Broad beans a bit slow but starting to flower.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #529 on: May 10, 2020, 01:50:18 PM »

Our radishes never do well here  :-\ - never seem to put a firm root down, remaining stumpy and going to seed quickly.

Watch the bees with broad beans, they have a nasty habit of drilling into the side of the flower rather than pushing down to get the pollen therefore ruining the bean.  We are still hardening off ........

Hurdity

« Reply #530 on: May 10, 2020, 01:55:14 PM »

Thanks CLKD. Our broad beans are always fine in the end. Never had a problem with bees  :-\

Radishes don't usually do well but I grew them in the greenhouse and watered them frequently and they have been the best ever! We even ate the tops when we ran out of lettuce! (I don't go shopping very often, only every 10 days!). The ones outside are also doing well this year, probably because we have the time to water them. When its too dry they get stunted by fleabeetles eating the leaves before they ever get going.  Every day I'm staring at something or other this year, seeing how it's getting on!

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #531 on: May 10, 2020, 01:58:32 PM »

Yep.  Taking time to smell the roses ;-)

Penguin99

« Reply #532 on: May 10, 2020, 03:49:53 PM »

I'm getting my tomatoes & cucumbers used to being outside, I put them in the garage overnight. Every day I do my " hunt for lily beetles :sigh: they absolutely destroyed my lilies last year. Have found a few and they are soon got rid of. Every saturday I spray with neem oil mixed with washing up liquid & water, not sure it's working, and the rain seems to wash it away :-\ I'm grateful if anyone has any better cures for lily beetles.

CLKD

« Reply #533 on: May 10, 2020, 04:34:51 PM »

If U recognise them, a good squash between the fingers  ;)

Barnacle

« Reply #534 on: May 10, 2020, 04:53:44 PM »

I have never had much luck with anything i have tried, including olive oil. AS CKLD said, squish em'.

CLKD

« Reply #535 on: May 10, 2020, 04:58:44 PM »

Those alliums that I moved in March are flowering.

CLKD

« Reply #536 on: May 15, 2020, 08:40:11 AM »

Vine weevil  >:( ........ in the pots outside which I have pulled apart this week.  These haven't been moved/weeded for about 4 years so it's been therapeutic.  Weevils into the bucket to take to the chickens .........

We have been to 2 garden centres this week, the 1st had a really good system in place.  The 2nd were trying but there was space to move trolleys by others so not a problem but the signage wasn't clear.  As I was unloading my purchases at the first Centre into my car, a woman approached "I'll take your trolley back, they don't seem to have any left".  'nope'.  "It will save you having to walk over there." 'nope.  the company are wiping down each trolly between customers'.  "I could do that." 'nope.  have a walk over to see how their system is working, 1 has to queue and there is a 1-way system.' 

I expect that she had driven in and seen a lack of trollies and thought we were back to normal  ::).  When I left she was standing at the back of the queue ........... hey ho!   Aged about 70 I suppose she didn't seem to have 'got it'.   ::)

I still haven't sourced lobelia: yet  ;D. We spent 20 mins last night putting new solar lights around the ponds, removing those that need new batteries ......... which are often more expensive than the original unit ......... I have 5 more to site this evening.  It doesn't take much to keep me calm ;-)

Penguin99

« Reply #537 on: May 15, 2020, 10:01:26 PM »

We did our solar lights last week. I bought some lovely little tiny lights and have put the round the rope on my decking and some along my back fence. I love solar lights. I have some crackle ball lights, I normally take the batteries out & put them in the garage in october but I didn't last year, some have given up :(
I hope you get the vine weevils sorted,  I'm still checking my lillies every day,  they are so much better than last years :)
I love gardening, I used to grow lots of veg but only doing tomatoes &  cucumbers, this year.

littleminnie

« Reply #538 on: May 16, 2020, 08:09:28 AM »

Going to attempt the Garden Centre next week

CLKD

« Reply #539 on: May 16, 2020, 09:15:59 AM »

I can feel the excitement from here littleminnie ;-)

My lights looked lovely at 3.00 a.m.  :-\
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 56