Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 56

Author Topic: All things gardening  (Read 203542 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: All things gardening
« Reply #390 on: April 28, 2019, 09:21:47 AM »

Depends what they are.  Do they have labels?  When digging a hole it needs to be half as deep again and half as wide as the root ball.  Remove plant from pot and shake gently.  If roots are white and tight, losen them a little.   Water into the hole and allow to drain.  Place plant into hole and back fill with removed soil, removing any slugs!  Make sure plant is upright and stable.  Water gently.

I would go to a Garden Centre to see what is there and ask ......... in the main bare-rooted plants need putting in between November and March, i.e. roses: plants bought in pots can be set any time when the Earth is warm enough.

Dierdre

« Reply #391 on: April 28, 2019, 07:21:15 PM »

Thanks, I'll done that. I saw the same plants today at the garden centre and was told they can go in the garden so I've put them in, ground was nice and soft now with all the rain we've had so should settle in nice.

CLKD

« Reply #392 on: April 28, 2019, 08:09:49 PM »

Well done!  Feet up, Prosecco ?  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #393 on: April 30, 2019, 06:34:13 AM »

Watching a gardening programme yesterday afternoon with Charlie Dimmock and the Rich brothers: they were buying slate.  It was cheaper to hew it, face it, transport it to the UK from Brazil to Southampton and buy it than it was to buy Welsh slate.  The former was £900 the latter £1,500  :o   It was the same with coal: cheaper for the UK to import it from Poland.  Car industry the same, cheaper ...........  :bang:

Two hoots

« Reply #394 on: April 30, 2019, 07:59:24 AM »

Its because of the low wages that are paid in some countries, how is it possible to buy a tee shirt for £3 the fabric, shipping and wages to make it  :-\

Our tulips survived the gales on the weekend, they are beautiful, I love Spring  :)

CLKD

« Reply #395 on: April 30, 2019, 08:22:43 PM »

It's a huge difference on the slate issue.  I don't know which way I would have gone  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #396 on: May 01, 2019, 05:23:59 PM »

National Gardening Week.  Apparently.

CLKD

« Reply #397 on: June 05, 2019, 03:17:56 PM »

I have sweet Williams in flower so have picked some for the house.  Will the plants continue to put out flowers, anyone know?  I need to buy some packets of seeds to encourage new plants next year.  Everything here is lush  :-*  :) ........ hostas are up, hydrangeas seem to have survived, foxgloves from Mum's have appeared in pots we brought back from her garden ...... roses look lovely.  Welsh poppies are cross-colouring so we have a yellow plant with orange edges to the petals; and an orange flower with yellow tinges in the petals.  Bees round the mimulus growing in the pond .......... but no one to share it with  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #398 on: June 20, 2019, 01:35:54 PM »

Two huge rose - trees? - 1 is about 5 feet tall the other 15 feet - were blown over last week so have been staked in, have cut roses for the house.  Went to a Herb Garden and came back with lots ....... so will be finding places for those plants once I've dug over a waste bit of ground.

Roses; vebena bonsiosis; orange blossom; rasp and strawberries; black/white/red currants and gooseberries; sweet Wliiams; poppies - everything is lush  :-*

Have pruned back two wiegela which didn't get touched due to last year's heat wave.  They have been taken back hard.  Will let more light into the garden, the property next door is empty, another reason that they got missed; every time last year I went out with the loppers, neighbours were enjoying the sunshine  ::).  I feel GOOD!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 03:35:13 PM by CLKD »

katsclaws

« Reply #399 on: June 20, 2019, 03:25:36 PM »

Your garden sounds wonderful CLKD. We have a 12 week old Springer Spaniel who has already started digging and trampled a lot of the perennials. Thankfully our fruit and vegetable garden is fenced off. Our other two dogs are 4 and 7 and thankfully don't dig.

CLKD

« Reply #400 on: June 20, 2019, 03:38:06 PM »

:rofl:  my friend's springer picked out the daff bulbs as fast as she was planting them  ::) he thought he was being So Clever.  How do the other 2 put up with a pup?  Which colour did you go for?  Is he/she going to work?

Our cocker used to eat apples; Russetts; she would run into the neighbours' orchard and help herself, she loved raw carrots too.  Caulie, cabbage, a piece of banana .........

What will you do to dis-encourage the pup to dig?  Maybe get a kids' paddling pool/sand pit and fill one side with water the other with sand?  Kept ours busy for hours  ;D

katsclaws

« Reply #401 on: June 20, 2019, 03:58:55 PM »

Hello CLKD, our previous Springer dug up our daffodil bulbs and placed them in a neat pile.
Our 7 year old female chocolate labrador is nervous around our puppy and barks if he comes near. She rarely barks and is a very kind dog. She wasn't like this around the 4 year old dog.
It sounds as if your cocker spaniel had a healthy diet. 
Our puppy is liver/white. A paddling pool sounds a good idea. He is very energetic and will be a working dog.

CLKD

« Reply #402 on: June 20, 2019, 06:33:45 PM »

Great 2 hear that he's going to work!  My show cocker: who couldn't abide puppies or children  ;D: did enough putting up to be fun but was not intense. Her attitude was 'you shot it, you fetch it'  :D She would eat most things but would 'go off' tinned food periodically.  Usually after I had bought a bulk load  ;D but knowing what I do now, I would raw feed.

Rose petals falling in the hearth - should I put them in my bath later?  Will cut more for the house if it remains fine enough at the weekend.  Picked broad beans earlier, they were really tasty.  A little butter and black pepper over them.

daska86

« Reply #403 on: June 21, 2019, 07:05:26 PM »

Veggies not doing as well as last year. Tom's and cucumbers are slow, peas and potatoes ok. Lettuce doing well. Weather all over the place.

CLKD

« Reply #404 on: June 21, 2019, 10:26:54 PM »

Our peas are sulking  >:(

Do you grow toms and cucumbers in the same environment daska86?
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 56