Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 56

Author Topic: All things gardening  (Read 205261 times)

Hurdity

Re: All things gardening
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2017, 09:45:06 PM »

Oo-er it's complicated - I know now why I'm not a rose buff!!! Also garden isn't big enough!

Thanks for all the info. Dorothy has long gone - I cut the rambling mess of shoots to the ground both sides and husband dug out the 25 year old roots - too hard for me! Then he rebuilt the cottage porch. Now ready for more roses. I realise it's late in the season for planting them but hope to do so this week if I have time to get to garden centre. I have no idea if they do bare-rooted or not.

Thanks to your posts I googled a bit and came to rhs site where I discovered the difference between containerised and container grown. Now I know why the ones I looked at at garden centre were in shiny new looking pots with fresh compost - so I presume they were containerised so no good for me if I'm going to take them straight out again! Thanks for the warning catlover!

I was befuddled by the variety on the David Austin site and slightly worried about taking the plunge and spending all that money on two of them if I'm not going to like them......Must make a decision very soon while it's still cold!
We make our own compost so will dig out 18" cube of soil and put some in with a bit of fertiliser or bone meal. Shan't bother with rose compost as wouldn't use it again...

:thankyou: all!

Hurdity x

Dorothy

« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2017, 10:09:26 PM »

I bought one last autumn, called Tutu, which has had no flowers  >:(  They should have been double frilly pink ones, naturally.

Hellebores often need a year or two to settle into the ground before they restart flowering, so don't give up on it just yet.  As long as it is healthy and growing new leaves, it should flower once it has a good root system in place.

Dorothy

« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2017, 10:14:38 PM »

BTW, I'm thinking of changing my user name...was quite worried reading through this topic by all the comments about getting rid of Dorothy and Dorothy being long gone  :-\   Very relieved to read back and discover you were talking about a rose  ;D  (I can second the recommendation for David Austin roses - they are brilliant, disease resistant, repeat/long-flowering, beautiful scent...  In fact, the only rose I will have that isn't a DA one is 'Peace' because it was my grandmother's favourite.

Hurdity

« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2017, 10:56:02 PM »

SORRY Dorothy  ;D !!!! CLKD shortened the name so I carried on in the same vein!!! Please don't change your name!! Thanks also for the endorsement re these roses which I hadn't heard of until 2 days ago! 

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2017, 01:17:55 PM »

Hurdity - pot grown roses can be planted at any time of year when the soil is warm enough.  Bare rooted need to go into the ground between November and March.  They are usually cheaper to buy as they are younger plants.  Pot grown may have been in the pot for several years, the DA one that I rescued which turned out to be a thug, was at least 10 years old by the time I resuscitated it  ;D.  Make sure that you dig out every bit of old soil where Dorothy was growing and replant into new to stop whatever disease might be lurking.

The important issue is to keep them watered, not standing in a puddle but not allowed to dry out.  Roses have deep roots eventually, seeking a drink  ;).  I usually dig out the hole and water into it, noting how long it takes for the water to soak away.  Plant.  Water gently from above and keep an eye for the next 9-12 months unless it's a very wet Summer.

Gardening is only as complicated as one allows it to be  ::) ........

Hurdity

« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2017, 06:10:49 PM »

Thanks CLKD. :)  My local nursery has sold out of bare-rooted as they pot em all up and sell as containerised with a price hike. Not much variety of climbers. DA told me they sell bare-rooted until end of April and recommended I bought BR since they are £5 cheaper.  The container grown were potted last January ( 2016) but they said the BR would be fine and would flower this year..... I bought 2 of Shropshire Lad - a peachy-pink - in the end. They told me to dig out 2 foot cube of soil and replace with garden soil mixed with our own compost.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2017, 07:05:42 PM »

Job Done then !  Photos ?  ;D

We have roses all around, growing well in places not recommended  ::), good pruning and sunshine seems to keep them healthy.  I have some branches that I cut B4 C.mas in water, I will push those into the ground next week - they have two chances  ;): the 'thug' seemed to root quite easily  ::)

bramble

« Reply #127 on: March 21, 2017, 09:58:21 PM »

Shropshire Lad is a lovely rose with a good fragrance. You've done well!
Bramble

Hurdity

« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2017, 07:00:03 PM »

They arrived and they are in the ground. My husband dug the huge hole and we just bunged in our garden compost - which is quite soil rich. Didn't have any bonemeal but may put something around the top if necessary. Look forward to them sprouting - not sure how long it will be?

Washed down the greenhouse glass today inside and out, and various trays and pots - and my husband dug the whole veg garden over these last couple of days.....

Any gardening/gardens news girls?

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2017, 07:01:52 PM »

There should be leaf buds on the roses now - the ones here have new green shoots or red leaf buds ......

I think that the tadpoles are leaving the jelly, hopefully the single gold fish in that pond won't eat them  :o

ariadne

« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2017, 07:35:05 PM »

I am so disappointed that none of my fruit trees on the allotment have blossomed this year. Last year they blossomed briefly but it was all blown off in a gale and I had no fruit on most of them.

So no blossom means no fruit doesn't it?  And I absolutely adore blossom. It's my favourite thing.

And to make matters worse, 2 years ago I bought a Red Sentinel crab apple tree for my garden because I wanted to see blossom in my garden and although there was a little blossom last year, this year there has been none.

Why can't I grow blossom😭😭😭😭😭

Ariadne xx

bramble

« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2017, 07:58:52 PM »

I think you may still be a bit early for blossom. Have faith!

Spent 4.5 hours in the garden today - hard graft - cutting shrubs down that had grown too big for their boots and clearing out a part of the garden I have seldom been in for the past 5 years - and it looked it! Out with the pruning saw tomorrow to take the Photinia down and the branches from the twisted hazel that have reverted. May also take the saw to the eucalyptus. Have hired in a bit of muscle for half a day to dig out shrubs. My garden is a forest of bright pink canes where I want to do stuff. Reminders so that when the lad comes, I can point him in the right direction. I am determined this year to get back on top of the garden - it has been sadly neglected the last few years. I have redesigned all of my borders and the greenhouse is full of new perennial plants(94!!!) to go in so looking forward to the next few months.  The majority of my plants arrived last week so have potted them on. May pot them on again before planting out. Will wait and see.

Bramble

CLKD

« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2017, 08:06:36 PM »

It's early for blossom.  Don't lose heart.  Have a look-see at the ends of each branch, there may be small buds appearing which will suddenly erupt into either leaves or flowers.  Our almond has been out for 2 weeks but the silver birch is keeping it's buds to itself ...... there are tiny buds on the apple ....... but plum won't think about opening for another 2 weeks.  Neither of our crab apples have signs of buds yet ;-)

Eculalypts can take a huge pruning, they are like weeds  ::).  Our twisted hazel has straight growth from the ground which we take out every Autumn otherwise they would take over the tree.  It is HUGE! 

ariadne

« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2017, 08:32:57 PM »

The leaves are either out or budding depending on the tree 🙁

CLKD

« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2017, 09:06:19 PM »

Still alive then, watch the bees as they arrive in your garden  ;) - you could also ask one of the local people from a garden centre to have a look-see!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 56