Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: How to stop tears?  (Read 1687 times)

Roseneath

How to stop tears?
« on: September 24, 2018, 07:25:40 PM »

Suggestions ladies please. Since Peri hit I get teary eyed at the drop of a hat; just the thought of some things can set me off to the point it is embarrassing. John Lewis adverts at Christmas are the worst.  I have been trying to get my son to join his school choir for ages. He is a shy boy but has a lovely Alad Jones type voice. He came back from school today and said not only has he joined the choir but he is going to sing lead soprano for their first concert which will be.....Somewhere Only We Know (Yes that Bear & Hare John Lewis Advert).
I am of course delighted but also mortified. I'm a sobbing wreck at the best of times when I hear that song but a choir of 10 year olds with my wee lad doing the solo bits. I will be in sobbing pieces before they even start. Seriously ladies is there anything I can do to keep it together? Anyone managed to hold back the flood in public?   I'm not ashamed of tears but can just see the horrified faces of my daughter and DH.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: How to stop tears?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 07:39:46 PM »

Nope.  Nature gave us feelings  ;)

Well done the lad. He probably knows what his Mum is like ..........

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 07:47:31 PM »

Oh how lovely Roseneath,
Your gonna be so proud, don't forget to record it, keep it forever,
then you can always play it back when you want to.
As for the tears, no, got no suggestions I'm afraid, if they're gonna come,
they'll come.
I've always been crap at holding them back, always gives me a terrible pain in the head
if I do. Lol
Just make sure you take a load of tissues with you....xx

BlueButterfly

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 08:22:19 PM »

Sometimes when I'm feeling like that I just need to let myself have a good cry and that gives me at least a few hours or a day before it starts again.

And lots of tissue and water-proof mascara if you wear it, just in case.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 08:52:07 PM »

look up without tipping your head back and lick the roof of your mouth. I have to do that at funerals.

ariadne

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 09:58:00 PM »

I've got a few tips I learned when my son was ill and I cried every time anyone asked me about him or whenever I tried to ask doctors questions.

Breathe slowly and deeply, concentrating on each breath.

As already mentioned, hold your tongue to the roof of your mouth. Its not possible to cry when doing this.

Pinch hard the loose skin between thumb and forefinger. The pain stops you feeling like crying. 😁

Have some sweets to suck.

Hold something that you can "play" with.

If you do cry and end up red and blotchy for hours like I do, open your mouth wide as if you are screaming really loudly, stretching your face as far as possible. It takes the blotchiness away.

I know how you feel as I only have to think of or read something sad and tears will start.

Ariadne xx

Dancing Queen

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 09:29:32 AM »

HRT patches! They`ve made me go from crying literally about 10 times a day over sad, happy and nothing at all things to only every few days or so. I feel my emotionally wrecked hormones are at least calmed down if not repaired completely! :)