Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: constant cold symptoms Help!  (Read 10183 times)

lilyrose

constant cold symptoms Help!
« on: February 26, 2013, 10:56:25 AM »

Hi I'm a newby here and I have been coping with my menopause symptoms reasonably well up until now. I'm still having periods albeit a bit random. But recently my hot flushes and night sweats have really increased (I had 3 last night which lasted for almost an hour each)  However the worst thing for me is that this increase seems to have coincided with the appearance of  horrible cold like symptoms. I am having terrible bouts of sneezing (15-20 in a row is normal, even at night!). My nose is always blocked and when a sneezing fit coincides with a hot flush, its extremely unpleasant. This has been going on for a couple of months now. I've been to the doctor and he said it was a sinus infections but the antibiotics didn't touch it.The whole thing is very draining.

Has anyone else experienced this type of thing? Even thought I've never been allergic to anything before, I've read that allergies can appear or get worse during the menopause.Is it likely that HRT might help?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated, as I'm reaching the end of my tether!
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: constant cold symptoms Help!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 12:04:52 PM »

Allergic rhinitis?

Do you have pets?  Sleep under a duvet?  Old carpets ....... we can develop allergens as we age.  My nose is blocked a lot, I have that itchy feeling constantly on the roof of my mouth and back of my nose ...... keeps me awake for hours  >:(.  I use Beconase nasal spray daily, which can be bought over the counter.  May be worth your while?

lilyrose

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 02:06:16 PM »

Thanks for your reply.

Ooh didn't think of that. It could well be carpets. We're decorating at the moment and my husband has cut the edge of some of the carpets away so he can paint the skirting boards. As I've never suffered with allergies before, it didn't crossed my mind that it could be something like that. Hopefully when the new carpets are down, it'll stop. In the meantime, I'll give the Beconase a try.
Thanks again
Lily
X

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 08:10:49 PM »

Anything to relieve the symptoms.  Dust  ::)

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 10:32:24 PM »

Hi I'm a newby here and I have been coping with my menopause symptoms reasonably well up until now. I'm still having periods albeit a bit random. But recently my hot flushes and night sweats have really increased (I had 3 last night which lasted for almost an hour each)  However the worst thing for me is that this increase seems to have coincided with the appearance of  horrible cold like symptoms. I am having terrible bouts of sneezing (15-20 in a row is normal, even at night!). My nose is always blocked and when a sneezing fit coincides with a hot flush, its extremely unpleasant. This has been going on for a couple of months now. I've been to the doctor and he said it was a sinus infections but the antibiotics didn't touch it.The whole thing is very draining.

Has anyone else experienced this type of thing? Even thought I've never been allergic to anything before, I've read that allergies can appear or get worse during the menopause.Is it likely that HRT might help?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated, as I'm reaching the end of my tether!
X
I am at a similar stage to you, periods still happening but very infrequent and very light. I have also had repeated sneezing and the feeling that I have a mild cold. It started in January which was too early for hay fever. My flushes seem to have got going now as well. i woke up several times last night. I also get a mild but persistent headache mostly on the top of my scalp and an overall aching feeling and mild stomach discomfort. I have it for about 3 days and then it fades and returns about a week later.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 03:02:49 PM »

Could it be hormones?  Or perhaps your body is fighting a bug which causes the lymph glands in the tummy to become slightly inflammed?

Jemima

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 11:24:30 PM »

hiya, yes i have constant cold like symptoms too! and i was give anti biotics for it back in january but it didnt seem to change much.

i keep being told to do steam inhalation, but its very time consuming, although i do try to do it when i can.

i feel like i need a moisturiser up my nasal passages or something to get them feeling normal again..might have to invent one at this rate  :o

hubby says ive started snoring too, which i know ive never done. i also feel like the back of the roof of my mouth is sore, and have the feeling that there is something caught on the right hand side at the back of my mouth, but doc cant see anything.

ive whinged so much hes decided to send me to ent finally to get a camera shoved up my nose for a look around.

had it done once bofore. not pleasant but they needed to check my vocal chords so at least i know what to expect...

hope you feel better soon. if you find something that works, please let me know..

Jem x

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 07:28:35 AM »

My OH was at the GP for this last week.

He was told it was allergic rhinitis and given a nasal spray and also an anti biotic cream to sooth his nose.

He was told that the spray could take a few weeks to work but he is a bit better already.

I think rhinitis is very common.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 11:37:53 AM »

It is common.  Also, since DH has been retired and Hoovers more thoroughly twice a week my symptoms are less  :o  :-\