Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Security checks at concerts/gigs  (Read 6914 times)

Taz2

Security checks at concerts/gigs
« on: November 16, 2012, 09:52:51 AM »

Last night while queuing for a gig I was struck by the fact that the security seems a little hit and miss. As often happens all the women had to go one side for a bag check and all the men the other side for a "pat down" check. Why weren't the women given a "pat down" as well as a bag check? I was wearing a coat with six pockets and jeans with pockets. I also had boots and socks on. So my bag passed the check - no sharp items in there - but what about the fact I could just have easily  hidden something sharp in my sock or in my pockets?

OH was a bit embarrassed as he had forgotten that on his keyring he had a tiny penknife. He had to wait while he was given a confiscation number so that he could pick it up later. Very rock and roll!  ;D

Taz x  :-\

Jillymoo

Re: Security checks at concerts/gigs
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 10:17:09 AM »

I used to dread having my bag searched at things during the years when I was suffering with endless,flooding periods due to my fibroid and couldn't leave the house without my bag crammed with at least a whole pack of 'night time' towels and several pairs of 'big' knickers! ( not that I ever wanted to go anywhere much during those days. . . .too stressful)

Not quite the same thing,but one of my most embarrassing moments was when we were in Rome and had to be searched to enter St.Peter's at the Vatican.As the security guard rummaged through my handbag,the lace trim on one of my 'spares' got snagged on his wristwatch and as he took his hand out and went to push his hair out of his eyes . . . he trailed my knickers over his startled face for all to see!!  :o  :o  :o

I saw the funny side after but. . . . .

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 10:19:55 AM »

;D  Thank goodness they weren't a pair of comfy knickers - that would have been worse!! At least they brought a little glamour to the occasion!

Taz x

Scampi

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 10:24:26 AM »

I HATE bag searches as my bag always has a pocket stuffed with night-time size towels and super-plus tampons - sercurity guards nearly always look so mortified when they get to that pocket, and shove the bag back my way muttering 'ok' and red to the ears!  All credit to the boys doing the bag-checks at the Paralympics - not a flinch, just a jovial comment about the size of my bunch of keys!!

Jillymoo

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 10:31:15 AM »

;D  Thank goodness they weren't a pair of comfy knickers - that would have been worse!! At least they brought a little glamour to the occasion!

Taz x

Oh crikey,no. . . .they were in no way glamorous!! They did have a lace trim round the legs,but they were a 'roomy' pair and ones that had been through the mill with these horrendous periods of mine and as a result had been soaked and boiled to within an inch of their life after so many 'accidents'.I own nicer sink cloths,but they were secure and comfy and accomodated the industrial sized sanitary towels so well. . . . :whist:

xx

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 10:45:37 AM »

Well the lace part sounded glamorous! I still don't understand why, last night, they thought that women wouldn't have anything in their pockets though.

Taz x

Jillymoo

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 11:02:49 AM »

Yes. . . going back to your original post. . . .I know what you mean about women being less thoroughly frisked.
I've always presumed it's because in today's times,no one wants to be accused of over-rigorous inspection which might be construed as some form of assault by a woman? Or maybe they didn't have enough female security staff to pat down the ladies?

Going back to my wadges of sanitary towel days,I could have hidden a small handgun in amongst them,such was their thickness.I don't remember them ever being actually handled or inspected by security staff,once they had realised what they were. . . .

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 12:06:06 PM »

You're right thought Taz we don't get patted down at gigs.  My bag gets searched.  Last one we were at it was one queue for bags and everyone got through with no pat downs.  Maybe need something like they have at the airport to walk through.

pixie

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 09:57:21 PM »

:rofl: 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 07:57:01 PM »

My bag was searched at the NEC Antiques Fair recently.  Mostly filled with Kleenex incase my allergy symptoms started. I've never been searched at a Theatre or a gig ............ Cropredy/Reading/Glastonbury etc. would never happen if everyone attending had to be checked over.  It is something that has been in my mind for years though - lack of checking.

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 12:16:45 AM »

I think it depends on the type of gigs you are attending CLKD. Most larger venues do check nowadays - it is standard procedure but not so much for theatre. I don't think you can lump Cropredy in the same category as Reading and Glastonbury as they are very different in size. Reading do sporadic bag and pat-downs - maybe every half dozen people but you are often searched before entering the main arena as well. I am not sure about Glastonbury. It just seems so silly to not check everyone over in the same way.

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 10:27:05 AM »

would never happen if everyone attending had to be checked over. 

On holiday in Florida last year and at every park, everyone had to go through a checking area and have bags etc checked , no exceptions.  Poor folk with young kids who were obviously carrying large bags/rucksacks with nappies, powdered milk etc had stuff checked with a fine tooth comb too.  There were also police/local sheriffs on hand too. Mind you most folk had bags, camera bags etc.  Although not many were patted down. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 02:15:09 PM »

Anyone watching the 'heroes' Parades in Manchester and London?  Apparently 2 blokes blagged their way onto one of the 'floats'  :o ……….. joined in the Parade in Manchester completely un-challenged.  HEADS SHOULD ROLL  :bang: