Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23

Author Topic: TV - Did anyone see...  (Read 85328 times)

purplenanny

Re: TV - Did anyone see...
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2012, 12:51:19 PM »

Crikey Bette  :o that's a bit technical for me!! What the heck is one of those??!! ???

Joyce

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2012, 01:00:04 PM »

Did anyone watch the Ross Kemp documentary on poverty in Glasgow last night?  Quite thought provoking!  I recognised a number of the places they visited but for the life of me couldn't actually place precisely where they were as I've been away so long.

Bette

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2012, 03:47:38 PM »

It's like a Virgin V+ box, PN, which we've got or a Sky+ box. You can also buy independent ones in the shops though. They're great as you can set them to record a whole series really easily and they hold hours and hours of recordings. With ours, you can record 2 different channels at once and watch a third at the same time.
Bette x

purplenanny

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2012, 05:25:13 PM »

Thanks Bette, would I have to pay a subscription or monthly 'line' rental? and does it work through the television like a dvd player? Sorry to be thick, I really am clueless with these things! PN

Bette

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2012, 05:32:55 PM »

would I have to pay a subscription or monthly 'line' rental? You would if you had the Virgin or Sky boxes but not, I think, if you bought an independent one outright. It connects to your tv like a dvd player does and records and plays back the same. You can't play back pre-recorded dvds, though so you'd need to have a dvd player if you own/rent films etc. We've had something like this for years as OH is a real techie; never had a dvd recorder, only a player.
Bette x

purplenanny

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2012, 05:37:46 PM »

Thanks Bette, I will look into that then. Could you tell me what to ask for so I don't look as stupid in the shop as I appear on here!? ::)PN x x

Bette

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2012, 05:52:16 PM »

I think that they're called "digital recorders". I just did a quick search on the John Lewis site and found a few; they've got a few, most of which incorporate Freeview tuners, I think. They're pretty expensive  :o which is maybe why the ones you subscribe to are so popular. There may well be cheaper ones around, of course.
Bette x

purplenanny

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2012, 06:01:54 PM »

Thanks Bette

Sorry for going off subject a bit ladies!!

Does anyone watch Loose Women? It is on at lunchtime but I don't catch it that often. It is quite interesting when I do though. Carol McGivern went back to her childhood home and while the house had been refurbished, the garden remained the same. The old path her Mum had laid with her bare hands was still there,as was her handprint in the cement. It was very moving,

Purplenannyx x

flushtered

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2012, 08:24:48 PM »

Hi PN, I watched it yesterday as I was on hol and do try to catch it when I'm off.  Did you see yesterday, Sheree was upset talking about whether she'd let her mum down in life and I felt like blubbing with her!  As I suspect Honeyb would confirm, it is very upsetting to have difficult relationships with our mothers.  I've been there too.

littleminnie

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2012, 08:27:47 PM »

PN, we have the Humax box. You don't pay a subscription, it is a hard drive that allows you to record 2 programmes and watch something that is pre recorded. Like Bette says you can't watch DVDs on it.
We got it from JL.
X

purplenanny

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2012, 08:47:06 PM »

Thanks littleminnie, what a funny name ;D

flushtered, I did not see that one but can imagine it being emotional. Sherrie comes over as scatty but I think she is a very sensitive person, bless, that must have been hard for her. Might watch it on catch up

Anyone an Eastenders fan?

Purplenanny x x

catweazle

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2012, 02:19:17 PM »

Did anyone see The Food Doctor last night on channel 4?
I love this programme. I have digestive problems (multiple food intolerances) so this show is right up my street.
One of the participants was a little boy with severe eczema who turned out to have a milk allergy. His parents had been at their wits' end having tried all manner of creams from the GP. Once his allergy had been identified and he had eliminated milk from his diet his symptoms improved dramatically. I do feel that a lot of the time GPs simply treat the symptoms of disease without getting to the root cause. There were other interesting stories including one about a woman with rheumatoid arthritis.

It's on 4OD catch up. Worth a look for anyone interested in the relationship between diet and wellbeing.

Catweazle x

catweazle

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2012, 02:31:46 PM »

I've just watched MODERN FAMILY as recommended by SUZIQ.  :thankyou:

I have a Tivo box which is a devil to fathom out, very complicated to use, but I managed to do a search for Modern Family and it found it for me on Sky2! It's on at 4pm, 2 shows back to back. I've watched the first, pilot episode so far. It looks good!  :) Thanks Suzi!
My Tivo will find and record all the episodes for me as I've set a series link. How good is that?
Hubby hates the Tivo cos he can't be bothered learning how to use it, typical bloke  ::)
There's a lot of things I don't like about it but it does have it's good points. Got LOADS of storage space too.

Catweazle x

littleminnie

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2012, 08:29:53 PM »

Homeland series 2 - 30 September I think.

Anne B

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2012, 10:33:28 PM »

Thanks Littleminnie
Can't wait. Was one of my favourites.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23