Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Alternate Day Fasting  (Read 77831 times)

Billie Blaster

Re: Alternate Day Fasting
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2013, 09:18:13 PM »

I know that the long-lived people of a certain Japanese Island (can't remember the name) always cease eating before they feel full (takes 10 minutes for the stomach to fully register your intake) and seem to greatly benefit from not putting the strain on their bodies that over consumption leads to. 

However, what I have found fantastic is cutting out wheat.  I think I've been suffering from an intolerance for a couple of decades, and what a difference.  My bloated tummy has gone, I'm less gassy, the dreaded plunge into overwhelming fatigue after eating from which I would never rally has gone, and I can think more clearly and remember more easily.  And it has not been nearly as hard as I thought, although I do like playing around with recipes and cooking, so that helps. I'll never go back now and wish I had tried it sooner.

boojess

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2013, 12:46:38 PM »

Hello everyone!
Please can someone tell me if my last meal was at 6pm would i be right in thinking I could eat again at 6pm the following night (taking into account my 400 cal)
Thank you
boojess

Firewalker50

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2013, 04:45:05 PM »

Hi

When I watched the programme, my understanding was that it is a day - not specifically 24hours from 1 time to another.

Example:  I eat normallyone day, go to bed. Get up and the next day eat only 400-500 cals.  Suggestion was at lunch-time although the reporter found it easier to have breakfast instead.

The principle is that you stop for long enough that the body uses current reservesd but not for long enough that it winds down as if in protection from starvation mode as a long term very low calorie diet can do.

Hope that makes sense.

Fx

Taz2

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2013, 04:52:06 PM »

I found this article from the Daily Express interesting. Women over 50 seem to be ok though.

CAVEMAN FASTING DIET MAY LEAVE WOMEN DIABETIC

The 5:2 diet can have a detrimental effect on your health

Sunday January 27,2013
By Jane Symons

THE 5:2 weight-loss fad has been heralded as a miracle plan that boosts brain cells while reducing your risk of cancer and dementia but, as JANE SYMONS discovers, regular fasting has worrying health implications for women.
You probably know someone who is on the 5:2 fasting diet, you may even have tried it yourself.
Its promise to melt away pounds with minimal pain is seductive and, unlike so many fad diets, comes with promises of extraordinary health benefits. Just like the Atkins, cabbage soup and blood group diets before it, however, the latest flavour of the month weight loss regime could leave a bad taste in the mouth.
The few studies which confirm its benefits also reveal a potentially dangerous divide.
Intermittent fasting is very effective for men but potentially dangerous for many women.
There is increasing evidence that women are less likely to lose weight and more prone to unpleasant side effects such as insomnia, impaired fertility and increased stress hormones.
According to Michael Moseley, the doctor turned-television presenter who popularised this new approach to weight loss, the proof is in the pudding (which remains on the menu for five out of seven days). After trying the feast-and-famine regime for five weeks for the BBC documentary Eat, Fast and Live Longer, he lost almost a stone and reduced his body fat, cholesterol and blood sugar.
He also halved his levels of IGF-1, an insulin-like growth factor, which increases the risk of cancer. However Dr Catherine Collins, Chief Dietician at London's St George's Hospital, warns that basic differences in biology make it effective for men, but unsuitable for many women.
For starters, men have a higher percentage of muscle, which gives them a faster metabolism, so if a man and woman of comparable size restrict their intake to 800 calories a day the man will lose more weight.
Their greater muscle mass also protects men from some of the downsides of the diet. Dr Collins explains: “The average adult turns over 300grams of protein a day.
Eighty per cent of that is recycled, broken down and reused; a bit like Lego bricks, but after a certain period of time these proteins become worn out and are lost to the body.
“What we cannot salvage, we need to replace and once you start skipping meals you will compromise your intake.
“Protein is non-negotiable, and unlike other micronutrients you need it every day, but men have a higher reserve of muscle they can call on for protein during fasting days.”
The simplicity of 5:2 dieting is undeniable.
You eat normally for five days a week and cut calories to 500 (for women) and 600 (for men) a day for the other two, using diet shakes or the low carbohydrate “paleo” diet of our caveman ancestors.
Advocates argue that it is easy to stick to, prolongs life and reduces the risk of cancer, heart disease, diabetes and dementia.
However, Dr Susan Jebb, head of diet and population health at the Medical Research Council cautions: “As with every new diet that comes along there are always more claims made for it than are supported by the science.”
Large population studies which appear to confirm the benefits of fasting are not always as clear cut as they seem. For instance, one which analysed the health records of 4,629
Americans reported that intermittent fasting reduced the risk of heart disease by 39 per cent, but the fasting group was made up almost entirely of Mormons, who also shun alcohol, tobacco, coffee and other unhealthy habits as part of their faith.
Even those who promote fasting admit the evidence is patchy. After reviewing all the published trials, Professor Krista Varady who featured in the BBC documentary admitted: “The human studies are limited, they all lacked control groups and used short trial lengths.”
Closer examination of the handful of smaller, well-controlled studies on fasting reveal that women may actually miss out on the much-touted improvements in glucose tolerance and insulin responses and could actually increase their risk of developing diabetes.
The danger was identified in a 2005 study published in Obesity Research which tracked eight men and eight women as they tried intermittent fasting for three weeks. All were a healthy weight or carrying only a few extra pounds, with BMIs between 20 and 30.
At the end of the trial there was no insulin improvements in the women and their glucose response got worse, while the men had no glucose changes and their insulin response improved.
American scientist, author and blogger Stefani Ruper, who was one of the first to question the safety of the 5:2 regime, warns: “The IF regime was not just neutral for women, but was downright harmful.”
In part, this may be due to differences in the way we store fat. Women are most likely to be pear-shaped and pile extra pounds on to their hips while men become apple-shaped and gain weight around their middle, which is much more dangerous and increases the odds of developing diabetes and heart disease.
Dr Collins says: “You would expect men to benefit more because the natural distribution of their body fat predisposes them to metabolic syndrome [a precursor to diabetes]. Losing weight around the middle will increase insulin sensitivity, and reduce their risk.”
This dangerous apple-shape becomes more common in women after menopause, which suggests there may be some benefits to the 5:2 regime for those over 50. However, for younger women there are serious concerns about fasting and fertility.
Studies at the American National Institute on Ageing found that when rats are put on a restricted diet the females stop ovulating and their ovaries shrink.
They also become increasingly alert and active, which may account for the fact women are also more susceptible to insomnia on the 5:2 regime.
Lead researcher Bronwen Martin says these changes may explain why women are more vulnerable to anorexia and that also worries Dr Collins.
Eating disorders are rooted in psychological problems, but she says fasting encourages “disordered eating” and that could tip at-risk dieters into a full-blown eating disorder. “Fasting creates a feeling of euphoria because blood sugar is running quite moderately and that can be addictive. It is very important that you don't do more than two days a week,” she says.
We have to get away from this idea that the 5:2 diet is a panacea, an optimum diet. It isn't.
Dr Collins
The warning is borne out by research at Columbia University which found changes in female brain chemistry are directly related to food intake; the greater the hunger, the bigger the impact.
In female rats, even a modest cut in calories triggers a sharp increase in corticosterone levels and encourages the body to lay down fat stores, according to studies at the National Institute of Ageing.
In males, intake had to be slashed by 40 per cent before there was any change in the diet-busting hormone.
Dr Collins says, “We have to get away from this idea that the 5:2 diet is a panacea, an optimum diet. It isn't.”
All the evidence suggests it undoubtedly works for men and it may work for overweight or obese women, but those who don't need to shed a lot of weight may have a lot more to lose than a few pounds"

Taz x

kes

« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2013, 12:32:15 PM »

I just thought I'd share my husband's experience of 5:2 fasting, which he has been doing since last August.   He sticks rigidly to the 600 calories on fast days, and doesn't overeat on other days - however he has only lost about half a stone since he started.  His weight goes up and down - he started at just over 13 stone, and has been down as low as 12, but seems to hover around 12.5 or so.

He likes it and thinks it is doing him good.  I watched the original TV programme and was impressed, but am not doing it myself. I got too hungry and miserable on fast days.  I prefer to watch overall calorie intake.

Joyce

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2013, 01:06:07 PM »

I'm not into dieting as a rule as I seldom stick to them, but would never do anything as drastic as fasting, even on alternate days.  Not sure I could cope with that or whether it would be good for my body long term.
 I have started diet which has an app for my mobile and so far have lost half a stone. I eat normal food, record it and at the end of day it tells me how many calories I've eaten.  It's easiest when I can exercise too.  I've given myself an initial target and will see after that. I do go over slightly sometimes, but it's still less than I used to eat.

Taz2

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2013, 05:10:22 PM »

OH is on a diet and has lost almost four stone since the end of July. His exercise regime is impressive though and he has gradually increased it so that he is now walking over 70 miles a week plus an hours swimming a day - split into half an hour at 6 a.m. and half an hour at 6 p.m. He feels so much better. Mind you I feel guilty when we are in the pub and I drink my wine and he has water.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2013, 08:45:06 PM »

How far does he walk each day Taz? And how long does it take him.

Honeyb
X

Firewalker50

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2013, 09:47:42 PM »

OH is on a diet and has lost almost four stone since the end of July. His exercise regime is impressive though and he has gradually increased it so that he is now walking over 70 miles a week plus an hours swimming a day - split into half an hour at 6 a.m. and half an hour at 6 p.m. He feels so much better. Mind you I feel guilty when we are in the pub and I drink my wine and he has water.

Taz x

What a great result!  Well done your OH. 

Fx

Joyce

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2013, 10:34:19 PM »

Good for him Taz!  I'm hoping to lose around 2 stones or so. I realise that I will have to keep at it though. Maintaining afterwards will be the hardest bit.

Taz2

« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2013, 12:07:43 AM »

He does a 4 mile walk when he gets in from work after a bowl of shredded wheat and then a 5 mile one later in the evening. At weekends he does a 7 mile one followed by the 5 mile one later. It has rather taken over his life. He has totally changed his diet too under the guidance of his doctor. He seems to live on shredded wheat and low calorie ready meals! He gave up alcohol too. I am proud of him but I hope he knows when to stop - it is so addictive!  He was 18.5 stone when he started.

I'm not sure how long it takes him Honeyb. He started off with only 2 mile walks and has gradually increased. I think the 7 miler takes around hour and a half - probably just over.

Taz x

pixie

« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2013, 01:43:35 PM »

How are the ladies doing with this fasting for two days?  Has anyone discovered the best low calorie, protein full breakfast to have for around 250 calories, so that  your tummy doesn't rumble too much  during the day?  :)

sandi

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2013, 09:01:43 AM »

My husband and I have been on the 5:2 fasting since September last year and it has made an amazing difference to our lives.  I am 56, and I have had a tough menopause with chronic pain forcing me to end my career as a physiotherapist last year.  My husband has chronic kidney failure brought about by an untreated strep throat infection 14 years ago, and we were both heavier than we wanted to be.  I am 5ft 6ins and in my early adult life had been around 9.5 stone, last year I topped the scale at 11st 11lbs, and on holiday had 4 rolls of fat round my middle.  We heard about the Horizon programme, and met someone who was fasting (just liquids) on 2 days a week.  We researched it all, and decided to just get on with it and do it.  We were particularly interested in the health benefits side of things, especially the chronic pain for me and kidney failure for my husband, and the thought of 'cell regeneration' brought about by the hunger 'trigger' particularly appealed.

Well!  5 months on, my husband has lost almost 3 stone, and I have lost a stone and a half.  We have got the body shapes back from 20+ years ago, I am actually a size 10 - unbelievable.  And!  My pain is much much less in my legs particularly - we have just got back from a 5 day break in Rome (10th wedding anniversary celebration), and we must have walked over 25 miles.  I could never have done that last year, I had trouble even walking to the end of the street.

The most amazing thing though is that my husbands kidney function has gone up!  His EGFR (estimated glomerular filtration rate) had got as low as 17.9%, and dialysis was about to be started if he got near to 15%, but when he saw the consultant 2 weeks ago, it had risen to 21.4%.  Too big a rise to be just a glitch in measurement.

The fasting is now a way of life for us, very easy - sometimes a little bit challenging, as eating of course is not just about filling our bellies.  We are committed to it, and don't cheat, though we alter it to fit our social lives - we didn't fast at all in Rome of course.  It works, it has undoubtedly improved our lives, I am getting rid of all my 'big' clothes as I know I will never need them again.  As Jon Kabbat Zin said about meditating - "You just have to do it!"

If any ladies out there need any advice or support, I am happy to give it.  I feel that I have given myself a huge gift - my body back! I can't believe I let myself get so out of hand for so long.

Rowan

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2013, 09:23:13 AM »

Sandi your post is really inspiring,I only wish I could follow the rules of the diet, I think it really helps if you have a partner willing to eat the same way, I know mine would not, so I do it my own way and don't eat after five or six in the evening, and eat breakfast at about nine in the morning.

The good thing about this way of eating is that it has medical approval too.

pixie

« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2013, 01:52:04 PM »

Sandi, that is absoultely brilliant :congrats: How inspiring for us all.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17