Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 68

Author Topic: Tonight on the menu is ...  (Read 198845 times)

Joyce

Re: Tonight on the menu is ...
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 08:33:54 AM »

Well tonight it's going to be Corned Beef Hash, on top of fried onions. Cheap and cheerful in our house tonight.  ;D  Well we were out for tea last night at a Brazilian restaurant.  ;D

Tea and Toast

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2012, 08:37:21 AM »

Tonight I am making a mid-week roast with my son who has just moved out but not too far away. It's the first ime he will have done a roast using his electric oven. We have gas here. So chicken, pigs in blankets, roast potatoes scored and done in olive oil with rosemary & carrots, green beans & parsnips. Also stuffing balls and apple sauce. Sounds like Christmas!! Actually if it goes well- I may be suggesting we go to him for Christmas this year!!!!

purplenanny

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2012, 08:38:32 AM »

mmmm.. I had forgotten all about corned beef hash! loved it with baked beans!!

The grandchildren are coming today so we are having fresh meatballs with tomato and basil sauce and pasta swirls. With home made rocky road for pudding (them, not me sadly!)

Love this topic!

Joyce

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »

PN our two hated it, so it's only since they've both moved out that we started eating it again.  When DD, partner & DGD were here in May I served it up to DGD, she'd never had it before as her mum refuses to make it, and she gobbled it up, cleanest plate ever!  ;)

san

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2012, 08:59:11 AM »

My nan use to give it to me with baked beans. I loved it. Will try it on GS  :D

I'm out tonight so for quickness we will have chicken breast in breadcrumbs, rice with peas and sweet chilli sauce on the side.

Good way of training him up Tea and Toast  ;)

Jillymoo

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2012, 10:16:42 AM »

Tonight I want to have a go at a recipe from the Gok Wan cookbook that I got fro my birthday last week  :)

Daughter is away camping and OH will eat owt. . . .so great time to have an experiment or two  ;)

But first. . . . I need to go purchase a wok!

Love reading the meal ideas ladies,I'm always shredding my brains thinking what to do for supper for a change  :)

xx

pj44

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2012, 11:51:52 AM »

I have this habit of eating the same thing every evening till i'm sick of it and then i go onto something else. At the moment its  minced pork which i fry of then add garlic, 2 tins of toms, mushrooms, kidney beans and then have rice with it. i make a large pan of it and then will eat it for 3 nights and then start again. Having said that though tonight i am having chicken in breadcrumbs and new potatoes and cauliflower cheese tomorr will start with the mince. I always have a pudding. At the moment i have a peach crumble on the go tonights the last night of that.

menomax

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2012, 12:20:49 PM »

Mmm, my dad made a fab corned beef hash.

I've got a party to go to in a couple of weeks and my dress is a bit tight, so I'm trying to be good.  I'm  having salmon with lemon and parsley, salad & a couple of new potatoes from the garden.  OH and son will have spag bol and salad, followed by left over cheesecake.

Scampi

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2012, 12:33:51 PM »

Beginning to think I'm the only person in the world that doesn't do pudding!  Even when we go out for a meal I would rather have a starter than a pudding (very rarely have 3 courses).  Just occasionally there'll be something on a pudding menu that Lady P and I both fancy, then we share!

menomax

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2012, 12:44:31 PM »

We only have pudding on Sundays, unless it's leftovers.  Fruit(me)  & yogurts(OH & Son) the rest of the week.

Tea and Toast

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2012, 12:55:52 PM »

If we have a very light meal like salad or fish we may have a dessert but otherwise I am usually too full! It is nice having an ice cream or fruit or something though.
I always remember on Eastenders Robbie looked all suspicious when Bianca (or one of his others can't remember which!) gave him dessert and he exclaimed "a two course meal?!!! What are you after?!!!"
Every time I give DH a dessert he does the same!!! But adds "whatever it is you're after - you've got it!!!!!"
The best way is definitely through their stomachs!!!!!!

menomax

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2012, 04:32:09 PM »

I think your right Susan.  I also grew up having 'afters' every night.  It was usually tinned fruit with carnation milk, rice pudding or swiss roll and custard. We never had biscuits etc, unless it was for special occasions.

san

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2012, 04:55:21 PM »

We rarely have a pudding now. Even on a Sunday if we do then it will be a iceream of some kind or, I have a fancy for something (like the rice pudding last night).
When DD was small I would make pudding but then I was home all day so had the time. Rice pudding, apple pie, crumbles ....

Dinner when I was small always involved a pudding. I loved my Nan's crumbles and pies. She would often give my mum one for us to take home :D

pixie

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »

Some really nice meal ideas.  Since when did Gok Wan turn to cookery instead of makeovers??!! ;D
I had fish and chips today as by the sea. ;)

Joyce

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2012, 06:16:54 PM »

He's had a cookery prog on tv for a while now, though I never watched it, maybe it's finished.

As for puds I used to always make a pudding every night.  But gave up to try and lose some weight, didn't work.  Though I do still make an effort at the weekend.  Crumbles, steamed puds etc especially in the winter.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 68