Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 74

Author Topic: For all of us looking after elderly relatives  (Read 256966 times)

honeybun

Re: For all of us looking after elderly relatives
« Reply #285 on: June 06, 2013, 08:03:48 AM »

My step father drove well into his eighties, mind you no one would get in the car with him and he forgot to stop in his garage once.

Where I stay on the coast has a very large retirement population. In fact it's know as God's waiting room.
We have a lot of little old ladies puttering about in cars and doing 20 miles an hour on the roads.
You need to move up here Taz when the time comes and you can drive for as long as you want.   ;D

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #286 on: June 06, 2013, 09:36:17 AM »

Taz I got what you were trying to tell us  ;)

I remember when we talked to my parents about Dad should stop driving Mum went berserk and I don't say that lightly  :-\ ...... but once he had put the car into the garage and they began using taxis, her narcissism turned to something else  ::)

Oh to retire by the sea but as stated, I would SO miss our ponds

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #287 on: June 06, 2013, 09:50:14 AM »

I've been thinking about getting someone in to do some light cleaning for Mum.  A few months ago she was saying how tired she gets and I suggested it and she was quite pleased.  I spoke to 2 local women and they were both fully booked.

Next time I mentioned it again she wasn't so keen and I believe one of the brothers must have said something because she said "I can manage most days".  Neither of them like people going to the house for some reason yet Mum loves any visitors.

I go over every couple of months and do the house right through thoroughly but I don't want to start going in cleaning every week.  She understands I have enough to do here and also I do all her other PA/driving/hospitals/hair/dentist/holiday/shopping jobs etc.

I have got 2 more numbers of women to ring and I must do that soon.

CLKD

« Reply #288 on: June 06, 2013, 10:58:34 AM »

Have you looked in the back of The Lady magazine or contacted WRVS or AgeUK?  Is there a local 'rag' - the one Mum gets lists several ladies with good quailifications that live in her village.

honeybun

« Reply #289 on: June 06, 2013, 12:59:02 PM »

There are more than just social service carers. My mother has a private company ( on contract to social services ) but they have ladies who will come and do whatever the person wants even just to keep them company.
This company charge £15 an hour.

It could be an idea to call round some of the private care companies to see what's on offer.

Oh and ignore your brother.

Honeyb
X

CLKD. We do have ponds by the sea.  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #290 on: June 06, 2013, 04:26:02 PM »

But not my ponds  ::)  £15.00 is reasonable I would have thought?

Taz2

« Reply #291 on: June 06, 2013, 04:38:46 PM »

"You need to move up here Taz when the time comes and you can drive for as long as you want."

Thanks Honeybun  there is hope after all!!

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #292 on: June 06, 2013, 08:11:20 PM »

We used to have an elderly neighbour that had to hold onto things to get to the car. He then used to get in it and drive.  :o

He was positively dangerous. There are so many of them in this area. We do have some great second hand cars in this area though. As old as the hills with hardly any miles on the clock and never taken over 30 miles an hour.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #293 on: June 07, 2013, 11:14:55 AM »

However, short journeys can ruin cars  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #294 on: June 07, 2013, 06:46:14 PM »

We are really are rural up here CLKD. There really is no where much to go if you don't like long journeys. The nearest motorway is 30 odd miles away and its only a little one.

Most of the elder population cars don't go terribly far and are usually low mileage and a great buy.

The only thing is the salt air....it can play havock with your body work and I don't just mean the cars.    ;D

My mum is very very grumpy tonight. I am off tomorrow and there is going to be a lack of housework done.   On dear
Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #295 on: June 07, 2013, 07:45:55 PM »

.... " oh dear" .....  ;D

You go away and enjoy.  Remember: if she is grumpy on your return, tell her : "I have had a good week without too much worrying (even if you have been) and have decided that, if you continue to be grumpy with me despite what I do for you, I will arrange agency staff instead.  I have had enough.  What Sis decides is up to her.  I have a family to consider as well as my own health"!

Or you could send her a post card whilst you are away with similar wording - "You may be missing me but I am not msising your moans and groans.  Think about what sis and I do for you each week and how much more intrusive agency staff would be.  The choice is yours".

Enough is enough Honeybun  ;)  putting foot down with firm hand does become easier the more one practices!

honeybun

« Reply #296 on: June 07, 2013, 07:58:18 PM »

Yes boss

;D

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #297 on: June 07, 2013, 08:03:19 PM »

Are you ready for your break .........  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #298 on: June 07, 2013, 08:07:20 PM »

Yes packed up.

See the holiday topic for small spanner in the works.

Hey ho ......Nothing runs smooth.

Honeyb
X

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #299 on: June 07, 2013, 08:15:31 PM »

I rang my Mum tonight with my fingers crossed but that was a waste of time.  I was hoping she'd say not to bother going over tomorrow to take  her shopping etc.

Hope this is not TMI but I've had an upset tummy and diarrhoea for 2 days and she is quite obsessive about catching any ailments and usually says to stay away until you're better.

I feel OK today TBH but I would have loved a free weekend.  She says she feels very tired and has written down all the times she's had to go to sleep in the last few days  ::) I stopped her RIGHT in her tracks, I have enough with listening to what time she takes her "medication".  I said "that's OK, if you feel tired we'll come straight home. We'll just do a very quick shop and not bother getting lunch or anything."    She said she would probably be OK.  ;) ;D ;D
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 74