Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: How long before it kicks in?  (Read 4489 times)

JRB

How long before it kicks in?
« on: May 14, 2013, 09:57:03 AM »

hi Everyone,
Just discovered this forum and been reading through the site, already feeling better that I'm not some unusual weird middle aged woman going slightly potty.
I am 53 and been having menopause symptoms for 7 years. I have been wanting to get by without HRT as my sister has had breast cancer (now in remission). On 3rd May after a chat the doctor prescribed me a low dose pill- Femoston conti 0.5/2.5. She was keen to say that HRT would make me feel really good but there would be a stage when I would need to come off it and the symptoms could be just as bad then so did I really want to try it. Well I do because it would be lovely to feel "really good" for a while! Well I am now 12 days in and not feeling any different - fatigue, anxiety and several hot flushes throughout the day/night.
Looking at this site my HRT prescription is described as an "ultra low dose" and there is a step up "low dose" of 1mg/5mg.
What have your experiences been about dosage levels and kick in times?
Is it too soon to go back and ask for the higher dosage?
Thanks
:)

ladybird52

Re: How long before it kicks in?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »

Hello JRB, I am also on a combined low dose and have been taking it for 4 months but I noticed a difference within 2 days when the hot flushes stopped and I've not had one since although it has taken longer to get my sleeping pattern back to normal.  Still very early days but so far so good and I feel so much better and anxiety levels have decreased too It is nice to feel my old self again.  I am also very new to HRT so perhaps one of the other ladies with more experience will reply and suggest what you should do.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 12:39:08 PM »

Hi JRB

:welcomemm:

I haven't taken HRT tablets but just would say it is good to increase the dose slowly as it does minimise the chance of side effects. Sudden increase in oestrogen (and progestogen) can cause undesirable side effects for some women. I would wait a few more days (so eg you have been on them 3 weeks) and if no improvement at all, I would phone the doc and ask if you can double it (ie take two tabs) so that it is the low dose.

I use patches and noticed improvement within a few days.

I can see the caution re the breast cancer potential risk, but under 60 the benefits of HRT are thought to outweigh the risks. There is a greater risk of breast cancer if overweight, inadequate exercise, smoking and too much alcohol, unhealthy diet, so if any of these need addressing I would deal with these and opt to increase the HRT!

This idea about experiencing symptoms in the future when coming off HRT - I am hoping that if/when I come off HRT the symptoms will be far less and anyway I will have had eg 10 years of good quality of life and when I am working, so any doc that uses that argument is talking rubbish!! I won't mind so much when retired, I hope! ( I am 60 - been on for 6 years - will be pensioner in just over 3 years!)

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Hurdity x

JRB

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 06:29:11 AM »

Thank you both for your replies. Excellent advice. I shall wait another week and see how I feel before going back to see the doctor. Having a flush as I write this, really expected them to have stopped if taking HRT.
I shall post again when there are any developments to report.
Thanks again :) :thankyou: