Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Soap residue (washing smells )  (Read 100998 times)

Taz2

Re: washing smells
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2012, 01:27:01 PM »

littleminnie

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2012, 03:47:53 PM »

Taz you are a mind of information. I think you should change your name to Wiki.   :)
LM x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2012, 04:41:46 PM »

I vary the types of powder I use.  Occasionally I add a liquid 'pink' cleaner and sometimes a comfort-type liquid to soften towels.  In recent months I've had now nasty whiffs from the machine.  That co-incideded with the Water Company lifting the hose-pipe ban so I do wonder if there was less water getting through from the Companies  >:(

grandy

« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2012, 05:50:25 PM »

I think it is definitely the liquid detergent that causes the smells. Someone told me that too and since I changed back to powder I have had no more smells. Think that was a couple of years ago.

Taz2

« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2012, 06:09:56 PM »

Littleminnie - I only have that link because my local washing machine repairer always leaves it with his customers. Of course I keep forgetting to do the maintenance wash much like I forget to check the filter...

Taz x  :D

Bette

« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2012, 06:24:19 PM »

I seem to be ok using the liquid detergent but I do run the "tub clean" programme every now and then.
Bette x

CLKD

« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2012, 06:41:05 PM »

What a waste of water  >:( - I put towels/sheets through on a very hot wash (60) and haven't had whiffy laundry problems since we went off the hosepipe ban  ::)

limpy

« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2012, 06:58:08 PM »

Discussed this washing smell problem with OH, who used to do research with a firm that makes washing powder, liquid and other things besides.

The question, is liquid detergent less likely to cause smells?
The answer, no, makes no difference.

Apparently the problem arises when debris is left in the machine after washing, and rinsing removes all detergent, which lets bacteria grow,  so then smells develop. Who am I to argue?

CLKD

« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2012, 07:37:05 PM »

debris being what exactly?  I did a tissue wash last week  >:(  ::) - 3 pairs of jeans and mine had one in a pocket ......

flushtered

« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2012, 07:46:38 PM »

I used to find screws and bolts after washing older son's work trousers, despite checking them before they went in - good job he's moved out as not good for my machine.  ::)

limpy

« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2012, 08:20:54 PM »

CLKD apparently debris is just the general detritus (sp?) of washing. Fabric gets eroded over time, and that sticks to the inside of the machine. Also we should never forget tissues, well I shouldn't, forever leaving them in jeans

Bette

« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2012, 07:55:17 AM »

What a waste of water   - I put towels/sheets through on a very hot wash (60) What a waste of electricity!
Bette x

Joyce

« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2012, 10:44:41 AM »

I did a tissue wash last week  >:(  ::) - 3 pairs of jeans and mine had one in a pocket ......

I did several CLKD in my new washing machine!  Hubby was to blame.  Have told him umpteen times to remove tissues from his pockets as it's not my job to check them.    ::)  He carries wads of the things in every pair of trousers/shorts.  Paper snow was falling outside as clothes dried in the wind!  ;D

Bette

« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2012, 11:20:24 AM »

My mum's the culprit here; she always has umpteen tissues in every pocket.  ::)
Bette x

honeybun

« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2012, 01:26:15 PM »

I always try to use the Eco wash on my machine but every so often I will put towels and or sheets through a really hot wash.
I dont get smells but I think that because my machine is used so often they dont get a chance to start. There are four of us and that means a lot of washing every week.  :o

Honeyb
x
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13