Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Soap residue (washing smells )  (Read 100815 times)

san

Re: washing smells
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 07:48:02 AM »

I use the Vanish Oxi Multi. Good at getting rid of stains. When OH was working I used the Vanish spray on the collars of his shirts to get rid of marks. It worked for me.

Bette

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 08:58:40 AM »

I usually use the "quick wash" facility on my machine - it's called "30 min wash" but takes between 35 and 50 depending on which temp and spin speed you choose. I find tha clothes come out just as clean as on the longer 1hr 30+ washes and was wondering why. Maybe it's because the water is heated up quicker so the clothes are actually in hot water for longer?  ??? I only use Ecover stuff - the stain remover is brilliant - and usually wash on 30 or 40 degrees. Even with my old machine I rarely washed above 40, apart from the dog's bedding and towels. I do the "tub clean" fairly regularly with Calgon.
Bette x

Taz2

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 09:07:32 AM »

I gave up on the quick wash on mine - it didn't clean anything! My quick wash is supposed to take 46mins but sometimes takes around half an hour longer. This is because the water from the mains is sometimes warmer or colder depending on outside temperatures and other things! I am still researching but I have uncovered loads of complaints about the cold fill  machines. Apparently people are paying good prices for old hot and cold fill!

Taz x

Bette

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 09:43:40 AM »

This is making me feel less guilty about buying an expensive machine! I got it a couple of years ago when we revamped the kitchen. First time we'd had one in the kitchen here - old one was in the outside boiler room (still is, use it to wash the dog's stuff.) I was thinking that as I wasn't using many of the fancy programmes and facilities, I'd wasted my money but as it does seem to clean everything well (which, thinking back, is what the reviews said) maybe it was worth it after all!
Bette x

Taz2

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 10:24:43 AM »

What sort is it Bette? Is it cold-fill only?

Taz x

Bette

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 10:56:44 AM »

It's an LG. It's the one with the steam/refresh programme which, in retrospect, is wasted on us as we don't have the sort of smart shirts/blouses that it's designed for.  ::) I think that it's cold-fill - had a look outside in boiler room and can only see one pipe and it's got a blue tap. My old one was a Dyson and was great but they've stopped making them.  :(
Bette x

Bette

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 01:16:30 PM »

the pyrolitic self cleaning oven - have to say, that was the best decision I made when we had the kitchen done. Next best was the induction hob.
Bette x

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 01:17:14 PM »

Another thing which can cause washing to smell is believe it or not - conditioner.  Most people switch from brand to brand and don't check how strong it is.  More and more firms are going over to "Concentrated" or "Super Concentrated" and people are putting it in without realising and not diluting it as they should! 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 01:56:04 PM »

I hardly ever use vanish or conditioner because the powder I use should do the 'job' without adding extras.  It's playing on the housewife's guilt trip  >:(.  Occasionally I use either if I think the laundry requires it.  Thanks for all the advice, I have opened up a can of worms  ::)

san

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 03:36:33 PM »

... I have opened up a can of worms  ::)
Yep  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 04:17:43 PM »

This is what I am saying CLKD - the powder SHOULD do the job but with some of the new machines it doesn't due to a very small amount of cold water being used instead of a nice half drum full of hot water and you have to resort to extras to get a good result.

Taz x

san

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 05:32:53 PM »

so the new machines are suppose to be economical, and save the planet, but the reality is we spend more on cleaning products and pump them into the planet so destroying it just as quick ... guess a man thought this all up  >:( ::)

Taz2

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2012, 05:39:14 PM »

It does sound crazy - I resent paying out an extra £4 for something that I didn't need before. I still haven't finished gathering info yet.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2012, 06:58:59 PM »

:clapping:  I spoke to our village shop keeper today and her washing was smelly a couple of weeks ago so she's sold me a product which she used.  Maybe all that rain has caused problems for our machines ...........  ::)

Have run it on a 65d wash and will find laundry to put through on Monday.  watch this space  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2012, 03:01:42 PM »

I might try that Janie!

Taz x
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13