Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Soap residue (washing smells )  (Read 102601 times)

Dorothy

Re: washing smells
« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2015, 09:10:52 PM »

I used to use Ecover liquid and fabric conditioner.  My washing machine smelt and the clothes were never very clean.  Now I wash at 40 using Simply pure tabs and vinegar for the fabric conditioner.  Clothes are clean and the machine doesn't smell.  The powder tabs dissolve fine as long as I chuck them right at the back of the machine.  If I forget and put them too near the front, they sometimes get stuck in the rubber seal and don't dissolve. 

I'm in a very hard water area, but I guess I use enough vinegar to help.  Had the machine for 6 years (bought 2nd hand for £30) and it's never had any trouble.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2015, 09:33:08 PM »

we have hard water too! 

CLKD

« Reply #122 on: October 18, 2015, 09:50:35 AM »

The saga continues.  I did a load for my neighbour whose machine has 'broken' down.  Only to find that my programme stopped half way through  :o so DH had the outlet pipes off the wall and OH MY ! the gunge and gloop that had collected from previous wash; sludge, tissues, grit ......... sort that had solved the problem as my next load went through OK.  The following load stopped half way through so he now needs to clean out the U-bend - apparently.  Wonder if neighbour and I will get buy 1 get 1 free if we choose a washing machine at the same time  ;D

Note to you all: check the sludge in the outlet pipes!!!

CLKD

« Reply #123 on: October 18, 2015, 02:25:24 PM »

Machine won't select any programme except 'empty water' - well that's a relief then  ::)/  Left with soggy washing though.

Got the paper work out, we bought it [Zanussi] in May 2003.  Off shopping this week ……… don't want as many programmes but the important thing is to have as quick a spin cycle as possible! 

CLKD

« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2015, 12:01:23 PM »

New machine ordered - don't know delivery date yet.  Meantime, dripping laundry outside in the drizzle and in the bathroom  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2015, 12:20:09 PM »

I was pleasantly surprised!  Used several times a week ……. so I have gone for the same make with a larger drum size

CLKD

« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2015, 08:25:37 AM »

New Zanussi is lurking in our utility room - arrived at 8.15 a.m.  :o
Crikey the buttons are sensitive!  I only had to look at them and something clicked deep inside  :-\ and lights flashed on !
It is going through a 'maintenance' cycle.  However, I'm confused at the 'finish in' facility.   Don't know if it's on/not  ::) so my anxiety level is up  :-\ ………
It currently says 2.25 hours  :o.  At least I can alter the programme should it continue …..

Other clothing dripping on the line in heavy rain.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:53:34 AM by CLKD »

ellie

« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2015, 11:05:36 AM »

Don't talk to me about new washing machines......I got mine a week ago, and am thinking of booking into night school for some lessons  >:(.......Why do they have to make things SO complicated .......I just want to wash my laundry  ::). And I don't need twenty ************ programmes .....grrrrrr sorry rant over  :)

CLKD

« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2015, 01:03:57 PM »

Spin for delicates takes 11 mins., it required 2 - could have done with 3, that's those that were hanging on the line for a few days.  Coming to the end of a 'quick' cycle, 1 hour 57 mins. apparently at 60 deg..  Had it been without the 'quick' cycle, apparently it would take 3 hours  :-\ but it should adjust the time according to the load weight.  It's going to take a while to get accustomed  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #129 on: October 27, 2015, 11:26:27 PM »

DH stripped down the old washing machine today ……. took it apart, sorted bits for the recycling bin, some went into the land fill bin but he found that the outlet pipes were FULL of gunk.  So much for using Calgon etc., it would seem that the back up of the gunk probably caused the mother board to burn out = not reading the wash programme  ::)

Of course these pipes are not accessible to clean as they are buried deep in the guts of the machine  ::)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #130 on: October 28, 2015, 10:08:38 AM »

CLKD that's interesting.  Last year when we had our kitchen refitted the washing machine was parked outside in the garden so DH jetwashed the hoses and around the drum. The grey sludge that came out was unbelievable!! Bit too much effort to have to do that regularly though, getting it out of the kitchen and then back in once was bad enough!!

S x

A lot of that grey sludge is caused by using concentrated fabric conditioner.  People don't realise this, they just pick up any old bottle but they HAVE to dilute it as per instructions.  It's not like normal fabric conditioner which can be used neat.

CLKD

« Reply #131 on: October 28, 2015, 11:27:11 AM »

:o - never realised *that* ……… DH took even more of it apart yesterday and there was THICK sludge where the sun never shines  :o even with using Calgon-type products.  Not enough force of water to wash it all through ……… does the washing not smell of vinegar Dorothy?

I have found the 'short' programme - 60 degs cottons takes under 2 hours by a few minutes  ::) and it seems to rinse out the pipes before filling for the new programme.  Haven't found the 'make tea' button yet  :D

CLKD

« Reply #132 on: October 29, 2015, 02:09:37 PM »

Well Girls - in the 1st wash of 2-day I used powdered water 'softener' - when I pulled the drawer open, it hadn't gone through, lurked in a hard lump in the drawer  :-\ - not much softening going on there then  ::)

It took quite a sharp knife to remove it from the drawer.  There was already a build up and the machine arrived on Monday!  I am loathe to use liquid 'calgon'-type stuff as it's quite thick.  Think it will be a 90deg wash with Dr???? or MrMuscle in future!

Dorothy

« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2015, 08:28:12 AM »

:o - never realised *that* ……… DH took even more of it apart yesterday and there was THICK sludge where the sun never shines  :o even with using Calgon-type products.  Not enough force of water to wash it all through ……… does the washing not smell of vinegar Dorothy?

I notice a faint smell of vinegar when I unload the wash, but by the time it's dried, it just smells of clean fabric (because of course, there is no perfume from the conditioner to scent the clothes).  I have a very sensitive sense of smell, so I think I would probably notice if there was any vinegar odour still there.  My mother doesn't notice it at all, even when the machine is first opened. 

CLKD

« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2015, 05:03:11 PM »

White vinegar? 

Won't be using the powder water 'softener' again  ::)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13