Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 46

Author Topic: Pets Corner  (Read 143513 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Pets Corner
« Reply #600 on: June 12, 2018, 09:52:52 PM »

I was thinking about you in the early hours  ::)

Could you ring the Hospital at Newmarket - I had to take our dog there to get a definitive diagnosis for 'dry eye' in the 1980s.  They may have knowledge or interest?

Taz2

« Reply #601 on: June 12, 2018, 10:17:17 PM »

Thanks CLKD but I think that International Cat in Bristol has as good facilities. We've used them in the past when referred by our vet so I hope that the advice from them will help persuade the vet that all is not lost!

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #602 on: June 12, 2018, 10:36:40 PM »

:thankyou:

Taz2

« Reply #603 on: June 16, 2018, 11:23:30 AM »

Update*

After much discussion with the vets and lots of research the cat had his operation yesterday to try to locate the missing testicle and it was a success! Two not one testicles found. One fully grown and the other part formed. No wonder for the past ten years he's been acting like a tom.

He's recovering well and has to have a check-up on Monday. He absolutely hates the cone-of-shame but it is necessary to stop him licking his wound. The worst part is, and cat owners will understand this, he can't wash himself after eating and we all now how long that can take and how important it is in a cat's personal hygiene.

The journey isn't finished yet as there is still a chance that his behaviour won't change as at twelve he is quite old to be neutered but already his urine smells much more pleasant so that's one good result!

The vets are seeing him as an interesting case - it is not so rare to find one testicle undescended but very rare to find two in there. I think they all went into the operating room to have a look.  ;D

Let's hope we can put up with the scratching and pitiful miaowing at the spare bedroom door for the next week. He is much calmer if someone is in there with him but being confined is very new to him. We've set a camera up so we can watch without always opening the door to check.

Taz x  :cat48:

Two hoots

« Reply #604 on: June 16, 2018, 01:25:32 PM »

I was quite nervous to see what you had posted today, so it's a relief to read that the outlook is much more positive  :)

Krystal

« Reply #605 on: June 16, 2018, 02:17:30 PM »

Keep positive. You are both doing brilliantly.

Daisydot

« Reply #606 on: June 16, 2018, 02:33:24 PM »

What a wonderful story taz2 I'm so bloody happy for that cat lol.your such a star for not giving up on him big kiss from me.
I'm feeling really upset today after going on a lovely day trip to jallon valley I came across a pet shop with around a dozen white baby kittens full of fleas in cages it absolutely breaks my heart to see this and was one of the reasons I had to give up and return to the UK I just didn't have the stomach for any more of this shite that these countries find acceptable day in and day out.It really got to me again today.I hope your wee man goes from strength to strength he still has a good 6 years plus left in him so let's hope he rewards your persistence and love.i love you for just doing what you've done lol weirdo aren't I xx

CLKD

« Reply #607 on: June 16, 2018, 04:32:08 PM »

Daisydot you are not alone. I worked for a cat rescue place in the UK in the early 2000s and it broke my heart .........  :'(

Well done for taking the plunge Taz, there really was nowt to lose and everything to gain and he doesn't realise that he is different ;-).  Maybe a text book special even ?  Perhaps take some photos in case he can be on the cover of someone's Thesis  ;)

Don't they hate those collars  ::).  Is it a see-through one?    As long as he uses the litter tray, will you B spending the nights in there with him?

ariadne

« Reply #608 on: June 16, 2018, 09:03:51 PM »

Absolutely brilliant news. About those horrible collars....you can buy softer ones a bit like those you put round your neck on planes. But I've always wondered if you could put those plastic cones on upside down so they wouldn't be so clumsy and might still stop the cat reaching down below🤔🤔.  Maybe your patient could be my "test pilot" 😉

Ariadne xx

Taz2

« Reply #609 on: June 16, 2018, 10:32:58 PM »

Thanks for all of your lovely comments.

He's coping quite well and I've managed to sneak his antibiotic into pilchards in tomato sauce.

CLKD - It is a clear con. Yep I'll be spending the nights in there too. When we first brought him to live with us we put him in the spare room for a week while he got used to being contained and I discovered that his favourite bowel-movement time was 4.45 a.m. Not a particularly nice start to the day entailing me traipsing the tray down to the garage (accessible from the house thank goodness) emptying the tray, refilling the tray and then taking it back before having to feed him his breakfast if I didn't want his protest howls to wake up everyone.

He hates not being able to groom himself after eating - you don't realise how much of this they do until they can't! The vet did say that he might be better in a stretchy vest - much like a babygro - so I'll ask on Monday if he has to wear it for very long.

Ariadne - not sure they can go on upside down as the cat would be able to reach the places you don't want it to - good idea though. I've seen the softer ones too.

Off to give him his supper now and hopefully he'll settle down for the night. He did miaow a bit around 4 this morning but after a feed he was ok. Sounds like a baby!  ;D

Taz x

Cazikins

« Reply #610 on: June 17, 2018, 10:53:59 AM »

Oh that's good news Taz, I'm so happy the fella is still doing ok. Fingers crossed he gets many more happy years of doing what he enjoys. ;D ;D

My poor little dog's not been too brilliant this morning. All was normal on our walk this morning round the village, but she had 3 poos (she usually only does 2). Then she started staining to go again but nothing was coming out. This continued for about another 10 times, a dribble of coloured water came out but nothing solid...... sorry T.M.I. I know. Anyway we got back home & she was then sick, more straining etc but finally a little very small solid normal nugget popped out  :clapping: :clapping:.

She seems very tired now & is dosing beside me on the sofa. Just hope she's ok.

Cazi xx

CLKD

« Reply #611 on: June 17, 2018, 03:46:31 PM »

Slow transit ?  Maybe something fishy, like tuna with some oil?

paisley

« Reply #612 on: June 17, 2018, 04:36:10 PM »

I have a beautiful 11 year old Labrador who is blind as well. Yesterday the delivery man left the gate open by mistake & I didn't realize until 15 minutes later she had got out. I spent 8 hours looking for her & was frantic because we have ravines & I was convinced that she had fallen into one. I printed posters & put them on lamp posts. I asked everyone I saw out to look out for her. I had to stop searching at 12 last night as it was too dark. I started again this morning at 7. I was so worried about her being scared & blind somewhere. While I was out looking a lady rang up who was out walking & had found my dog & got the number from a poster. I couldn't believe it. I kept asking her if she was sure she had found her. I cried when I saw my dog again. The woman must have thought I was nuts. The relief. I can't imagine where she has been & it's a miracle she didn't fall down. I felt responsible & so so stressed. What we do for our pets

Taz2

« Reply #613 on: June 17, 2018, 04:42:01 PM »

What a horrible time for you. So pleased you have got her back safe and sound.

Taz xx

CLKD

« Reply #614 on: June 17, 2018, 05:16:29 PM »

A stern letter to the local Post Office is required! 

As well as a lock on the gate?  With a large printed sign explaining that the gate has to be kept locked due to the elderly blind dog living here.

I lost my dog it was the longest 11 mins. ever.  I feel sick even now, 25 years later  :-\

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 46