Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29

Author Topic: Bah Humbug! (Is it just me?)  (Read 97892 times)

Taz2

Re: Bah Humbug! (Is it just me?)
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 12:33:58 PM »

I just can't quite get to grips with the fact that I am the senior member now! Really miss my mum and dad and aunts and uncles - I wonder whether they all felt like this too!

Taz x

one year in

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 02:07:06 PM »

Oh boy, you're all making me think of packing my bags and heading back home for Christmas now!

Taz2

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 02:19:17 PM »

If you still have a "home" then do it (if you can of course) because one day that "home" wont be there.

Christmas is still lovely in our house of course as I make it like it used to be but inside myself it just isn't like it was.

Taz x

Jenny50

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 02:53:11 PM »

My OH is working all across Christmas but will be home for the important bits in between.  I've had a couple of invites for Christmas Day as he'll be gone till the evening which is lovely but I still feel really sad about it.  One invite will mean an hour's drive there and back but will still be worth it to have good company with relatives.  The other's from a good friend who will have her immediate family there so I don't want to feel I'm imposing.   I keep telling myself it's only a day and I'm lucky to have 2 invites but I do feel a twinge when I see all the adverts with the big family get togethers like we used to have many years ago.  When I hear friends moaning about having to have certain relatives I think they don't know how lucky they are to have loved ones still around.

san

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 04:57:47 PM »

Christmas is still lovely in our house of course as I make it like it used to be but inside myself it just isn't like it was.

Taz x
I feel exactly the same. Weird being the old ones now. it's my birthday too which makes me miss parents and relatives. My lovely daughter always makes it a bit special though  :)

Taz2

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2011, 05:48:54 PM »

Does anyone wonder how on earth we managed to eat all that Christmas Day food years ago?

Taz x

one year in

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2011, 07:51:31 PM »

OMG yes.  I'm not a slim person but I cannot eat anything like the amount I used to.  Alcohol really bothers me too and I used to be very fond of a tipple or two!  ;)

viv

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2011, 08:02:19 PM »

I intend to get back to enjoying Xmas on my terms. I still have my elderly mum with us which I enjoy. Everyone is coming to us on Xmas day for a light buffet lunch which I will enjoy. After that it will be a lovely restful day with no timetables or stress.

:hug:

For Bette

I am not at all surprised that Xmas is difficult for you but as you say you dont need one day so see your loved ones. I hope you have a peaceful day.

Honeyb
x

silverlady

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2011, 08:58:14 AM »

That sounds like bliss LD if you want something different, a completely stress free Christmas day, healthy and relaxing.

:congrats: on a great idea LD.

silverlady x

libby1

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2011, 12:33:09 PM »

Well we've decided not to cook much on Christmas Day and have a cold buffet instead. So I'm hoping we might get to the 10am carol service (it might make us feel more festive!)

I don't like New Year though and would rather go to bed except the fire works are always so loud  >:(

Libby
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2011, 02:40:55 PM »

I subscribe to Jacquie Lawson e-mail cards, worth a look-see for something different through out the year. Cards are down from the Loft, address book is ready to open  ::)

libby1

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2011, 07:28:34 PM »

Morwenna, no fireworks at New Year are not new although there does seem to be many more of then than there used to be!

I don't enjoy doing Christmas cards, seems like a waste of time unless it's to people you don't see often!

Libby
x

san

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 07:45:02 PM »

Funny with the card chat. I come at it fom a different angle. If people don't bother keeping in touch during the year why send them card? this thinking has reduced my list and no one seems unhappy with it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 07:47:07 PM by san »

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2011, 07:53:13 PM »

I haven't done Xmas cards for 5 or 6 years now.  I was under the weather one year & just couldn't be bothered writing, buying stamps, posting etc.  I gave a donation to a charity close to my heart instead.  The next year I did the same but for another fave charity.

I wished all neighbours a Happy Xmas personally as I bumped into them, I saw close family anyway and just close friends who don't live around here, I sent a funny Xmas email.

Last year I saw the This Morning Xmas Appeal for Alzheimers Society and they were talking about early - onset Alzheimers and there were people younger than me with it and I figured they could do with a donation in lieu of cards. 

It also means that you receive loads less cards each year which just goes to prove that people DO cross you off their list if you don't send them a card!! ;D ;D

san

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2011, 09:29:34 PM »

I average about 5 every year  :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29