Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Lactose intolerance.....  (Read 15900 times)

Joyce

Re: Lactose intolerance.....
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 01:20:17 PM »

My nursing daughter questioned my lactose intolerance, in so much as that she though it was IBS.  I believe the two can be mistaken for each other.

However, I am pretty sure I have an intolerance as it seems to fit the proper pattern of symptoms, whereby it hits me usually a couple of days later.  Once I've had a few trips to the loo, everything goes back to normal. 

Whereas, my understanding of IBS, the symptoms can go on for quite a while with severe stomach cramps, constipation, diarrhoea  which I don't suffer from.  Just a bit windy & a few cramps before I have to make a dash for it. 

Maybe someone can solve this one for me.

Trey

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 03:27:19 PM »

When I was lactose intolerant I got symptoms right away after eating the wrong stuff.  When I took a tablet before I ate, very little problem.  I used Lactaid milk and couldn't tell the difference between it and regular - I think they heat it or something to destroy the problem that intolerant folks have.  IBS was, to me, like a round the clock condition.  Had it for years after a ruptured appendix and oddly as heck, after a colonoscopy it's gone - something about having a kink unkinked during the procedure.

What I don't understand is why I am no longer lactose intolerant.

As to gluten I only eat oats and brown rice and avoid the other grains.  Lots of Gluten free products in our grocery stores now - like flaxseed chips, crackers and so on.  If I cheat I get IBS but only for a few hours.

Joyce

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »

Yeh I was pretty impressed when in Florida, they went out of their way to make sure I didn't get anything dairy in my food.  2 weeks of bliss for my tum!  :) Chefs would come out and would double check ingredients if necessary.  Wish they did that here.  :(

Scampi

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »

My daughter has recently developed a mild lactose intolerance so she uses lactose-free milk (if she stays off ordinary milk she can still eat cheese and chocolate - she's happy!) - she tried soya milk at the doctor's suggestion when she first developed the symptoms, but didn't like it and now uses Lacto-free (not the uht version - the fresh one that is sold next to ordinary milk in the supermarkets).  She says it tastes as good as ordinary milk, but smells funny!  It's basically cow's milk with an enzyme added (lactase) that breaks the lactose sugar in the milk down into the sugars galactose and glucose, so no more nasty lactose to upset delicate tummies.

Val.M

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 07:22:25 PM »

Hi Ladies

Yes - the Lacto Free milk is fine for me too.  I can't say I notice any difference in the taste but it is slightly creamier than the skimmed milk I used to drink.  Supermarkets in my area tend to run out very quickly though and I frequently have to buy the UHT version which I'm not so keen on....

I felt very sick yesterday and instantly thought it was due to something I'd eaten but I'm pretty certain it was a virus now.  I'm even more certain after a child at school vomited all over me this morning ::)  Oh and she'd just drank her carton of milk too....  Oh well - all part of the job I guess!  It was so bad, I had to go home and shower and get changed ::)

Valxx

Joyce

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 08:30:56 AM »

That time of year again, kids with bugs.  Horrid isn't it.  As for Lacto free milk & products I just wish I could use them.  They didn't come out until several years after I'd developed the intolerance.  Unfortunately, I cannot cope with any form of dairy nowadays.  I went onto their website and they do have some lovely recipes though.  Now I use the Rice products, great in baking!  I have also bought a carton of Almond, which is supposed to be really nice, but I haven't tried it yet.  Really dislike Soya, although still have the soya yogurts from time to time.

elainediva

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 07:40:48 PM »

Val.m try rice cheese slices,you might need to find a vegan shop and dairy free chocolate, in holland and barrett

Tempest

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 09:00:22 PM »

Hi, Val!

Yes - amongst my many sins, I'm lactose intolerant too. I was formally diagnosed about 10 years ago by my Consultant Gastro. It was a godsend when the Lactofree products became available, I can tell you! I tried soya milk and was very, very sick on it - couldn't keep it down!

About a year ago, I thought I'd be clever and try Hubby's regular semi skimmed milk for a couple of days. Never, EVER again....... >:(

Hurdity

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 05:24:17 PM »

Val.M hasn't been on here since 2013 and the thread is from 2011!!! Maybe start a new thread as I'm sure there will be current members who might be interested?

Hurdity x

Tempest

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2017, 05:54:21 PM »

Oh, blimey! Meno brain!!! Didn't notice, Hurdity! Yes - there must be more of us lactose intolerant types! :o ;)

cubagirl

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2017, 06:43:13 PM »

I'm lactose intolerant, well all dairy nowadays.  It's a bummer for sure.  I dislike soya milk, though as a hot chocolate it's not too bad.  I use fresh coconut milk which you can get beside all the other dairy free milks.

Evelyn63

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2017, 05:53:02 PM »

Rebecca, is this it?

I think for Lactose Intolerance that Lactaid tablets (do they make it in UK) is a great solution.

Another who is lactose intolerant, just bought some of those tablets today, thank you for suggesting them.  worth a try.

cubagirl

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2017, 06:22:33 PM »

I buy mine in H&B.  However, I find that sometimes even that isn't enough.  I avoid dairy & only take as a precaution to lessen any possible symptoms from hidden/undeclared dairy produce.  Went to an afternoon tea prior to DIL marrying our son.  I warned place beforehand.  They gave me a plate of sandwiches which were supposed to be dairy free & cakes also.  I was so ill later that evening.  Complained & they assured me sandwiches were definitely dairy free, but they then said that cakes may have had dairy in them.  Grrrrrr!

Menomale

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2017, 08:25:12 PM »

Hi sparkle,

Have you ever heard that star anise is very effective to relieve trapped wind? I learned that in a vegetarian cook book. They recommended to add it when cooking all cruciferous and brassicas that are rich in sulfur and can cause flatulence in many people. There's this lovely Portuguese dish called "caldo verde" made of potatoes, kale, garlic and olive oil (the original non veggie has calabresa sausage) but the aftermath is not so lovely... adding one single star anise (each one with 8 seeds) and letting it cook for a while and then removing it (too strong flavour) was enough.

Star anise tea is also very effective and tastes/smells good (well, I like it).

I don't think I am lactose intolerant but I surely have a very lazy lactase (enzyme), whenever I drink milk I have gases and mild diarrhoea. Processed milk (yogurt, cheese) don't have any effect.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 09:40:03 PM by Menomale »

Tempest

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2017, 08:55:29 PM »

Devastatingly so, yes Sparkle! I'm sure Cubagirl can confirm the same. It's pretty dramatic when we get 'spiked' with dairy! My Consultant said I was fortunate in that I can tolerate the Lactofree products, as they still contain a small trace of lactose and some of his patients are so sensitive that they can't even go near them!
Pages: 1 [2] 3