Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21

Author Topic: The MM Recipe Exchange  (Read 245239 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: The MM Recipe Exchange
« Reply #180 on: August 23, 2012, 07:43:19 PM »

I often wonder what the difference is:  so from the BBC Cookery pages -

Bicarbonate of soda:

This white powder is an alkali (formally known as bicarbonate of soda) that, when combined with acid, produces carbon dioxide and tiny, fizzy bubbles.
Bicarbonate of soda is used in commercial cake mixes and flours to improve the effectiveness of another ingredient with which it is often combined – baking powder. When mixed with tartaric acid or lemon juice, it acts as a raising agent in baking.

Baking powder:

Baking powder is a raising agent that is commonly used in cake-making. It is made from an alkali, bicarbonate of soda, and an acid, cream of tartar, plus a filler like cornflour or rice flour which absorbs moisture.

The powder is activated when liquid is added, producing carbon dioxide and forming bubbles that cause the mixture to expand. For this reason, it is important to get your cake mixture into the oven quickly once the 'wet' ingredients have been added to the 'dry' ingredients.

Self-raising flour is made from plain flour combined with a small amount of baking powder.

Prepare it
To make baking powder, combine half a teaspoon of cream of tartar and quarter of a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda. This provides the equivalent of one teaspoon of baking powder.

To make self-raising flour add one teaspoon (or equivalent homemade) to 110g of plain flour.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:44:56 PM by CLKD »

Meggie

« Reply #181 on: August 24, 2012, 02:18:20 PM »

Thanks for the information CLKD - they say you learn something new every day - there's so much information on this Forum.

I love this thread ...... it'sall about

CLKD

« Reply #182 on: September 01, 2012, 08:17:36 PM »

it's all about ............  ??? <waves to Meggie>

limpy

« Reply #183 on: October 07, 2012, 07:16:51 PM »

Slow Cooker Lancashire Hotpot
Serves 2

450g lamb diced
400g king edwards sliced
1 medium onion finely chopped
100 ml chicken stock
1 or  2 drops lea & perrin sauce (optional)
1 tablespoon seasoned flour
olive oil

Set slow cooker to high - with lid on, replace lid after every stage
Put a layer of potatoes (half) in base of cooker pot
Toss lamb in seasoned flour, brown in oil, place over potatoes in slow cooker
Sweat onion in pan that lamb was browned in,  (5 mins), put onions over lamb
Put remaining potatoes over lamb
Pour stock over potatoes - it doesn't look enough, but it is
Cover and cook on High for 2 hours, then Low for 4 hours - 6 in total, though more doesn't harm
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 04:30:42 PM by limpy »

san

« Reply #184 on: October 07, 2012, 07:24:24 PM »

Thank you  :D x

Dizzy

« Reply #185 on: October 22, 2012, 08:52:38 PM »

Hi going to cook the hot pot for hubby sounds hum ho loves lamb so please I found this site so much help and now recipes I used to bake cakes every week haven't done much lately with all these recipe will be doing a lot of baking thanks everyone this is all helping to cheer me up xx😍😍😍

CLKD

« Reply #186 on: November 02, 2012, 09:17:02 PM »

It's still here  ::) - if you use the search button correctly ........

kerrieann

« Reply #187 on: November 04, 2012, 11:29:17 PM »

hi all does anyone have a recipe for seed cake my nan used to make it and it was lovely but i dont even remember what seeds she used if only i had written her recipes down :(  ie bread pudding, bonfire toffee, elderberry wine  there again as i remember she never weighed anything she just used to know the amounts of everything by heart  :)

purplenanny

« Reply #188 on: November 05, 2012, 11:18:40 AM »

Hi,
It might be poppy seed cake - my Mum used to make it but I am afraid like you, I never wrote it down. You may get a recipe if you 'google' it ;)
PN x x

lady57

« Reply #189 on: November 05, 2012, 02:34:43 PM »

Old fashioned seed cake used to use caraway seed, my grandmother made it, it was the only cake she ever made.

Nigel Slater's classic seed cake

The recipe
Cream 120g each of butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in 3 large eggs, then, when well mixed, add 1 tsp caraway seeds, 170g self-raising flour, 50g ground almonds and 2 tbsp milk. Scrape into a paper-lined loaf tin (20cm x 9cm x 7cm measured across the base) with a rubber spatula and bake for an hour at 160C/gas mark 3.

The trick
Cast aside all thoughts of generosity or the more the merrier. A pleasing seed cake is about how few seeds you add rather than how many. A pinch or two is all you need to flavour an entire cake. Caraway seeds are particularly pervasive, and too many will introduce a medicinal, musty quality to your baking.

kerrieann

« Reply #190 on: November 05, 2012, 07:10:46 PM »

jane, thats it brilliant soon as i saw caraway seeds i remembered  :) thats the one she used to make i will have to have a go at that recipe now although there will only be me that eats it  :( o well more for me lets hope it keeps well   thanks kerrie

purplenanny

« Reply #191 on: November 14, 2012, 10:15:24 PM »

Hi
Has anyone got a good recipe for Christmas Cake please? I think Margaret said she was 'soaking' hers overnight in another thread? I need to make 2 and would like a tried and tested alternative to the one I usually make.

Thanks. PN x x

kerrieann

« Reply #192 on: December 02, 2012, 12:53:26 PM »

anyone have a nice recipe for cherry cake the one with glace cherries in shop bought just doesnt taste the same  thanks

winifred

« Reply #193 on: December 14, 2012, 08:06:18 PM »

Anyone got a fool proof method recipe for mince pies ?can't get it right and the family start groaning when I say i will make them this year again many thanks

Bibby

« Reply #194 on: December 15, 2012, 10:50:44 AM »

BREAD MACHINE RECIPES

Here's a couple that I make a lot.

'Ciabatta' (Not at all like real ciabatta, but tweaking the flour would help with that, -just a good loaf though)
1tsp yeast
500g strong white flour
1tsp sugar
1tsp salt
3 tbsp virgin olive oil
350ml water

Put all in the mixer in the order you read them and do on the basic programme (not the quick)

Fruit loaf
1tsp yeast
500g strong white flour
1tbsp sugar
25g butter
2tbsp milk powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
2tbsp malt extract (can't get here so I use date molasses)
350ml water
Cinnamon to taste
then add 100g sultanas when the beeper goes

Cook on fruit programme but don't add fruit till beeper goes.
  This loaf is fab toasted and buttered.

I also make a bread with fried onions in and some herbs, great with soup.
Cooked on fruit programme, add onions when it beeps.

Did I mention I have a weight problem?  LOL  When I try to cut out wheat, the bread maker goes away  :'(  But it's never gone for long because I end up getting it out again and making something good for my husband.

Experiment with things to add, but be cautious about messing with the basic bread ingredient ratios because it might overflow, or fall flat......
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21