Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can not lose weight during the menopause!  (Read 12840 times)

Melbury

Re: Can not lose weight during the menopause!
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 05:24:51 PM »

I would be thrilled to weigh 9st something - haven't been that for years. 

Menopause coupled with hypothyroidism put paid to me being slim.  It is a constant battle to maintain the weight I am now :(

I was one of those people who thought that underactive thyroid was just an excuse for people being overweight, but have certainly discovered that it isn't. 

Linsey44

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 05:47:53 PM »

Melbury i feel for you not being happy with your weight there is nothing worse than not being comfortable in our own skin.

Although i am now more stable there have been massive fluctuations over the years.  weight trained up to around the age of 24 and was a lean 8st 7lbs,  had a baby got post natal depression, marriage broke up and went down to 7 1/2 stone.  Few years later had depo vera injections and weight rocketed to 11st almost overnight.  When i stopped all contraception around 10 yrs ago my weight settled out at what i am now.

My husband says i am lucky to eat what i do and remain constant as food and wine features heavily in our lifestyle BUT when he goes offshore i tend to restrict myself and its a shame that your own weight issues are outwith your control.  I really do appreciate how difficult it must be for you as i have had problems in the past.

Linsey x

babyjane

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 07:20:40 PM »

Melbury I have been hypothyroid for many years due to hereditary auto immune disease. I have to say that if your thyroid levels are properly controlled and regularly monitored then the weight gain is not something that you have to have as a matter of course.
I used to be monitored by my GP but was never really well. I asked to see an endocrinologist who put me onto combination thyroid replacement and checks my bloods 6 monthly since I have been menopausal. Since he has looked after me I have come down from 11 st 2lb to 10st 2 lb and recently to 9st 10lb. Underactive thyroid does not mean you have to be stuck with overweight if it is properly controlled.

Melbury

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 09:36:18 AM »

Melbury I have been hypothyroid for many years due to hereditary auto immune disease. I have to say that if your thyroid levels are properly controlled and regularly monitored then the weight gain is not something that you have to have as a matter of course.
I used to be monitored by my GP but was never really well. I asked to see an endocrinologist who put me onto combination thyroid replacement and checks my bloods 6 monthly since I have been menopausal. Since he has looked after me I have come down from 11 st 2lb to 10st 2 lb and recently to 9st 10lb. Underactive thyroid does not mean you have to be stuck with overweight if it is properly controlled.

It sounds like you have a really good endocrinologist babyjane. 

When I saw one he was only interested in the TSH reading - completely disregarded FT4 and FT3 (which most people say are the important measurements) - and also said that even if people manage to lose a bit, they never get back to their pre-hypo weight
>:(

I have been doing the 5:2 diet for the past two years and have only managed to lose about 6lbs, but will persevere.

Melbury

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 09:38:30 AM »

Melbury i feel for you not being happy with your weight there is nothing worse than not being comfortable in our own skin.

Although i am now more stable there have been massive fluctuations over the years.  weight trained up to around the age of 24 and was a lean 8st 7lbs,  had a baby got post natal depression, marriage broke up and went down to 7 1/2 stone.  Few years later had depo vera injections and weight rocketed to 11st almost overnight.  When i stopped all contraception around 10 yrs ago my weight settled out at what i am now.

My husband says i am lucky to eat what i do and remain constant as food and wine features heavily in our lifestyle BUT when he goes offshore i tend to restrict myself and its a shame that your own weight issues are outwith your control.  I really do appreciate how difficult it must be for you as i have had problems in the past.

Linsey x

Thanks Linsey - I think it is great that you are able to maintain such a good weight. 

It is a constant battle and perhaps I dwell on it too much :(

babyjane

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2014, 11:47:40 AM »

I do Melbury, I am very fortunate as he has written papers on the T4/T3 issue and identified a sub group of about 15% of patients who do not convert T4 to T3 properly and I am one of them. Once he started treating me with the combination replacement therapy my levels stabilised and I lost the weight and my hair grew back.
The TSH is not a true indicator of your levels and the NHS reference range goes up to 10 I think unless I am mistaken, as I have a friend whose doctor tells her she is within the normal range and her TSH is 7.5  >:(
My chap gets agitated if mine starts heading towards 3!!!

Linsey44

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2014, 08:24:54 PM »

Probably all that any of us can do is eat as healthily as possible, exercise as much as our bodies allow.

At least we care about how we look/ feel, its when we just give up on ourselves the problems will start.

Dont give up any weight loss is better than none

Oracle22

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 08:53:49 AM »

HI All,    I have also heard about Feast days Linsey44.  It has something to do with the LEPTIN hormone, which is the hormone that is to do with our appetite. .

I am working out with weights more as well as cardio.    Weight training increases your metabolic rate and maintains that increase for up to 48 hours after your workout'  Cardio only does this for up to a couple hours after a workout.   So I have a Weight/Cardio programme in play at the moment.

Is anybody finding "cutting carbs" difficult.  Everywhere you go, food is dominated by carbs. I am planning my meals more now and taking prepared food wherever I can as "Food on the Go" in shops seems to contains either, pasta, bread, noodles etc.  Preparing my own food does give me more control over the calories and types of food I eat.
 I am trying to get a decent protein breakfast but finding it difficult as I do not like Eggs.   Anyone else found a solution.

Oracle22

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 08:57:39 AM »

HI Honeybun,     Your post on how little you eat was interesting as I was eating sometime below 1200 calories a day.      I was told by a PT that my body can go into starvation mode if you eat too few calories and therefore you can put on weight.   Eating three meals a day and not snacking seems to be a good way to go.   Also I too have cut down on Red Meat and stick with mostly Chicken and Fish.  But I do enjoy a Steak every once in a while.      Good Luck.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2014, 10:53:38 AM »

I do agree Oracle22
I think there is a danger of obsessing over what we eat. Eating is meant to be enjoyable and if we are feeling guilty for enjoying the occasional slice of cake or fish and chips - well this is simply silly.
Small meals often is the mantra that we tend to sing on this site.
Reduce sugar and too much fat - but don't forget that dairy is the best way to get your calcium and we need those essential omega oils.  Without a certain amount of fat in our diet the body can't absorb certain vitamins. As for carbs - well, since I bought a bread maker I've actually reduced the amount of bread I eat - probably by half. I make a lovely seeded bread that's half and half white and wholemeal - I make a small loaf  & I know it's got lots of goodness in it - I allow myself two slices a day and these are smaller than a bought loaf. I do love potatoes so I have simply reduced the portions. I refuse to give up all the things I enjoy eating.
1200 calories a day is possibly not enough intake(unless you are very petit) if you are still doing the right amount of exercise to support your heart and bones.  Fad diets can be dangerous and at our age we need to keep our bodies ticking over in an even way to reduce all kinds of meno symptoms and digestion issues.  When I do loose weight I often become ill and feel very lethargic - for me it's the compromise of carrying a few extra pounds to feel good.
I don't allow scales in the house.  If clothes I wore 5-10 years ago still fit then that's ok - its they get tight then I know I need to watch how much I'm eating.
BTW- I'm between a size 12-14 depending on the brand of clothing - in my dancing days I was a size 10. The main reason I have to go up a size is because the weight now sits around my upper hips and tummy since I came off HRT!!!  Again I think it is silly to talk about dress sizes as these vary so greatly between brands. I hate wearing anything too tight so often buy the 14 and take it in where I need to.  DG x

Linsey44

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2014, 09:49:57 PM »

Hi oracle

For breakfast I sometimes have
natural organic yoghurt, greek has more protein than other other types with some almonds or walnuts with blueberries, strawberries and raspberries.  You can toast nuts /seeds.
Or ryvita with philadelphia cream cheese topped with cherry tomatoes and some thick cut ham.
Smoked salmon for a treat or kippers if you like them.

Not easy when we take our morning slice of toast away!!

hotstff

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2014, 08:46:02 PM »

hrt has been a Godsend in many ways, but it has made it more of a challenge to lose weight.
I start off fine, but as soon as I hit the progesterone phase, I puff up like marshmallow man.
I console myself with the thought that it's only water retention and not actual fat, because as soon as I have a bleed, I deflate like a balloon!  ::)

auntysassy

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2014, 04:34:01 PM »

I put on nearly a stone in the first month of HRT and I cannot shift it!  When I had gallbladder problems a couple of years ago, it affected my liver so I cut out alcohol and carbs and ate really healthily.  I lost weight just like that!  Of course, some of it gradually crept back so along with the HRT weight gain, I thought I'd follow the same diet as when I had the gallbladder problem and I'd lose it. Nothing.  Zilch.  Does not matter what I eat or don't eat, I can't lose anything!  I've a review with my GP on Monday and I'm coming off the HRT.  I'll find another way to regulate my cycle.

dylan

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2014, 05:32:47 PM »

have you thought about trying yoga , its very good . and deffo helps . with the terrible pains  ;)its worth a try , you just need too stick at it :)it can allso be very relaxing .
Pages: 1 [2]