Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Does HRT/BCP definitely stop insomnia?  (Read 2041 times)

Babsm67

Does HRT/BCP definitely stop insomnia?
« on: September 29, 2015, 07:55:57 AM »

Hi,  I am at my wit's end this morning - having had yet another early morning awakening - this happens even after going to bed late.  My 20 year old autistic son got agitated at breakfast after dropping his toast on the floor when we had got up &, I am ashamed to say, I ended up going into the other room because I felt I couldn't cope (he refused to eat another piece, saying it was 'Too late').  I have asked to be referred to the Gynae GP that I saw at another practice last summer to see about starting HRT or, possibly, the BCP as I have had enough.
Last summer, I tried HRT for a short time but never started the Utrogestan part of the regime properly (inserted 2 tablets vaginally then chickened out as I was getting symptoms of too much oestrogen in my system).  I realise now that I probably should have lessened the dose of gel & given everything a chance as I felt fantastic initially & slept better.  Does both HRT/the BCP improve sleep for certain?  I am desperate now as I cannot carry on in this state - I need my sleep to be able to cope with my son & carry out the duties in my new part time job.  I resigned from my o!d job in the Spring after being off for weeks with a breakdown (lack of sleep was one of the contributors to this).  It is also causing friction between DH & myself X
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 09:36:21 AM by MadBloss »

Chocolatechaos

Re: Does HRT/BCP definitely stop insomnia?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 01:09:43 PM »

I use the patch hrt evorel sequi and generally feel more even in my moods and sleep better. I have lost most of the flushes and night sweats as well. My sleep is now disturbed by my children aged 5 5 and 6 with one having a sleep disorder and questionable autistic tendancies.  I was really struggling to cope with work and home life last year and was found to be peri at just 41. At Christmas I started hrt tablets which took about 4 months for things to settle and improve. Due to ibs I switched to patches. My sleep now is disturbed only when my bleed is due, otherwise I could sleep for England!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 05:00:23 PM »

I definitely sleep better when on HRT but there are no guarantees.  If you are being woken by sweats and getting bad dreams then HRT could help.
If you are still peri meno (which I assume you are) then it is best to start on a low dose - the gel is great for this as you can start with just one pump per day.  If you want to sleep well, I would definitely take Utrogestan orally as I find it really helps me sleep. DG x

Babsm67

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 07:09:40 PM »

Hi Ladies, thanks for your replies, both of which sound very encouraging. Poor you, Choco!atechaos, you have obviously had a tough time over the last year - I am glad things have improved for you now on the HRT.  Thanks, DancingGirl about the oestrogel dosage.  I am hoping to go back onto the oestrogel/utrogestan regime with a low dosage of the gel (I bloated up really badly last summer when I tried it first time round - the dosage was too high for me at that time).  At 48, I am perimenopausal & am definitely in favour of anything that is going to give me a better quality of life after a nightmare two years!   :).   :thankyou: X