Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 6360 times)

penguin74

« on: February 26, 2015, 07:52:04 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I'm 40 and just been diagnosed with early menopause, personally I think I have been suffering a few years but got fobbed off by my GP. It was only because I have not had a period for four months and coupled with severe back pain that the GP decided to test me. I  have now been prescribed Elleste Duet, was not sure about taking HRT always thought I would do without but I did not expect to be so young. Only taking as I am worried about my bones in the future.

I am hoping that HRT will help with some of my other symptoms mainly feeling crappy and tired all the time. This past year has been horrendous, I don't know how my partner has put up with it. I have been always so happy go lucky and outgoing but have now morphed into some depressed sloth like creature that spends her weekends moping around in her dressing gown. I have read up on alot of the typical symptoms but did not expect to feel so down and to ache so much, I feel like I'm 80 not 40. Please tell me it gets better with HRT. Also wondered has anyone else suffered with extreme pain back. Thanks for reading guys  :)

dazned

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 07:58:07 PM »

Welcome Penguin74  :)

You have come to the right place ,lots of information here and lots of lovely ladies who will support you !

Hrt is not an overnight thing unfortunately and sometimes you have to try different ones to find the right one that suits you .

What tests did they do to arrive at this ?

Hope you get sorted soon x

penguin74

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 08:22:06 PM »

Thanks for the welcome.  :)

My GP just tested my bloods, also early menopause runs in my family. I only went to the docs last night, think I was a bit in shock and should have asked more questions about my bloods. Also had x-ray for my back pain but that came back clear and GP says the pain pain is not connected to the menopause. But having reading up on it I think it may be.

This HRT is scary stuff, I know it may take a while to find something that suits me,that why I was shying away from it. Would just like to feel normal again

dazned

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 08:28:01 PM »

I started 4 years ago on Estelle duet 1mg and was lucky first time but it did take about 3 months to settle down and see any improvement . Afraid it's a trial ,but you will get lots of encouragement here. :)

I'm on here now because my dose needs changing with my own levels naturally dropping and having a pig of a time finding the right one   :-\

Hayho onwards and upwards x

Millykin

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 08:33:02 PM »

Hi penguin74 and welcome
I'm 44, was 41 when diagnosed and laughed, I had a funny feeling as no periods for over 6 months and few night sweats but nothing bad. I started HRT to protect bones. I was given Elleste duet and was ok for 3 months on it, had a bleed each month but then felt terrible the prog didn't suit me. I then left it for 6 months but things got worse aches, pains, nausea, anxiety, palps everything went downhill, think my body craved something. Went back to GP and asked for Femoston which I started last April and within 6 months I was feeling back to normal. I have now upped my dose to 2/10 as breakthrough bleeds stopped. It is worth trying HRT but you need to stick at it for 3-6 months.
X

penguin74

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 08:44:17 PM »

Dazned - God I am a newbie to this, I assumed that if you found something that suited then that was it. Didn't realise as you progress then you need to change doses. Hope you mange to get sorted x

Millykin- Thanks for the welcome. I have had the feeling for a few years. I can cope with the sweats and flushes. It the depression and the feeling that I am going stir crazy that I find hard. I used to laugh at my mum forgetting names and such but I'm exactly the same now. x

booboo000

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 08:17:17 PM »

Hi . I am 40 also and today been diagnosed  after a course of blood tests of early menopause. My fsh level was 150 and my estrogen was very low.  I have know over the last couple of years something wasn't right but have been trying to carry on but just felt worse and worse. My doctor has prescribed elleste duet 1mg. I am afraid to take it as worried about long term complications. Life is too short to be feeling so lethargic and miserable so I know I need to do something just worried about taking these tablets. I would be grateful of people's experiences. Thanks

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 08:25:12 PM »

Hi penguin74  :welcomemm: from me too.

I hope you start to feel better on Elleste soon. The thing about doses is that as you get further into menopause you may need a higher dose for a while as your own oestrogen levels drop, before reducing again as you are older and well post-menopause. Have you been given the 1 mg or the 2 mg? Hope it helps you anyway!

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 08:30:01 PM »

Hi . I am 40 also and today been diagnosed  after a course of blood tests of early menopause. My fsh level was 150 and my estrogen was very low.  I have know over the last couple of years something wasn't right but have been trying to carry on but just felt worse and worse. My doctor has prescribed elleste duet 1mg. I am afraid to take it as worried about long term complications. Life is too short to be feeling so lethargic and miserable so I know I need to do something just worried about taking these tablets. I would be grateful of people's experiences. Thanks

Hi booboo000  :welcomemm:

If you are only 40 then you most definitely need HRT to protect your heart and bones and there are no additional risks until at least the average age of natural menopause which is 50-52. You may find that you need to take a higher dose as time goes on, and also if this product doesn't suit you , you can always try another one that will. I agree that you don't want to feel miserable and you also need to do as much as possible to keep healthy, with an early menopause.

Do read up on the information from the menus at the top of the page - about early menopause (first set of tabs) and about diet and lifestyle (2nd tab - treatments).

Good luck with it and do let us know how you get on  :)

Hurdity x

Dorothy

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 08:42:04 PM »

Hello & welcome to both of you!  Hope you manage to get something sorted out soon that helps with your symptoms.  At least your GPs are prescribing HRT - all mine does is waffle on about continuing birth control until 2 years after the last period...as I'm single and given my medical history highly unlikely to conceive even if I wasn't, it's not that helpful!

penguin74

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 06:49:44 PM »

Thanks for the advice sparkle,i have been looking at taking some extra vitamin supplements, just need to do some research on the best ones to take.

Hurdirty - Thank you for the welcome, I have been given the lowest dose.

booboo000 - I was also apprehensive but my GP told me the risks if I did not take anything and explained that the I am only replacing what I should have had anyway. I have been doing online research and most studies and the side effects do seem to revolve around women over 50. It is down to personal choice and being a newbie like you its so confusing.

Dorothy - Thank you for the welcome, GP's can be a nightmare, I initially went to the female GP at my surgery thinking she would be sympathetic, how wrong was I, she just dismissed my worries.

Katejo

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 06:05:32 PM »

Hi Penguin and welcome!  Joint and muscle aches and pains have been a symptom for me including low back pain with sciatica.  This has eased up a lot recently, possibly due to being diagnosed with low Vit D and being given it on prescription.  After two months my level is back to normal.  Could be a coincidence but I like to think it's helped.  Perhaps you could ask your GP to test your Vit D if the HRT doesn't help with the aches and pains? 

Can related to the forgetfulness too - so frustrating when you know what you want to say but can't find the right words! 

S x

Were your joint and muscle aches anywhere particular (other than lower back). Ever since the start of the peri menopause, I have had aches and pains in my calves and feet. I haven't tried any HRT. I have now been period free for a full year. I put off going to the GP as much as possible as it is so difficult to get an appointment now and i see a different person each time I go. I could try vit D (if I can still buy it without prescription).

Briony

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 06:19:36 PM »

Katejo, my initial symptoms were excruciating back and shoulder pain and weird tingling sensations (aged 40). Later this pain went away, only for it to return a few months later in my ankle and calves. At one point I was having to use a crutch. Doctors put it all down to a sporting injury at the time (in those days I was very fit). Took another year before I got a diagnosis (via a neurologist!). Since then, I have discovered that this specific pain could well have been caused by water retention 'touching' nerves on my ankles and under my arms, which in turn caused referred pain.

I started HRT last October and it definitely helped. However, it wasn't enough to control the crazy fluctuations I was getting (sometimes my estrogen would go sky high and I'd end up feeling pregnant - nauseous, sore boobs and absolutely shattered) so I have now switched to a new pill, Qlaira, designed to help people in peri  who need something to suppress their hormones rather than simply top them up. Once my estrogen dips permanently, I will switch back to HRT.

Good luck , B x

grannytobe

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 04:46:20 PM »

Hi I am new to the forum. I had a subtotal hysterectomy and ovaries removed about 2 and a half years ago. I was told by the female surgeon that I would probably go into surgical menopause although I think I had been starting to go through the menopause before then as had been having flushes during the night. The first 5/ 6 weeks after my op I thought this isn't so bad and then the hot flushes started again with a vengeance only during the day as well, anxiety, palpitations, intermittent headaches aching joints (knees lower and upper back as well as my feet and ankles, I have osteoarthritis which has been gradually deteriorating since the hysterectomy) bladder problems, tierdness and bloating (wind). My OH has also commented that I am not the same sweet person he used to know and yes I do know that I am snappy and irritable and becoming more so, can this happen serveral years down the line after the hysterectomy on top of the fact that he has copd. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed when I have a list of chores to do, and that is when I moan and mump, snap or he does at me.....that is when the trouble starts because where I would bite my tongue and let it go, I am less inclined to these days. Happy I have found this site to share views etc with all women in the same boat 

dazned

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 05:14:44 PM »

Welcome Grannytobe, your in the right place here,lots of information take a good look round, I can't help you as I haven't had a hysterectomy but someone will come along and help you out.

You might be better going to the newbie section and post a new topic though explaining it all then you won't get " lost " on the end of someone else's post if that makes sense ,I'm new ish too so it does take time to get the hang of it  ;)

Keep posting chin up ,your not alone anymore  :hug:
Pages: [1] 2