Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: HRT patches  (Read 2206 times)

Bracken willowshimmer

HRT patches
« on: November 19, 2013, 05:44:14 PM »

Hi ladies,

I am confused about transdermal HRT patches.  Can you have them if you are still having periods?

Thanks xx

Hurdity

Re: HRT patches
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »

Hi there Sarahm

How regular are your periods and what symptoms have you been getting?

Some women do start to get menopausal symptoms while still having regular periods and some start to take HRT at this time - I am sure there will be someone along who has/does.

Transdermal HRT is just a different mode of delivery from tablet HRT. Once you and your doctor decide that HRT is appropriate you then decide which route you want to take - transdermal ( patch or gel) or tablet.

If you are not very far into menopause, ie still having regular periods but your only symptom is anxiety - then probably the time is not yet right for HRT

I hope this answers your question.

Hurdity x

Bracken willowshimmer

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 06:03:13 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  I do still have fairly regular periods, they are coming closer together (about every three weeks).  I suffer from anxiety, hot sweats, burning tongue, insomnia.  I have a dr's appointment coming up where I want to ask for Hrt but suffer with migraine with aura.  Just want to be as informed as I can be and don't want dr to say you can't have patch if still having periods.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 06:25:16 PM »

Hi Sarahm & welcome
Hopefully your doctor will do some tests etc. and will discuss things with you about your options.
Soak up all the info on this site - especially everything in the menus to the left of this screen - so you can go armed with as much knowledge as possible. 
While I was peri I ended up on Oestrogel (which is transdermal) and used a tablet form of progesterone to induce the withdrawal bleed each month. I believe transdermal is less likely to give you migraines. It tends to be the progesterone part that can cause headaches. You could consider having a Mirena coil fitted and just use Oestrogen transdermally (either patch or Gel) - this would mean you wouldn't have to use contraceptives either.
Ask to be referred to a meno clinic if you are not happy with the doctor's help.
Good Luck  DG x

andius

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 01:40:23 AM »

I hope the doc has pity on you and thinks the hrt will help you, but with regular periods at least once a month, you may have to "fight" a little.... at least have them explain in detail while you could not benefit from HRT and when they would consider it for you (if they say no).

Good luck!

Andius