Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sparkle  (Read 10952 times)

dangermouse

Re: Sparkle
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 08:25:59 PM »

I used to keep going back to the GP as started having griping pain on upper left quadrant (to add to the nausea I was having from undiagnosed peri symptoms). They said it was, therefore, definitely ulcers (even though I had no pain before I started the PPIs) and they upped the dose. I got worse and worse and then they switched me to Ranitidine in case I was intolerant of PPIs but it was much the same although the pain was a little better but they made me more dizzy than PPIs.

I would beg for an endoscopy at my a&e visits (for dehydration from not being able to eat) but I had to wait for the 6 month waiting list (North Middlesex of course!). I just knew I didn't have ulcers but the docs in a&e told me off like a child for not taking the max dose of PPIs.

In the end I just stopped them all and the pain disappeared in 48 hours. Once I figured out it was hormones I had been on the pill for a few weeks before endoscopy came round. Results were no ulcers just a half healed irritated stomach lining (from blocking the acid) which fully healed without any drugs.

So yes, they can definitively cause pain. The only other time was lower bowel pain from flaxseed oil as it can apparently cause a lot of gas and irritation (the purer oil made me much worse than the seeds so it wasn't a fibre issue).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 08:27:38 PM by dangermouse »

samweller161

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 10:22:24 AM »

Hiya, I think I have said this in another thread - going gluten free is a possible solution to reflux?  A bit pricey but worth it as I have seen it work for my hubby

XX

star35

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 08:45:25 PM »

I have finally seen my consultant again yesterday, she sent me for a scan today but the doctor who done it said he couldn't see any thing wrong, which I am pleased about but if nothing is there then how it will get treated I don't know. I am due to see the consultant again 6th Feb and she has already said if the scan showed nothing then she would do an endoscopy, but I don't think that will show any thing either. Obviously I don't want to find any thing but the pain has such an impact on my life I need to find a treatment that works.

star35

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 02:53:23 PM »

Hi Sparkle thank you for your reply, yes she has said if the scan shows nothing then she will go ahead with the endoscopy. I had this done 2 years ago and it showed nothing  then that's why I think it Won't show any thing this time. The gp has tried so many medications I have kept food diaries cut out different foods but nothing seems to help. Stress makes it worse but is not the cause of it, I think maybe if I see a dietician that might help, but I just don't know.

star35

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 06:42:55 PM »

Hi Sparkle like you say it is just a vicious circle, I think the dietician is the way to go because on my own trying to sort the right foods is just a mine field. Oh to feel normal again.

star35

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2017, 07:17:39 AM »

Finally had endoscopy, as I suspected nothing was found only slight inflammation which they don't know what is causing it. Suggested taking gaviscon as well but that's not helping,although DH keeps saying it might feel like it's not helping but might be worse without it. Same pattern as usual can be fine for weeks then it starts up again. Still can't pin it down to any one thing. Thought it had gone then back it comes every day now for the last 5 weeks. Do not know what to do any more, so hard to cope. I'm happy knowing nothing serious is wrong but that doesn't help with the pain some thing must be causing it. So hard to  function every day when feeling like this I worry about leaving the house in case it suddenly gets to unbearable, so I guess the worrying just makes it worse catch 22. Oh I could scream. Sorry moan over I know some people have far worse to cope with.

Yammy1

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2017, 08:10:54 AM »

Very interesting to see how many of us are suffering with tummy problems. Sparkle I have been taking lanzaprol 30mg for years now and I really don't think it's working, on my last visit to doc I told her that I read ppi's can stop you from absorbing other vitamins, and I asked her if this is why my iron levels are so low and I now need to take iron tablets every day and b12 injections every 3 months. She dismissed this and said no way we're the ppi's causing my problems. I personally feel that the lanzaprol is doing more damage than good and may try just taking it every second day and take gaviscon more often. I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia many years ago, this doc has since retired and new doc tried to tell me I didn't have hernia, it must have vanished :-\. I know I have hernia, the pain from it when it's acting up is unbearable, but what can yo do when doc dismisses you when you try ask for something different. It's all very frustrating when your in pain but the doc just puts everything down to anxiety. I know anxiety causes a lot of problems but I feel the medical profession, once they realise you suffer with this blame it on all your problems. Sorry for rant but really fed up with not been taken seriously and not been listened to.

star35

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2017, 09:53:49 AM »

Thats what gets me the not being taken seriously. Because the endoscopy showed nothing they just want you to go away and get on with it. They don't understand the pain you can be in with this and how it impacts on your life. I have tried all the ppis and none have helped. What you not think they would want to know why so many people are suffering with this.

Dede

Re: acid reflux
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2017, 10:51:45 AM »

Hello star35

I was having huge problems with my stomach a few years ago and like you
nothing seemed to work.
My dr prescribed low dose ( 10mg ) amytriptyline. I was amazed that I managed to
sleep through the night for the first time in months. Looking back I think  worrying
about my stomach was actually making it worse. Amytriptyline is also used to
stop bed wetting in children so has a range of uses.
It might be worth a try, it definetly worked for me .
Dede

Yammy1

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2017, 01:37:22 PM »

As I said sparkle, once doc knows you suffe with anxiety they put every ailment down to this  :hotflash:I think if I went to her with ingrown toenail she'd  say it was caused by anxiety. I really am at the end of my rope though and am strongly considering ads, trouble is my doc doesn't like prescribing them so I'll have a battle on my hands. But I know I can't g on feeling the way I am, I don't want to leave the house, I don't even want to leave the chair :'(. Constantly worrying about chest pain, aches and pains and churning stomach, the list goes on and on. I just want ME back.

Yammy1

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2017, 02:16:52 PM »

Am going to do my research on ads and be ready for doc

star35

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2017, 06:47:02 AM »

Hi Dede thank you for that I am seeing gp in a couple of weeks so I will talk to her about the amitriptyline.
Pages: 1 [2]