Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Anxiety rearing its head  (Read 3741 times)

Scotdownunder

Anxiety rearing its head
« on: March 29, 2018, 07:29:28 PM »

Sorry, not been around for a while.
Duavive had me stable in perimenopause for about 6 months. At Christmas I noticed that I was getting tired again and when I went back to work more forgetful. In the last two months or more I was experiencing really low mood. Periods have become lighter and more space out but the last one lasted about two and half weeks, and I only experienced a lift in mood for a couple of days towards the end. Since then the anxiety got a lot worse,
So i returned to my GP, burst into tears, after a weekend of anxiety, lump in throat, feeling sick and shaky. Work has become harder and more stressful and instead of clear head I find my thoughts just spun, I couldn't get clarity, it is very alarming.
So we have accepted I am probably her worst menopausal case because I seem so sensitive to everything!
But I came out wiht a prescription for escitopralam and lorazepam, as she was concerned as I moved onto the escitopralam that it would worsen the anxiety in the interim.
I had to work that day, didn't want to take the escitopralam having read the side effects, but went to bed that night and took my first dose......Wow!
I slept lightly for a couple of hours but ended up waking up and could not go back to sleep. So I got up and made a cup of tea and realised I felt happy, even though I ended up deciding the oven gloves were a red eyed demon. ::)
Finally slept and woke in the morning feeling a little exhausted, but no sick feeling on way into work and happiness remained. Stressful situations I could feel the panic bubble well up but my mind did not spin into whirling thoughts, and it faded.
Have now taken a further two and no panic attacks, after the last few months I am hoping that this continues as I was starting to think I would have to give up work, which would not have been an easy financial decision for the rest of the family.
Will let you know how it goes - but really surprised at the speed of the effect, was expecting it to take at least a fortnight before I got any benefit....and so far not needed the lorazepam.
Has anyone else felt such a speedy response?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anxiety rearing its head
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 10:50:45 AM »

Yep.   And well done on your GP listening!  I'll post more later, been away for a while so busy catching up  ::)

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 05:27:37 PM »

Hi

I started taking sertraline 18 months ago. My main peri symptoms were dreadful anxiety and constant mood swings. I had always suffered with PMS and had PND after my baby was born, so I was predisposed to suffering with hormonal anxiety/depression in peri.

I started on 50mg and within 8 hours of taking it my head felt clearer and sharper. Within 24 hours I felt calmer and the constant stream of negative thoughts faded away. Within a few days I was living in a Zen like bubble that was very healing.

Scotdownunder

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 03:59:50 AM »

Thanks ladies for your comments. Just about a week in now. The happy bubble has faded but been replaced by the ability to see my thoughts more clearly and stop panic and words in my head going round in circles. Long may it continue, the last few weeks have been pretty horrific! End of last weekend I was pretty sleepy but felt awake first thing in the morning for the first time in months.
Hoping it means that I hit the right AD first off.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 11:23:47 AM »

Maybe keep a diary to see how you are on a daily basis?