Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Peri-meno questions  (Read 1354 times)

elsie001

Peri-meno questions
« on: September 10, 2015, 02:05:10 PM »

Hello everyone, I have been lurking for months (this forum is a godsend!).

I'm 49 and have been having peri symptoms for roughly 7 years.  Symptoms have come and gone - hope I'm not tempting fate by saying this but horrible hormonal migraines have gone as has the tingling I used to get in my right hand just before period was due.  Plenty new symptoms have come along to replace those though!

The week before my last period I was crippled by horrible back, hip & knee pain (really did feel in need of a WD40 transfusion!).  Thankfully, those aches and pains eased once period started.  Period heavy as ever, then the next 5 days I felt incredibly low in mood but slept incredibly well.  Then, as my low mood lifted, insomnia started.  I do have Zopiclone sleeping tablets which I take when very sleep deprived but these seem to have no effect now and I'm very reluctant to take anything stronger.

I had seen a Gynea privately about my heavy periods and occasional spotting.  He did a smear test and organised a pelvic ultrasound scan - all good, although the scan was done just as my period was easing so pelvic area was quite 'baren', and I suspect it would have been more beneficial getting that scan just as period was due but hey-ho!

He suggested fitting a Mirena coil, which I probably will do, but I'm worried it will make my low days worse.  However, if these come with a sedative effect then I might be willing to ride those days out knowing that at least I'll feel rested.  I'm planning on asking my practice to do my bloods - haven't had them done in years and I'm keen to see where I am hormonally and also check Vit D, Thyroid, Iron and Cholesterol.

I experienced PND after the birth of my 3rd (last child) 15 years ago which is also causing a bit of anxiety about getting the coil.

Are the aches & pains I experienced before my period common?  I've had pre-period niggly back-ache before but nothing as bad as this. It was horrendous and funnily enough, my husband suffered them at the same time as me.....talk about being in sinc!

SadLynda

Re: Peri-meno questions
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 04:14:32 PM »

Hi Elsie
I am 49 too, been going through this around 3.5 years.

hard to say about your symptoms, I think I ache most of the time - just thought it was natural too.  Also have sciatica just now so back/hip area is agony.  My knees are a lot better for the yoga and the accupuncture I had for my last lost of sciatica which was in the knee area.

Cant say I have noticed any complaints about the Mirena, considering changing to that myself.

Briony

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 04:58:53 PM »

Hi Elsie

A lot of what you describe sounds familiar. Sadly, whilst they may not be a 'common' symptom, a number of use have had the aches and pains in connections with hormones. Backs and shoulders seem to be particularly 'popular' for aches.  In fact, I think 'aches and pains' is putting it gently - damned agony would be closer to the truth for some. When I turned 40 I had a bad bout of it, to the extent even a bra strap made it throb. Often had the tingling too, especially near a period. Pain killers didnt really help, nor did acupuncture/physio. Took 18 months for a connection to be made with my hormones, but since then, HRT / the pill has helped. Good luck x

elsie001

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 05:16:52 PM »

SadLynda, thanks for your reply.  I'm going to make an appt with my GP tomorrow to start the ball rolling with the Mirina. If I don't get on with it, they can whip it back out again!

Briony, I've had JIA (a childhood form on Rheumatoid Arthritis) since I was seven.  It flared up aged 42 after 20 years in remission and I'm sure it was connected to my hormones becoming out-of-kilter.  Could I get a medical professional to take me seriously - nope, but I'm still sure that flare-up was more to do with peri than arthritis. I can definitely relate to the bra strap pain! There are plenty days when wearing even the lightest of handbags is a total no-no!

Briony

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 05:35:04 PM »

I had similar problems. My pain started two months after a miscarriage when I was 40 (never been pregnant before) but it took ages for me to convince anyone it was hormones. At first the thought it was serious and sent me to a spine consultant and neurologist for MRIs (even brain scan) then my doc at the time simply decided it had to be all in my mind and offered me counselling! Luckily, an endocrinologist found that my estrogen was non existent. I think (and still do) that it was extreme fluctuations causing my pain rather than meno/low estrogen per se. Perhaps that's the same with you? Do you get the weird crawling sensations a lot of get too?