Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sleep or serious lack of it anybody  (Read 7758 times)

Sarai

Sleep or serious lack of it anybody
« on: April 26, 2015, 07:12:50 PM »

Anybody got any ideas what I can do? My sleep is rubbish, I'm waking every hour, for no reason, not sweats. My neck, shoulders are stiff and killing and I have had daily headache for over a week. I'm a headache sufferer who's headaches had gone. Paracetamol won't touch them, but I gave up ibuprofen on account of warfarin, plus I'm afraid of most pills as I react badly. I am so so tired I'm a walking zombie. I can't understand what's happened to my sleep. I know all sleep hygiene stuff, no caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, no computers, tv, lavender spray, cool dark quiet room etc

GypsyRoseLee

Re: Sleep or serious lack of it anybody
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 07:48:48 PM »

It's very likely to be your hormones I'm afraid.

Insomnia, and poor sleep is one of the classic symptoms of peri menopause. I had always been an excellent sleeper until 16 months ago. Then I started with random anxiety. Very soon afterwards I experienced my first entirely sleepless night. Horrendous. Since then the quality of my sleep has often been poor. I also suffer with early waking. Up until 16 months ago my alarm always woke me at 7.30am. But since I started with peri symptoms I am always awake before 6am, often feeling anxious for no reason.

Like you I don't suffer with hot sweats.

I have just started HRT and my sleep seems to be improving. I am dropping off to sleep much easier. And once or twice in the last week I have woken before 6am, but have managed to drop back off to sleep!!! This is unheard of!!!

kerrieann

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 07:52:36 PM »

sarai, thank goodness iam not alone, i have not had a full nights sleep for around 6 weeks, once in bed i go straight to sleep for about 2 hours and wake every 2 hours all night i too have tried almost everything but i have terrible reactions to medication and iam also very frightened of tablets because of these reactions, for the last week i have been trying kalms but the last few days i have felt sick and dizzy and have  been told that its a side effect from them, they didnt seem to be helping anyway, iam absolutely exhausted, cant keep my eyes open but afraid to doze off in case my sleep is even worse at night i feel at the end of my tether, so your not alone  :)

Sarai

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 07:56:35 PM »

GypsyRose!ee, I do get sweats but mostly in the morning and they are not bad enough for me to complain about.
I keep thinking of HRT but not sure I can due to blood disorder plus I don't know where I am or how long I've got. I'm 53 had per for ages.

kerrieann

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 07:57:35 PM »

gipsyRoseLee, thats exactly how i wake, full of anxiety, stomach churning terrible, but i havent had a period for 8 years and thought i was through this, i cant have hrt because of high blood pressure and unfortunately i still smoke and cant give up at the moment as i feel so anxious already  :'(

Sarai

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 08:01:56 PM »

kerrieann it really is a nightmare. I daren't fall during the day either. I'm so tired it's like when you just have a new born. The headache and neck pain is shocking, that makes sleeping harder too. I don't really want HRT, I don't want more things messing me up. I take hours to fall asleep then 1 hour later awake and again and again.
I was supposed to be going away, but anxiety put me off now, if I'm not sleeping either there's just no point. I don't feel well enough to even pack contemplate packing let alone the travel. It's so not fair.

dazned

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 08:09:00 PM »

Kerriane I have high blood pressure ,controlled by tablets,and I  smoke unfortunately,but trying to stop by using ecigs,and have been on hrt for 5 years so it is possible.
Having a trying time finding a new regime as the old one stopped working and couldn't sleep for about 4 months now on mirtazapine 10mg and thank goodness now sleep well . Once  Im sure this latest trial regime works will start to reduce these and hope sleep patterns return.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 08:20:12 PM »

I've never been a good sleeper and wake up every fifty minutes or so but do go back to sleep straight away now that I'm back on a low dose HRT. Five hours is my maximum "in bed asleep" time at the moment. I am trying to extend it a bit at a time so now I go to bed at 12.30 and get up at 6.00 whereas it was always 1 a.m. before I went to bed.

Some information here about insomnia and why it happens http://www.bupa-intl.com/health/health-information/factsheets/i/insomnia

Melatonin is supposed to be good but I know you wont be able to take that due to being on Warfarin.  :-\

I found that HRT was the only thing that helped with my even worse sleeping pattern when meno symptoms hit. Then it really was impossible to sleep.

Taz x

Sarai

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 08:28:35 PM »

I don't think we can even get melatonin in the UK. I might be able to have it if it's just a matter of its effect on INR. I self test and am used to monitoring drugs effect on it.
How can I tell if I'm in meno symptoms? Does a year have to pass to know its meno

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 09:22:09 PM »

I think it's only available to over 55's for some reason on NHS prescription.

When you have had a year without periods you are post meno. Peri-meno usually lasts around 8 to 10 years so usually begins in your early forties. This is from the drop down menu http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/menopause.php

Taz x

kerrieann

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 09:29:42 PM »

oh dazned that is good to hear that you are able to get hrt, its given me hope i will make a docs appointment and see what he says thanks

Sarai

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 09:31:13 PM »

I see, I'm 53 so a bit to wait then. I'm considering asking about sleep clincs as I've had trouble getting off for years and had too many loo visits. Tried the pills could not get on with them, had scans ect. But some nights now I need to wee about 10 times. Maybe a doc will take pity on me.

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 09:47:54 PM »

The lack of sleep is awful! I go through phases of it & it's so draining. Tried various herbal remedies, which only work short term plus my tummy doesn't like the Valerian in them. I end up very nauseous.

My GP gave me tablets a while back, Zopiclone, but only allowed for 2 weeks. Again fine for a while, but the sleepless nights returned soon after stopping.

Some GPs suggest Antihistamine tablets to aid sleep, problem is so many are non-drowsy these days.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 09:49:25 PM »

Why do you think that HRT 'will mess you up' Sarai?

Surely if it cures your insomnia and helps restore a good sleep pattern then it will be doing the opposite of messing you up?

lily

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 10:41:19 PM »

I'm not sleeping well either, mostly due to sweats but before that I was waking 2 or 3 times. I find listening to music with my headphones in can lull me off again though.
Pages: [1] 2