Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just had awful cold virus and symptoms back!  (Read 11191 times)

Julesishappy

Just had awful cold virus and symptoms back!
« on: February 02, 2015, 08:19:50 AM »

Good morning ladies,
I've had a shocking cold virus the past 4 days; one of those really heavy ones where you almost think it was flu coming on but fortunately wasn't. I've spent 3 days in bed and cold, sore throat has gone but I feel absolutely washed out to the extent I didn't feel I could go in to work today.
What I've noticed the past couple of days is that some of my meno symptoms have come back: hot flush after drinking something hot (not tea), being more light headed than usual, not sleeping so well. I started Fem 7 conti patches 5 weeks ago and they seemed to be working; I'm due to change the patch this evening, do you think being unwell stops them working so well? It seems  a bit of a daft question as I still have the sicky feeling I get from the hrt and the horrible crawling/creeping feeling in my legs.
Any thoughts?

Millykin

Re: Just had awful cold virus and symptoms back!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 08:56:41 AM »

Not a daft question at all. I was thinking the same. After Xmas and new year I had urine infection was on 2 lots of ABs and all my symptoms came back, then past few days I have sore throat general unwell feeling and I'm combined HRT isn't working just now. Feel like I have another urine infection, but now I'm wondering if it might be down to VA? Feeling a bit different down there and have never had bother before. Hope you feel better soon
X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 11:58:57 AM »

Viruses and infections can throw us into confusion - are we feeling meno symptoms or are we running a temperature?!.  Without HRT I feel like I have a permanent infection - always either hot or cold.  The viruses going around at the moment are horrible and take some time to clear.  Post viral fatigue from these viruses can make us feel really low as well.  Take it easy, don't rush back to things too soon.  DG x
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 01:20:23 PM by Dancinggirl »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 12:34:17 PM »

:tulips:

sammy

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 05:30:44 PM »

ddo you often get colds or it is very rare for you?

I had the same thing happen in June 2014 when I started HRT  (.05 patch plus oral Prometrium 200mg - it has  a different name in the UK, I am in America).  After 6-7 weeks I got a horrid horrid cold and my nose totally blocked and it took 3 weeks to get over.  I never have colds! 

It made me go off HRT and now I am back on at a very low dose, all patch, nothing oral and hoping it will work.

Could the HRT have been the reason for the bad cold?

sammy

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 09:19:38 PM »

Sure - the combination patch I use is .05/.14 and I cut it in half to match the .025 estrogen amount I take during the first two weeks.

I think it is allowable, though it is an off-lable thing.  I just started it, so we will see.  My doctor thought you could cut it.

All is pretty speculative, ...but here we are.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 10:33:47 AM »

Ladies, ladies ladies - Please don't blame HRT - it is known that when we hit menopause our immune system suffers.  Being low in Iron, Vitamin D and Zinc can lower our immune systems.  I went back on HRT a couple months ago and so far I have avoided all the horrible viruses this winter.
I do take Menopace as it is a good all round vitamin supplement - I'm afraid I believe we need all the extra help we can get at this time of life.
Julieishappy - you haven't been on your patch long enough for it have given your immune system a boost yet. If you lower the dose you may find your symptoms return or you don't get the benefits.  DG x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 01:24:11 PM »

Hi Julieishappy.  I only tried the patches once and I personally didn't get on with them.  I use Oestrogel which you apply everyday - some women hate this but I like this stuff.
Hopefully others will be along soon to advice. 
It's true that the patches only come in a medium dose and it's a shame they don't come in lower dose.  If you use separate oestrogen patches or gel and progesterone in pill form that would be another way to go and is more adjustable in terms of dosage.  Sorry if I've confused you - I still think you should give these patches a good go before trying something else in need be.  DG x

sammy

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 06:57:38 PM »

By the way DG, I'm grateful for your patience with my quest for lower dose hrt :))  I just heard back from the manufacturers of Fem 7 conti and they say not to cut in half as it could reduce adhesion, compromise the correct dose or give unwanted side effects. So I'm sticking with what I have ftb. I don't know if you saw one of my other posts about Dr Annie someone - found it really informative and helpful.

That is interesting about not cutting the combination patch.  I am sure the manufacturers say not to do so.  But there are doctors who say that you can.  Even on this forum I have seen this.  It is very confusing. 

I worry maybe it is a mistake that I am cutting it.  I will ask my doctor again.  So far the half patch stays on just fine, but it is important to find out if it is ok.

Thanks for the info!

Londongirl

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 09:36:39 AM »

Ironically enough I was going to post up a new thread about my recurrent throat infections which are now nearly once every month!  Last one was last month and was put on antiobitcs! 

I've been referred to hospital for this and the consultant said I had tonsilitis at the time!  But also suggested that at my age not wise to mess with the tonsils.  I've got a follow up in two weeks time but the suggestion is that it's acid reflux causing these constant throat issues. 

Basically, it's happens about once a month where I get a sore throat (not horrendous but feels yucky) and a headache and I feel like my glands are really swollen and enlarged.  It also lays me up and not easy with working full time but fortunately self emp so can work around it somehow. 

I've got it at the moment and am having a lie in at the moment however it was probably brought on by a few too many drinks Friday night and going out in the cold weather for a few minutes without my coat which seems to affect me these days.

So question is ladies - (btw I am on low dose Femoston Conti and happy with that) - should I take extra supplements?  You mention Menopace ?

Also, I've decided to knock alcohol on the head for a while as that seems to debilitate me after............ any thoughts on this ? 

I try to exercise also and find when I am tired, I should stop on the exercise as that seems to knock me back too. 

Any thoughts/comments on what I have mentioned will be much appreciated

Londongirl x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 10:12:47 AM »

I personally think it is wise to take a good multi vitamin -  despite eating a good diet it is difficult to get everything you need and at our age it is known that our immune systems are not up to scratch.  Vitamin D through winter is probably essential but if you are getting recurrent infections then some general supplements would seem a no brainer.
Re exercise - good brisk walks seem to help me.  As an ex dancer my joints are not good these days so doing anything that puts undue stress on my dodgy joints seems counter productive. The gym or swimming pools can be a the best place to pick up viruses.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 10:16:58 AM »

Sorry to hear about your bad throat Londongirl.

Re supplements - I try to get most of my vitamins and minerals from my diet as this is much better healthwise. At this time of year and if you've been ill especially, a boost with a tonic can do wonders. I take Floradix herbal iron tonic (actually I take a little of this every few days) + some pure cod liver oil (no added vitamins) every few days too, + chew a Calcium and Vit D tab every few days just to top up but not sure if I need this. I eat lots of fruit - at least 3 pieces per day including large orange! Also lots of veg.

As for alcohol - mny tolerance to this took a dive somewhere in peri-menopause - started getting horrendous hangovers after only 2 normal size glasses of wine ( not today's half bottle size!). Have to be very careful these days especially later in the evening. Usually OK early on. Also I found HRT and wine don't mix very well either especially when I'm on the progesterone part. However I do still manage to enjoy alcohol - just careful. Of course, reducing consumption also reduces cancer risk so it has health benefits also.

Do keep up the exercise though - you may feel tired the next day but this is vital for continued good health!

Re the patches and if they drop off - I play this by ear so if it falls off the day before it was due to change - I sort of shift the change time along a bit until it gets back to when I normally change ( Fri & Mon).  it really doesn't matter!  yes just for compliance I would say. As for cutting them - it really is OK provided they stick on - Dr Currie has endorsed this (on here I think) with Evorel conti even though it's unofficial.

sammy -  do you mean you are on a conti HRT patch as well as extra oestrogen? This wouldn't be likely in UK because you owuld need ot be sure the progestogen in the patch was sufficient to protect your womb from the additional oestrogen,. However I presume your doc is monitoring this with extra uterus scans?

Hurdity x

sammy

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 09:23:26 PM »

Thanks Hurdity,

actually I am using the "sequential" method, where you use the estrogen only patch for the first two weeks and then the combined estrogen plus progestin patch for the next  two weeks.

I seem to have a lot of nasal issues with the progestin combination patch though :(

Londongirl

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 10:13:45 PM »

Hi Jules

I am on the ultra low dose Femoston Conti and am very happy on it. 

I tried various others but this seems to work well and despite being post meno when I went on other combi ones (patches included) I had bleeding whereas this suits me best.......... so far!

Feeling rough again today with what feels like swollen throat, not painful just feels like glands very swollent and feel generally unwell, sicky

x

Debe

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2015, 12:55:33 AM »

Hi Londongirl,

I'm on my 2nd month of HRT, Elleste Duet, after 8 years of no periods have just had a very painful period which has totally shocked me. I've  made an appointment to see the Dr again next week and I've been doing a lot of research into HRT as I am really not happy with the Dr at the moment! I've come across this site and joined and put my story in and looked around at the site and found you! Hope you don't mind. Since reading your posts I am now going to ask the Dr for Femoston Conti. I just want to clarify: it doesn't give a monthly period, it helps with low mood and depression and how long would you say it takes to work? I thought it would work quite quickly, I am feeling a little better physically but not mentally. The progesterone 12 days gave me PMT and the estrogen makes my nipples sore and breasts tender. I am so fed up with it all I am also seriously thinking about going on antidepressants too.

Re your sore throat, I'm sure I read something about a link to monthly periods somewhere, anyway I found this:
http://doctorstevenpark.com/is-your-throat-sore-just-before-your-periods

Thank you for reading this, I just want to get back to feeling my happy self and to live my life instead of being the agrophobic miserable sad fat uncomfortable walking womb. :'(
Pages: [1] 2