Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: thinning hair and itchy skin  (Read 8789 times)

tash6

thinning hair and itchy skin
« on: February 01, 2015, 10:17:46 AM »

Please if anyone can help my hair has always been on the thin side but over the last few months it really has become poor and veryydry and thin can anyone recomend anything also my head and body is very  itchy is this normal I feel like im scratching y hair out at times

Dancinggirl

Re: thinning hair and itchy skin
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 12:44:12 PM »

Hi tash6 and welcome to MM
Thee symptoms are quite common with the menopause.  do tell us a bit more about your self e.g. age, the menopause symptoms you are having. Have you considered HRT?
It's well worth reading all the info under the headings to the let of this screen to get really clued up.
I do find that Omega 3 oils help with so many things like skin, joints etc and I believe Evening primrose can also be good for the skin and balancing hormones.
Many of us put lashings of moisturiser on every day.  Sadly thinning hair is often a genetic thing and is difficult to control.  I have very fine hair but keep it short and use some sculpting gel to give it fullness, then it doesn't look so thin. Shorter hair looks more youthful anyway - look at Dame Judi Dench - stunning. DG x
DG x

tash6

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 02:43:53 PM »

Hi im 36 im on hrt at min am very confused as to everything ? Im having hot flushes trouble sleeping ive even got hairs coming on my chin which are quite thick my hair is short already im very stressed all the time which is not nice on my children I have a referel to see a gynecologist but they have no appointments yet so dont know how long thats going to take even crying some days I have a giotre in my neck which I have an appointment for ear nose and throut clinic my hair and skin it hurts with intercorse and other symptoms as well seems like I have a lot of them not just a few

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 03:38:50 PM »

Oh tash6 you poor thing.  It sounds as though your hormones really are out of balance and a gynaecologist needs to look at this and advice you.  I had a premature menopause that started in my mid 30s so  I can understand what you are going through.
Do read up all the stuff under the headings to left to this screen - there is also a section on premature menopause.
Do check out : www.daisynetwork.org.uk - this a site specifically for women with premature meno.
It's good you are on HRT - which one are you taking and how long have you been on it? 
If you are dry around your vaginal area you will need local oestrogen treatment alongside the systemic HRT treatment.  Many of us use Vagifem at least twice a week to keep things healthy around our 'lady bits'.
Keep posting.  DG x

tiger74

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 05:03:38 PM »

Hi Tash6.  Have you had your thyroid function tested?  My hair is also thinning which is probably a side-effect of the meds I'm on in connection with endocrine treatment for breast cancer.  However, when I consulted a trichologist privately about my hair issues she was particularly interested in my history of thyroid issues.       

Best wishes.

tash6

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 05:43:28 PM »

Im on elleste duet 1mg only been on them a week and a half my thyroid test came back normal but I went for a scan on my neck  because of my lump in my throut which confirmed an enlarged thyroid gland and goitre the lady told my thyroid bloods normally do come back ok ? Confused I really dont feel right dont want to keep going to doctors just want to feel a bit normal I have a child who is nearly 2 its not fair on him feel like a really bad mum at min so with everything else im really down  :'( :'(

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 06:03:33 PM »

tash6 - the HRT will hopefully start to work over the next couple of weeks and you'll find the menopause symptoms will subside.  You may need to try a higher dose as you are so young but it's good to start on a low dose. Once you start getting some quality sleep I'm sure you will feel better. Keep posting.  DG x

Millykin

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 06:17:38 PM »

Try and stick with HRT it will kick soon. I was i elleste duet 1 mg for 6 months and I noticed itchy scalp, arms. I have really thick hair so didn't notice if I lost any all though there would be a lot in plug hole after shower, I have since changed to Femoston and all that stopped. Hope you feel better soon x

tash6

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 06:53:02 PM »

Thankyou for all your support and help its really appreciated xxx

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 12:06:58 PM »

Hi tash

I welcomed you and spoke about HRT and vaginal oestrogen on your introduction thread so won't say anything more about it here.

However re your enlarged thyroid - have you had your bloods taken at the same time to look at your thyroid levels now. Also what is being done to determine the cause? A goitre can be caused by overactive or underactive thyroid. I sincerely hope that this is being investigated further eg do you go back to your doc now after the scan or wait for them to call you? I realise this is hard if you have a young child but I expect with so many children you are used to juggling appointments with them too!

Also just a point about hair - it could be due to thyroid problems ( as well as menopause and low oestrogen) but this can be made worse by the type of HRT - some progestogens cause hair loss or aggravate it in some women - so you might be better off changing to Femoston like Millykin - where the progestogen is similar to the one in our own bodies.

Keep us posted as to progress especially re the thryoid.

Hurdity x

tash6

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 09:40:54 PM »

Yes I had bloods done all togeter im at ent on 15th march with my goitre but nothing else is being done they havent said I have a thyroid problem but they just put all symptoms down to being menopase dont know what happens with a goitre im new to all this so untill I go to hospital not sure if they change my hrt thats even more money to pay out it cost me double prescrption price for the box I have now but im at the docors on mon morning so hopefully get it sorted as for the itching its driving me mad aaarrrgghhhh

BrightLight

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 12:27:37 AM »

Hi Tash
Just adding a note of support - sounds like you are in the middle of a difficult time.  Good that you have an appointment to get more information and explain what is going on for you.

tash6

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 08:01:25 PM »

Thankyou all so much for advice and support

Dandylion

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 09:38:09 PM »

I suffer psoriasis and have noticed since starting HRT my symptoms have increased...boo...

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 04:08:50 PM »

Hi tash6

It's good that they are checking out what is causing your goitre, and perhaps this might provide an explanation for your hair loss too but seriously do consider changing your HRT type to one that is less "androgenic", like Femoston.

Here is some info about the progestogens in the different HRT types:

Progestogens which can be used cyclically are of 3 main types:

Testosterone derived - Norgestrel, Norethisterone acetate and Levonorgestrel.
    Less testosterone related - Medroxyprogesterone acetate(MPA).
    Least testosterone related - Dydrogesterone and Micronised progesterone (Utrogestan)

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

Femoston comes into the third category as it contains Dydrogesterone. The one that you have is testosterone derived and could make hair loss worse ( and contributed to facial hair).

Hurdity x