Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Magic Cures  (Read 20938 times)

Dancinggirl

Re: Magic Cures
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 12:25:47 PM »

I also think that our meno experiences are written in our genes. I have followed a very similar pattern to my mother and grandmother.  My sister, however, must have got a different set of genes as she didn't get the period pains and didn't have the premature meno. 
I have been told (though I am not certain this is accurate) that being on The Pill may have prevented me from suffering bone loss too early - as a dancer my weight was quite low and it is quite common for dancers to have no periods at all because of low body fat and therefore be oestrogen deficient. The Pill allowed me to have a career - I don't what I would have done without it.  Dg x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 02:18:41 PM »

I took the Pill for 11 years+ and fortunately haven't had too bad a menopause thus far.  I had DREADFUL period pains which is why I took the medication. I mean really really bad ones, clotting, nausea, flooding, intense pain ……. every 32 days. 

We are lucky in that we have choices.  The women I feel sorry for are those in countries where medication is not available due to living in War Zones and those under the control of men who keep their women in purdah ……..

I have no idea how my Mother's menopause went - I remember her crashing fatigue.  I don't discuss issues with my sister nor closest female cousin ……….
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:20:35 PM by CLKD »

babyjane

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 02:26:01 PM »

My mum had me by Cesarian Section due to face presentation after 9 hours of labour and I had my daughter by CS for FP after 9 hours of labour.

Mum had hysterectomy at 38 with ovaries retained, I had mine at 38 with ovaries retained so I think I am very like mum was.

However she was not one to talk about bodily functions or ladies parts or feelings so apart from that I don't know how she felt or coped, there certainly wasn't any HRT around in her day and I can remember being quite scared of her when I was small. She was always so angry.

Shame she is no longer with me to ask now I am in menopause.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 02:53:48 PM »

Very interesting to here the experiences of the menopause in past generations. I think we will all be more supportive of our daughters through their menopause. DG x

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 02:58:49 PM »

Dancing Girl - I was advised by a renal surgeon (who I worked with) that not drinking encouraged the kidneys to work more = getting up more often in the night!  When I began drinking more after 4.00 p.m. until bed time I don't have to get out of bed as much.  There is a condition which causes an irritated bladder at night so that needs to be discussed with your GP perhaps?

Also, VA can cause irritated bladder!

dahliagirl

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 04:19:50 PM »

Ah CLKD - we were told by the enuresis clinic my daughter attended that she should drink more!  And go to the loo lots too.  Lots of water and light coloured squash (not blackcurrant).  This was during the day though, not after 6pm.

I had to drink plenty after a kidney stone and found that I was not waking up in the middle of the night for my usual visit, so there may be something in this.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 08:52:48 PM »

CLKD - very interesting about actually drinking more through the evening - I'm going to give this a go.  It is certainly not helping not drinking after 6pm.  Using diuretics seemed a bit bonkers to me as well as I really don't think I'm retaining fluids in my legs (as she suggested) but I felt I had to follow my GPs advice to see if it helped. I have quite skinny legs and I've never noticed them being swollen!!!
I try to drink plenty of fluids through the day - small amounts often - I don't actually get very thirsty unless I am doing strenuous stuff that makes me sweat a lot.
When I saw the urologist and had the cystoscopy he said to go back if things didn't improve - so I may ask to be sent back to him. My nocturia has definitely been worse since I came off HRT so the lack of oestrogen really has had a negative effect on my bladder. I have looked at the COB Foundation website which has the various treatments for all bladder issues.  For Nocturia I think there is a hormone treatment but it has some nasty side effects so few people take it.
I've had so much conflicting advice - the urologist told me to keep practising the pelvic floor exercises but when I do them my urethra starts to burn and when I pee it feels as though my urethra is swollen.  When I get the burning now I actually concentrate on relaxing my pelvic floor and it seems to help!!!!
The Estring is helping to keep the burning at bay most of the time and I had hoped this local oestrogen would help my bladder but sadly not.
I'm seeing my GP tomorrow - let's see what she comes up with this time!!
DG x

honeybun

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 09:36:35 PM »

DG.

My mother has had the same problem re getting up in the night for a pee for years.
You have probably tried this but she takes a pill called Vesicare at night. It enables her bladder to hold more so she is not up so often. It's very successful for her.

Here are some details

VESIcare (solifenacin) reduces muscle spasms of the bladder and urinary tract.

VESIcare is used to treat symptoms of overactive bladder, such as frequent or urgent urination, and incontinence (urine leakage).

Honeyb x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 09:23:04 AM »

Thank you honeybun
I think that is one of the drugs that are suggested on the various sites about over active bladder problems - I will certainly try this if it is prescribed.

Last night was truly awful.  Yesterday evening I had visited my sister in hospital which was a bit stressful as she is having a terrible time (won't go into it now as it is so complicated).
Hospitals are so hot and the chairs are plastic so I got very hot and my urethra started to burn a bit. The burning calmed down on the journey home but I was very thirsty so had a few gulps of water. I did my usual routine before bed that helps me prepare for sleep and did drop off quite quickly. To cut a long story short I got up more that 6 times to pee and from 2.30am I only managed to snooze intermittently. At 4.30am I took a spoonful of cough medicine which gave me a couple of hours sleep.
I saw the GP this morning and she highly recommended the gynae I have arranged to see and is doing a referral letter  -  I'm seeing a Dr. Richard Warren in late November and I'll let everyone know how it goes.
I will ask to go back to the urologist if Dr Warren thinks I should pursue that route as well.
Thanks for all you support everyone - this thread has really been a rather "heart of my sleeve" indulgence for me. I find writing things down very therapeutic.  DG xxxxxxxx

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 11:03:41 AM »

Swelling in legs can be easy to detect.  If 1 pushes the skin on the calves and an indent remains, then there is water retention.  If the skin pop back up without leaving a dent, then there isn't swelling  ;)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 01:00:17 PM »

Thank you CKLD
Just tried your test  - pushed my fingers into my calves and it all sprang back - so that must mean I'm not retaining fluid in my legs.
I personally think it's combination of disturbed sleep since coming off HRT and possibly pressure on my bladder and/or my bladder is overactive.
I'm now looking for to seeing this gynae to get his advice. Part of me is reluctant to go back on HRT and the other part just wants some decent sleep - so if HRT will do the trick , then so be it.
DG x

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2014, 01:02:29 PM »

Have you tried bicarb of soda diluted into boiled/cooled water, sipped regularly?  It can ease the urinary tract. Whatever, drink more!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2014, 01:52:14 PM »

I often drink the bicarb remedy - really good for calming things.  The GP tested my urine this morning but there was no infection just the usual trace of blood.  DG x

orrla

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2014, 02:06:51 PM »

Dancinggirl,

I am myself amazed at how often I need to empty my bladder sometimes. When shopping, I spend most time on looking for toilets, I joke - I remember few older friends of mine were like this earlier when I was younger.. I understand, that besides skin wrinkles, things get less elastic inside too. And they change position. Womb, intestines, etc. Some parts are pressing on another, get swollen, etc.

I understand that you are on your feet a lot. Try to take time and lie down for few minutes when you can - perhaps horizontal position will help things inside to get into position? When walking try to remember to pull your inside up, hold it there, and exercise this way. Pelvic floor exercises were good advice, I think - flexing muscles inside helps. This burning sounds strange so it's good idea to check - sound like a mild infection?

If you had your legs swolen you'd know - my look like elephant's sometimes - after drinking alcohol, sitting down a lot, not drinking enough water, general lack of exercise..

What is your diet like? Some foods and spices are diuretic - perhaps there is something there what could be adjusted? Tea and coffee makes me go every 10 min. Drink pure water! I had to adjust really a lot - can't eat any prepared by others and restaurant food with god knows in it because great chances are that I'll have problem afterwards - my allergies are so intense now. They say that this is how it gets with age for some.

I have a great problem falling asleep too - I like taking tablets. Unfortunately GPs don't want to prescribe them. This is another thing which gets me mad, because I can't get it why they are so determined to make our life even more difficult - most menopausal women have this problem, they know very well - wasn't sleeping problem what pills were invented for? (Please don't respond with an 'addiction' stuff to me!).  Did you try to persuade your GP?  .. even for a short while?

Good luck!  :-*

honeybun

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2014, 02:24:01 PM »

Not going to mention addiction.....but....I think sleeping pills have their place but not for long periods of time. They become less effective and then more are needed. They also are responsible for people loosing the ability to fall asleep without help. I think they only prescribe small amounts to help establish a better sleeping pattern.

There are usually good reasons for prescribing practise. Might not be what we want but it could be what's best for us.

Honeyb
x
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5