Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Need advice & Feeling frustrated  (Read 3279 times)

nogs67

Need advice & Feeling frustrated
« on: September 01, 2014, 08:46:33 PM »

Apologies if this is long winded, I don't know where else to go.

At the beginning of the year I went to the drs as was having serious problems re periods.  They were irregular, had 2/3 months between, plus I had put on weight, occasional upset stomachs, plus hot flushes but also swollen stomach, which went down overnight.  Stomach was also uncomfortable when having sex.

My mum had gone through early menopause so thought this is it.  Dr advised a few tests and a scan just to make sure there was nothing seriously wrong.  Scan showed a small fibroid but dr said was nothing to worry about and he thought that yes I was going through early menopause. He suggested hrt but before he prescribed anything wanted me to see consultant at hospital to see if hrt affected the fibroid. Fair enough, I was fairly happy with this, even if I am 45 and going through menopause.

However after the hospital visit I am now totally frustrated and cannot see the dr for another couple of weeks as he is away.

The consultant basically didn't want to know about early menopause and said that I cannot be going through it as only 45.  She would take biopsy and scan.  At this point I pointed out to her that I had already had a scan which picked up the fibroid(and the reason I was referred to her), her response "oh you have a fibroid" she hadn't even looked at my notes!!!  Anyway after she took the biopsy just as a precaution she informed me that the best option for me was the minera coil which would help with my periods and take me up to when I went through the menopause!  She then wanted to make an appointment there and then to have one fitted in about six weeks time.  I asked for some time to think about it.

I am now totally confused.  Having read up on the minera coil it seems to be for either contraceptive reasons or to help with heavy periods.  I don't need a contraceptive and haven't been having heavy periods, just going through the menopause.

Has anyone else been offered the coil to help with irregular periods due to menopause or even heard about the coil being offered to help. I cannot see how it can

Any advice, comments would be so grateful as I don't know where else to turn and although my husband has been very understanding there does come a point when enough is enough.

Mrs January

Re: Need advice & Feeling frustrated
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 08:54:47 PM »

Hi Nogs

I have a mirena coil for changeable periods and Peri Meno symptoms. To be honest i get on great with mine an feel more human, no periods and no ill effects from having ti at all

Hugs

Mrs January xx

ellie66

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 10:34:08 PM »

I had an awful, awful time with the Mirena never EVER again. I would just ask your GP for HRT.

For some women its great for others its awful. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 07:59:28 AM »

Hi nogs67 and welcome to MM
I am appalled to hear about your encounter with such an ignorant and insensitive gynae. To say you couldn't be peri menopausal is simply wrong.  I have very similar problems to you and I was in my mid 30s.  I had to start HRT in my mid 30s. At 45, if your FSH is high and oestrogen levels are low you actually need HRT to protect your heart and bones.  Blood tests are notoriously unreliable as while you are in peri meno the hormones fluctuate greatly. Do read up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen.
RE. the Mirena - whilst some women do have problems with this, many, many women are extremely happy with the Mirena.  Having tried many different HRTs, I had one post meno for over 4 years and it was the best option for me. If you have fibroids it can be very helpful and it will mean you can have a little oestrogen in either patch or gel form to reduce any menopause symptoms e.g. flushes and night sweats. The Mirena will usually result in little, if any, bleeds at all after the first few months - which I think is a bonus?!! It sounds as though you have a good GP so, though you have to wait, it may be good to discuss it with him/her.
I would give the Mirena a go  - after all, it is easy to remove if you are not happy - there is a very good chance it will help.  If you are getting flushes and night sweats then I would ask for some Oestrogel which you apply to legs or arms daily - this can be started with just one squirt a day and then as your own hormones drop you can increase as necessary.
Good luck  DG x

nogs67

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 08:56:36 PM »

Thank you for all your replies.  They are certainly helping me make my decision.  I think I am going to wait to see my doctor and discuss it with him even though I will have to wait.   I wish I had posted on here earlier.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 08:23:52 AM »

Hi Nogs - have you seen this from the menu on the left of the screen under Bleeding Problems http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/heavyperiods.php  I know that you haven't got heavy periods at the minute but it does explain the use of the Mirena.

Taz x

nogs67

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 08:43:21 PM »

Taz2  thank you for that I will certainly give it a read.  So pleased I posted on here