Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New To HRT  (Read 8763 times)

Judeb

New To HRT
« on: April 28, 2014, 09:59:17 AM »

Hi, I'm a newbie to the forum and to HRT so apologies if I am putting this in the wrong place.

I am 43 and hadn't had a period for over 18 months.  FSH levels were checked and were very high so considered by Dr to be postmenopausal.  Due to age Dr suggested HRT even though the only problems I had were hot flushes and I could cope.   Apparently it is due to risk to bones and heart problems in later life.

I have been on Femseven Conti for about 5 weeks and in that time had 2 periods and I mean periods, sore boobs, put on weight and am generally cranky!!!! 

The chemist could only give me 6 patches and has told me this morning he has not been able to get any more in so I am waiting for a call from the Dr but am beginning to wonder it it's worth it.   The downside of HRT seems far worse than the flushes.  Is there any alternative to Femseven that might also help all the other side effects that I seem to have developed??

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Judeb

Re: New To HRT
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 11:53:34 AM »

Update
Just spoken to Dr who wasn't my usual GP and not sure he really understood that I had only been on HRt for 5 weeks.  He said the bleeding was unusual and when I pointed out that all the other information said it wasn't he didn't know what I was talking about!!

Anyway he said stop immediately and go for a review in 6 weeks so that is what I will have to do as I haven't got any more patches anyway.

Anyone else had this?

ellie66

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 12:54:54 PM »

Jude- the bleeding may be your own hormones kicking in. Also it can up take up to 6 months for HRT conti to settle down and you may get bleeding your GP should have warned you. As you are under 50 you really do it for your bones/heart. I doubt the bleeding is anything to worry about at all. Look at the side bar under hormone preparations there is loads of choice. I do not think the GP you spoke to knew what he talking about.

Judeb

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 01:00:47 PM »

Ellie

Thank you for your reply.  Put my mind at rest quite a bit.

i have an appointment with my GP on Wednesday so hopefully will get this sorted out!!  think she is going to have to change the HRT anyway as chemist can't get the femseven conti at the moment - I have seen other posts about this.

Many thanks.

ellie66

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 01:16:11 PM »

I really would not worry about the bleeding. HRT is a case of trail and error to find what is right for you. I went on it 4 years ago at 44 for the same reasons as you. I also have arthritis in my ankle following an accident which is another reason I wanted to be on it. Stick with it, shout if you get stuck. Its just a case of trying different HRT's. My advice do not worry about bleeding in the first 6 months of trying a brand otherwise you drive yourself nuts  :)

If you do not mind having a cycle I prefer it Femston is an excellent one to try. Lots of women on here love it. It comes in conti form too. It seems to cause the least side effects. I started on Femston but needed a change after 4 years so am now on Oestrogel and Utrageston ( which we regard on here as gold standard HRT its highly sort after  ;D) Again I use in cycle/sequential regime but it can be used conti.

I am in my 40's like you I suspect I am now post menopausal but I would rather have a cycle so I now exactly where I am with regards bleeding as medical procedures stress me out so do not want any unnecessary ones. Hurdity on this forum is post menopausal and uses an oestrogen patch and Utrageston (so same HRT as me effectively I prefer gel to patches, personal choice no medical reason) she chooses to have a cycle/sequential regime too

You can do either have a cycle/sequential HRT or go conti.   

Judeb

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 02:13:25 PM »

thank you sooo much.

I am going to have a look at Femston and mention it on Wednesday.

the joys of getting older I suppose

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 02:44:13 PM »

Hi judep

:welcomemm: !

Just to add I totally agree with ellie66 on this one!

Firstly your body has been deprived of oestrogen for a while so your body needs to get used to it again - sdie effects take a while to settle.

Secondly due to this - and especially as you are on continuous combined HRT some bleeding at first is absolutely normal! as ellie says, but not necessarily your own hormones ( but no reason why not - not everyone fits into the standard pattern and some women get cycles of their own hormones after stopping for longer than 12 months). There would be no reason to stop using HRT unless the bleeding did not settle after  a while - usually 6 months but takes longer in some women.

Thirdly the cranky feelings you are experiencing could well be due to the continuous progestogen in the conti HRT. I would never recommend any woman at any stage to start on conti HRT  - simply because you can't sort out what the side effects might be due to (oestrogen or progestogen). Progesterone in our own menstrual cycle causes some pms which is worse in some women ( for the whole second half of the cycle). What you are taking is a synthetic form of this (Levonorgestrel) which may disagree with you.

Personally at your young age if you have had an early menopause I would definitely try to go for the separate "gold standard" as ellie puts it ie bio-identical oestrogen  (patch or gel) and progesterone (Utrogestan). You can get much higher doses than with the tablets without so much of what you take having to go through the liver.

However also at your age you may prefer the convenience of a pill. In this case maybe try Femoston as ellie says or take an oestrogen only pill ( menu on left - HRT preparations) and separate (oral) progesterone (Utrogestan). At least your bleed will then be regular if you can put up with that!

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

ellie66

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 02:58:47 PM »

Just to add to Hurdity. I prefer the gel as I can tweak it, divide the doses. I am on 4 pumps a day 3 in the morning and 1 at night. I also do not like patches as they visible I am funny like that  ;D  Upside of patches the dose of oestrogen is continuous through out the day and night. Its a personal choice rather than a medical one. I just adore the Oestrogel and I have NO side effects from the Utrageston the bio identical progesterone.

I agree with Hurdity it may be wise to start with a cycle/sequential so you know where you are in terms of side effects with the progesterone.

Your original GP who prescribed the conti sounds clued up so it may be worth pushing for the "gold standard" Oestrogel or oestrogen patch and Utrageston. If not Femston which is "silver standard" in terms of side effects!

Do let us know how you get on and shout if you get stuck  :)

Judeb

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 03:52:54 PM »

Thank you - I am so glad I found this site.

i am going to ask for the gold standard on Wednesday and see how I get on - my GP is really nice, female and clued up about HRT so she will at least know what I am talking about.

ellie66

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 04:09:33 PM »

I would use it in cycle/sequential form as Hurdity suggests until you get use to HRT. It may wise to decide before if want a an Oestrogen patch or the Oestrogel. I rave about gel, Hurdity raves about patches.  :) Its the same thing bio identical oestrgen just a different way of taking it.

Sequential is Oestrgen everyday and then 200mg of Utrageston for 12 days, from days 15 to 26 inclusive. I have a light period about 3/4 days later.

Good luck, do let us know how you get on.

ellie66

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 02:11:27 PM »

Hi Jude,

How did you get on today?

Ellie x

Judeb

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 12:46:27 PM »

Hi Ellie

I went last night.  Saw a lady GP really nice and said that it is a question of finding the correct one.  The periods (as I call them) are not unusual, i shouldn't have them eventually on the conti but it is trial and error.

The Femseven conti is a non starter at the moment as it appears the chemist can't get it in.  She was quite happy to recommend the gel or patches but suggested combining this with the minerva Coil (may have spelled that wrong) for the progesterone.  suggested I have a think and do some research and then give them a ring. 

I have had  quick look and to be honest I may just give the whole thing a miss for this year - I was ok without HRT other than the flushes and these were manageable. I do understand the bones and heart issue but I get married in November this year so just over 6 months and I am just wary of it taking 6 or more months to find the right one when i have so much on this year and don't really want sore boobs and periods or the general irritability!!!  But I am going to look over the weekend as I understand the risks. 

she also said I could just let things settle for a month and then start again. I started my second bleed on Friday and it was a real period bleed. its now just a pink discharge through the day but as I took my patch off on Tuesday (that was the correct day) and haven't got anything right now I'm not sure whether it will stop or i will bleed again this time due to withdrawal.

thank you very much for asking- really appreciated. 

ellie66

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 12:49:54 PM »

Mirena coil is overkill and I felt terrible on it. I used for contraception. I am at loss to know why GP's do not know about Utrageston-Hurdity??? Utrageston I have no side effects on.

Jude- you highlight an issue GP's just do not know about Utrageston which is bioidentical progesterone and gives the fewest if any side effects.

Hurdity we need a Menopause Matter campaign to educate GP's! 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 12:52:35 PM by ellie66 »

Judeb

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 12:53:04 PM »

Exactly which is why i'm thinking just leave it for now.

Did a bit of reading - lots of stories on the coil and what worries me is it's not just a patch I can take off!!!!!

have a friend who used it - terrible acne which she is still struggling to control.

Really not sure this would be an option as I don't need the contraception in any event - husband to be has had the snip!!

ellie66

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 12:58:29 PM »

I just felt really rubbish with the Mirena no energy, libido etc. I was miraculously better within 7 days of it being removed. Norestherone (spelt that wrongly) I am terrible with too that makes me feel absolutely awful.

It you can get Utrageston prescribed with a patch or gel it is fabulous. Its educating GP's though. My GP is a colleague which means easier for me but he had never prescribed it before either.
Pages: [1] 2