Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Denture/menopause  (Read 5093 times)

bev567901

Denture/menopause
« on: October 30, 2013, 11:40:59 AM »

As you know I am 50 have had peri symptoms since February culminating in the Summer with dreadful nausea like morning sickness being my worst symptom among others. I was still just about managing with day to day stuff though on no meds but getting worse backwards & forwards to the docs. What was the beginning of the end sort of was that I wear a full top denture (always had problems with my teeth, hate dentists, ashamed to admit having all my top teeth out at 45 yrs of age in this day & age when good teeth are more normal.) I never had a problem with the denture ever, then one day early Sept putting it in made me gag I guess cos I was so poorly. Same thing two days later. I haven't been out since apart from docs appts because of having no top teeth in. This is what drove me to crisis point as I have young kids & it was then I was put on an AD & Benzos etc. I sent the denture away to have no back on it so it doesn't hit the back of the mouth but it would mean I would now have to use adhesive. I have always had a strong gag reflex, I can clear up stuff no problem I am not a gagger. I need to get this denture back in so I can do school runs, shopping, work etc. I have tried it once since the back was taken away & it felt strange but no gag. I want to wait until I am feeling better, I don't want to set myself up for failure but don't want it to go on too long. The reason the gag is so stressful for me is that I am vomit phobic it really had a bad affect on me phsychologically. Any ideas? Hypnotherapy? B x

Dancinggirl

Re: Denture/menopause
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 12:08:23 PM »

Oh Bev
What a horrible thing to deal with.  My father was a dentist (sadly he died over 30 yrs ago) and I used to work in his surgery as a dental nurse. Back then he was constantly making dentures for those who had poor teeth.   My teeth aren't great - I grind my teeth at night and I've broken quite few! Got to have a new crown soon to replace another broken tooth - expensive!
Unfortunately the gums do tend to shrink when you loose your teeth so good fitting dentures may mean having new ones made more often - this is expensive these days.  I think adhesive is pretty good these days and suspect most denture wearers have to use it.  I hope you have a good dentist who is understanding.
I also suffer with gag reflex - I can't eat certain foods e.g. pasta - so i can really understand the feelings you get with this denture.  I do hope you can become more used to your denture and get your confidence back.  DG x

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 12:44:09 PM »

It's great that you are not getting the gag reflex now. As CLKD would say...baby steps. Practice when you are feeling confident. Don't force yourself to wear it for a long time.
Slow and steady until you are comfortable.
You might not have to put on one of these paste things. Can you not get a sort of pad thing that you can cut to shape. I have seen the advert on TV.

Good luck. Soon you will be able to smile with confidence again.

Honeyb
X

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 04:06:20 PM »

Hello bev 567901.
Sorry you are having this trouble and of course it is affecting your confidence!
It is true that gums shrink with age so could the dentures simply have become too large and you need a new set to be fitted. Also, is it worth looking on the internet for advice as there must be other people who've had the same experience and found solutions. How about the web pages of dental hospitals, that sort of thing.
Apologies if you've already tried all this but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Take care.
K.

bev567901

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 07:54:28 PM »

I had to cut short my post as it makes me gag just talking about it (or writing.) Its almost like some foreign body in my mouth even without the adhesive is now a real problem. I had to go to the dentist this morning as I seemed to be developing an abscess yesterday on a bottom tooth & he says the work needed would be too much for me to cope with as it is on 3 teeth as I am so scared of the dentist.  I will need all the bottom ones out now & a bottom denture! I have antibiotics & can keep the bottom set for now & hopefully soon I can get the top ones back in! Maybe the abscess will take a long time to come back or I can have a few courses of AB's or else I will be toothless. How can the meno cause this, I can't even take the huge Amoxicillin tablets so I just rang the kindly Sainsburys pharmacy man who said take the powder out & put it in jam or bits of bread & get it down you that way.  This meno nausea is just so all consuming I have never had a problem with tablets either until now except for when I was pregnant.
Thanks for the replies guys it makes me feel better, tomorrow is another day & maybe I will get more than an hrs sleep tonight & not look like Bo Selecta in the morning after the AB. I could probably go out tomorrow night with it being Halloween & people will think I have done a great make up job. Having no top teeth is just so witch like I accidentally turned my phone camera to look at me the other day when I was taking a pic of the kids it was so disgusting  :'( Bev x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 12:07:06 PM »

Oh Bev - how rotten! :sick02:  If you have an abscess as well, no wonder you feel sick.  Antibiotics always upset my stomach. I remember a dentist mentioning to me that the menopause can effect the gums and your gums are crucial to dental health. I don't think you should dwell on what you could or should have done regarding your teeth but hopefully find a positive easy forward with dentures and regaining your confidence. 
It wasn't that long ago that women had teeth removed when you were pregnant because it was thought this benefited the babies bones.  My grandmother had full dentures from her mid twenties!
 My poor sister was in a car accident that loosened all her teeth badly and now they are simply dropping out.  She regularly calls me crying because another has dropped out.
I do hope you have a sympathetic dentist who will help you through this.
Try to eat simple foods often to help with the nausea.
I wish you well  DG x :hug:

bev567901

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 05:29:11 PM »

It gets worse, I cannot take the 500mg amoxcillin tablets they just make me gag because I feel so much nausea. SO I rang the nice man at Sainsburys last night who said take it out of the capsule & have it with jam or something. I have been doing that but for some reason decided to google it this afternoon & it seems it is not safe. Phoned my pharmacist who confirmed this & hubby has gone to get the childrens liquid type for me that they all hate & won't take!! Now I am worried about the stuff I took today in a chocolate mousse. This meno lark is all encompassing its getting ridiculous how can it stop me puting my teeth in & taking a giant pill?????  Fed up.com. Bev x

andius

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 12:27:02 AM »

I have never been a gagger.........except for during pregnancy.  I gagged every morning when I brushed my teeth and couldn't take vitamins unless they were crushed or cut in particles. I especially hated it when it made me vomit or even start dribbling in later stages of pregnancy.  It went away each time I delivered.

Might want to have your hormones checked?

Andius

Suzi Q

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 04:40:14 AM »

They can make dentures now thsat are far far lighter almost see thorugh the palate part
They can also make them that dont go so far back I hate the dentist Im phobic I sob like a 5year
Your not aloe sweetie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ive got my check up 18th Dec I know I have to have a filling im already paniking ya got to laugh

bev567901

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 06:41:11 AM »

Andius that is me exactly, I describe my meno as just like pregnancy which is why the doctor wasted a pregnancy test on me at 50!  You don't take many tablets when pregnant but I remember the odd para for a headache being a problem & then it all just goes away. I had my hormones checked and they came back fine, I am going to ask for a repeat. I wonder what time of the month would get the best results in my favour. Will post a question.Thank you for your input. Bev x

bev567901

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 06:44:27 AM »

Suzi Q its ridiculous isn't it but it is a real problem. You come out feeling like you have conquered Everest. My sister can sit forever & have anything done. Lets hope the filing is weeny & takes no time at all. B x