Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: hi, new here  (Read 2919 times)

perplexed

hi, new here
« on: October 25, 2016, 03:10:27 AM »

Hi, I've just turned 50!....and for about a year or more now I've experienced irregular periods, and a skin itch which I now know starts about a week before I get my period.  The last period I had however, the skin itch started before hand and was itchier than before and seemed to reach a crescendo when the period finally arrived, it was unbearable and I could not sleep, it did seem to escalate at night.  I tried antihistamines, prednisolone (just the once and it did nothing), then temazepam to try to at least get to sleep and that even does not work like it used to, meaning the itch would wake meup from that!.  As the period finished the itch has waned.  I went to see my GP, got a blood work up and it did show that my hormone levels were consistent with menopause.  My doctor suggested I try remifemin first before putting me on HRT.  I have been taking Remifemin for about 3 weeks now and I guess it does something as the itch is there but not all the time and manageable.  I do take drowsy antihistamines at night and that seems to help.  I don;t really experienced hot flushes.  Although yesterday I didn't take any remifemin, to see what would happen, and last night I woke up at least 4 times with hot flushes, so obviously it does something.  I will however, see my dr and get her to put me on HRT hopefully this will get rid of this unbearable skin itch.  Anyway that's my story.  I have tried moisturising, exercise, eating well, staying hydrated, taking flax seed, magnesium you name it.  Not showering everyday.  What a horrible thing to go through, and how frustrating that menopause still seems to be such a hush hush thing, sigh.  Advice on HRT would be most welcome, also is going on the pill for perimenopause any better than just straight into HRT? anyone's experiences would be most welcome.  Thanks  :)

Maryjane

Re: hi, new here
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 06:28:36 AM »

Hi, I am also 50. I has the dreadful itch also , I would scratch my legs almost raw in my sleep. Went two weeks after starting HRT. I have been on HRT a year.

Your GP should have offered you HRT as a first line TBH.

perplexed

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 08:39:52 AM »

hi marijane,

I've been seeing my GP for over 20 years now, she knows me very well and knows that I would prefer to try "natural" options first before taking medications, that was why she suggested remifemin.  She is a wonderful GP and I do trust her judgement, she's never let me or my family down before.

So the itch stopped fro you on HRT? I have to say my itch is not that bad that I scratch myself raw, it's more just really annoying and seems to jump from place to place on my body, if I scratch here, then it seems like it travels over there and so on and so forth! and then there's the pin **** sensation, fun times!...

I needed to get a mammogram before she can put me on HRT anyway.

Hopefully I've replied correctly!

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 05:27:45 PM »

Hi perplexed

:welcomemm:

I presume you are not in UK as Remfemin is just Black Cohosh? Just because a product is natural does not make it better! Replacing oestrogen which is deficient is more natural (if the product is the bio-identical one that we make in our bodies ie estradiol) than using a herbal remedy. Black Cohosh is not advised to be used for longer than 6 months due to possible safety issues (from what I  remember). There is information on this site about it (scroll down for Black Cohosh):
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/otherpreps.php

Re the pill - in UK you won't get it after age 50 due to potential risks so HRT is your best bet. As long as you avoid the PRE- types ( horse oestrogens) all the others contain bio-identical oestrogen ie estradiol - or something very close to it. Most of the progestogens are synthetic but micronised progesterone is available in a variety of preparations across the world.

How many periods have you missed in the sense of how irregular is your cycle? The more periods you've skipped and the longer gaps between them - the nearer you are to menopause and often the more successful HRT will be - at least initially - although many women feel better almost immediately even when barely reaching peri-menopause.

Hurdity x

perplexed

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 08:35:03 PM »

Hi thanks for the reply, no I'm in Australia and yes I know it's black cohosh, which from a few journals I've read is the only natural menopause alternative that showed any effect in any clinical trials.  Plus I remember reading Germany has guidelines for herbal medicines and it's been around for a while, so I thought it would be a good thing to try first up, I can say thought that it does seem to help with nighttime hot flushes, the itch, no, zip, zero, nada.

I'm not opposed to pharmaceuticals, but always try to use them as a last resort, and, this is turning out to be the last resort.  Again last night incessant itch/pin ****ling, so had to resort to taking some temazepam, slept like a baby! (although why they say that is beyond me as babies are the worst sleepers!).

My periods have been erratic since the beginning of last year where I missed a period which was unusual for me as I have always been as regular as clockwork.  Lately they have been further apart, and the last time (which was when the itch started) my period was very light and didn't last that long, so I'm guessing I'm on the home stretch now.  Well at least I hope so!....

Thank you for the reply and the information  :)

PS- interesting to noe the different conditions in different countries, I spoke with my dr about HRT or the pill she said that if I needed contraception then the pill would be better, plus I don;t smoke and am otherwise fit and healthy, not having any medical conditions.  But, I will talk to her about it next week.  I know that previously the pill has never agreed with me, either making me really really weepy or really really angry.  This is why I'm a bit reluctant with the HRT not wanting to turn into some emotional wreck!.....But, if there's no itch, then I'm there!

Did anyone experience any extreme mood swings on HRT?

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 05:36:35 PM »

HRT will help prevent the worst of the mood swings due to oestrogen fluctuations -  because you are given a constant dose of oestrogen, and therefore it does not dip so low. However you will still ovulate (until ovaries stop functioning) and therefore your progesterone levels will still rise and fall - and could contribute to mood swings. If you want to eliminate them completely then as you say the CCP is the answer although does not suit everyone due to the very high doses of synthetic progestogens which need to be taken as part of the pills. If they have any of the types like Qlaira or Zoely in Aus ( ie which have estradiol as the oestrogen rather than one of  the synthetic types like Ethinyl estradiol for example) that would be good.

There's a great article about peri-menopause here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

Hurdity x

Peacegirl

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 05:56:27 PM »

I have the itch too, it jumps about and wakes me up. Does anyone know what causes it?

perplexed

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 08:33:16 PM »

hi peacegirl, from what I'm reading it seems to be low estrogen?  I wish I could offer some remedies but nothing seems to work.  Black cohosh or remifemin  (in Australia) seems to help me with nighttime hot flushes and seems to keep the itch to a bearable level, also antihistamines before bed, sometimes helps, if all else fails I zonk myself out with some temazepam, which is not an ideal thing to do on a regular basis.  This all to tide me over until I get this HRT or the pill, whichever my dr decides to start me on.