Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Sanitary towels causing uti?  (Read 6880 times)

toffeecushion

Sanitary towels causing uti?
« on: October 20, 2016, 06:46:26 PM »

I have what I belive to be a uti.  My gp is testing for it and has given me antibiotics, but I've been wondering whether I actually have some kind of reaction to sanitary towels.  Since my last period in July I have been wearing a pad daily for work, just in case.  I'm now thinking that this could be stopping the air flow, so to speak.  Anyone else found this?

Megamind

Re: Sanitary towels causing uti?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 06:53:41 PM »

For years, I used to use Tampons but switched to sanitary towels a while back and I find I always get very itchy and sore after using them and that's just for the duration of my period, so I would think using them everyday would have some effect but not sure if it would cause a UTI.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 08:09:22 PM »

I found that most towels had deodorising products added which made me very sore. Once I switched to a non-perfumed type then the problem stopped.

Taz x

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 08:41:44 PM »

Hello toffeecushion.

If the pad is dry it may be that friction is causing skin bacteria to migrate to your bladder and causing an infection. I suggest this because ages ago I scratched an itch if you know what I mean ( sorry if tmi) and then a routine urine test showed a slight infection. I didn't require treatment and after about a week of drinking lots of water the next sample was clear.  I assumed it was caused by normal surface dwelling bugs getting into internal areas and creating problems. I imagine during a period the flow would wash away any skin bugs but without that perhaps they can get into the bladder.

Hopefully you'll find the solution soon.

The care.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 04:40:50 PM »

I always had an itch high up at the end of each period.  I was unable to use tampons as my vagina is too short.  As the bleed dried up the itch started.

Have you started the ABs?  Unless the urine sample was sent to a Lab. for testing your GP should not be prescribing them.  Why use a pad ……..  :-\  If you think you require 1 then make sure that the vagina and labia are well lubricated and change the pad often.  The vagina needs air ;-)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 04:42:53 PM by CLKD »

walking the dog

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 01:55:33 PM »

I have been following the thread as I currently have soreness from sanitary towels due to an ongoing ten day period. I find lilets towels if you can get them are the best and I think boots do a natural own range. If anyone has any suggestions id be grateful

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 07:14:34 PM »

I too would be naked if the weather was warm enough  ;D - however, I don't do well with humidity!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 07:32:02 PM »

World Wide unless a beach is declared a naturist area  ::) ….. but I don't like sand in my sandwiches  ;)

Maybe leaving off a towel completely will ease the itch!  Also, add LIVE yoghurt (Greek) to the diet which will cleanse the gut all the way through.  If necessary, put LIVE yoghurt onto a tampon and insert as high up as possible? 

Scampi

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 02:21:08 PM »

Switch from full pads (which are high absorbancy and will dry the skin - and inside too) to panty-liners if you are nervous of starting a bleed without warning.  Also, I find ointments designed for nappy rash are useful for itchiness or soreness caused by pads (when you think about it, the irritation is a form of nappy rash!).

toffeecushion

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 04:41:48 PM »

I didn't take the antibiotics and am still waiting for the test results but I stopped wearing anything on Friday and amazingly felt a whole lot better, but I also started a period today.  So is it the pads or can it be hormonal?  It has been on and off for a while now.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 06:09:58 PM »

By not wearing pads you might get the answer to your concern.  I remember carrying protection for at least 5 years after my last bleed  ::) - in case.

Katejo

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 01:23:41 PM »

By not wearing pads you might get the answer to your concern.  I remember carrying protection for at least 5 years after my last bleed  ::) - in case.

I haven't been carrying any tampons for some time now. I am nearly 3 years post and haven't needed any yet. I didn't have any problems with UTI and tampons when I was still using them.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 04:08:53 PM »

Maybe because the area was moist due to regular bleeding.  Towels however are a different method of protection - how is the sensation?