Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Progesterone high?  (Read 6558 times)

Trufflecat

Progesterone high?
« on: November 21, 2015, 06:17:19 PM »

I am feeling quite happy  :) this is a good thing obviously, but I do feel alomst a bit euphoric somehow. I started on 100mg of Utrogestan a night (plus everol 50 oestrogen patch) about 11 days ago because the Evorel Sequi made me depressed. Anyone else had this?

Clovie

Re: Progesterone high?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 07:32:03 PM »

That's weird...I've noticed that yes I do get very brief (TOOO brief!) periods of almost fleeting euphoria at times during my cycle. I'll be sure to make note of if it's during the time I'm on the utrogestan.

Enjoy it while it lasts!  :D 

Trufflecat

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 08:14:51 PM »

I will put it in my diary and not the cycle!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 10:22:33 PM »

Hi Trufflecat - I have been on Utro continuously for about 2 months now and use just one pump of Oestrogel alongside. I feel relaxed and calm - I sort of know what you mean about feeling 'euphoric' - I seem to have a general feeling of wellbeing and it's really good - I'm hoping this stays with me.  I remember feeling like this in the mid trimester of my pregnancies. I'm really pleased I tried taking this continuously as I now don't get the fluctuations of a cycle and I've only had 2 headaches during these 2 months, whereas before I'd have a headache at least once a week for 2-3 days. DG x

Trufflecat

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 10:47:20 PM »

Dancing girl, long may it continue. My headaches are bike so maybe this will stop them. I think that's why the GP put me on a lower dose of oestrogen

peri

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 09:50:23 AM »

I get this too, I'm also on evorel 50 + utrogestan and am finding I feel much calmer and happier on the progesterone phase. I would like to go onto continuous utrogestan eventually, however, I always start bleeding before I get to the end of the course so have to abandon it to my period. I take this to mean I'm still in peri.

Cassie

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 09:52:45 AM »

No it has different effects on me the first night I use it it usually knocks me out and then after that it kinda makes me feel wired up, almost like a caffein overdose not sure that I enjoy the feeling.... :-\

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 10:20:28 AM »

peri - I'm no sure how old you are and where you actually are in your meno but I am 59 and very post meno but when I used Utro sequentially I always started bleeding before the end of the 14 days of Utro - I even had some spotting when just on the Oestrogel!!!  I think it's because the Utro is not as stable as the synthetic progesterones so gives some fluctuations.  My gynae explained it was very important to take it for the full 12-14 days of each cycle, so if you are not taking the full course of Utro then this could result in your womb lining building up and could cause further erratic bleeding. I therefore urge you to take the full 12-14 days to allow Utro to fully shed the lining regardless of any early bleeding - you may well find this will make things settle. Even if still peri, I think some women are allowed to do the 25 days per month of Utro so this might actually be better for you? DG x

peri

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 01:06:27 PM »

Hi Dancinggirl I'm 51, I will take the full course although I know everything is ok as I had an hysteroscopy earlier this year to check everything out and all was absolutely normal no fibroids, polyps or anything. But you're right, I've previously  felt it was too messy once my bleed comes but will complete the course in future especially as I feel so much better on it, many thanks x
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 01:21:32 PM by peri »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 10:04:54 PM »

Yes, I did suffer with PMT - I also had PND after my first baby, though not severely.
I got irritable and headachy on synthetic progesterones but in my early days of HRT that was all that was available so I just knew when to expect these effects and coped.
When I used Utro sequentially I still got the low mood dip and headaches I used to get - taking it continuously seems to make the difference - I started to feel really good after I'd been on the Utro for 3 weeks. I also think I feel better on the lower dose of oestrogen - I used to use 2 pumps per day and now use only one pump!!!!
DG x

Trufflecat

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 08:21:02 AM »

Stellajane my PMS has been really appalling. So bad that I even tried Prozac(didn't work,) and every natural remedy going. I felt wonderful when preg but ended up on antidepressants after my twins were born. My husband read about John Studd in the newspaper and, looking at his website, I fit his profile of 'reproductive depression' .  we are all so different!

Clovie

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 08:24:07 AM »

Hi Stellajane

I posted above to say I get fleeting moments of euphoria - but not sure its down to utrogestan, but feel sure its hormonal in nature - but yes, I suffer awfully with PMT, had PND and get the most awful PMT symptoms with progesterone!!!
That's the reason I have Utrogestan and not any other synthetic prog as I discovered when I started HRT that I am quite severely progesterone intolerant  :(

On the synthetic prog I was absolutely awful from 24 hours in  :'( - at least on the utrogestan I am fine the first three days or so, then my mood takes a  nose dive, my insomnia gets worse, I'm irritable, paranoid, my joints ache etc, I just have to grit my teeth until the end of the utrogestan. Because of this intolerance I only use the Utrogestan every 3 months or so.   

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 05:23:26 PM »

I think in pregnancy - the levels of oestrogen are also so extremely high that the feel good aspects vastly outweigh the negative effects of progesterone - apart from the feeling of tiredness which I remember persists to some extent throughout pregnancy - not just during the first 3 months.

Also especially when taking progesterone orally - because the molecule is unstable, and much is lost both through digestion and metabolism (though the liver) - the bio-availability is low, and therefore the dose taken is much higher than would be produced by the ovaries - in order to ensure that the right amount gets to the uterus. I am sure this is why synthetic progestogens were originally developed - they last longer in the bloodstream and also have a more powerful effect on the womb lining.

Vaginal progesterone does not have to go through the liver so has a higher bio-availability - but still has to be absorbed through the cervix etc - but has fewer systemic side effects for most women.  I wish there were more studies looking into this and research into different formulations/doses so that we could take the minimum to keep the lining thin. I guess though that because the doses are standard - the one-size fits all approach must be set at a level high enough to ensure most women do not develop endometrial hyperplasia - so for some of us - sadly that means having to put up with side effects.

Hurdity x