Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: omega 7 (buckthorn oil)  (Read 16172 times)

Emma

• Administrator
Re: omega 7 (buckthorn oil)
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 04:31:53 PM »

Have you had a look on our shop page
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/shop.php

spookstreet

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2015, 02:25:43 PM »

I've tried this a couple of times - principally for dry eyes - and I'm afraid to say I don't think it's done much for the eyes or for the minor vaginal atrophy I have. Not that that means it won't work for anyone else, of course!  :)

PS - I've just looked up the PharmaNord site (https://www.multivits.co.uk/?gclid=CNPbz57Fg8kCFUQ6GwodX0ELCw) and it seems that their special offer (50% free while stocks last) is running out ...

Witches Cat

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 05:04:11 PM »

I'm going to try it, I have been put on Vagifem, one per night for 2 weeks, then 2 a week for the rest of the pack of 28. (My pharmacy said they get quotas and they had used all of theirs so I had to go to another pharmacy that still had some, outrageous) anyway, had to have these to make it poss to have a smear test they could get enough cells from to actually read. After that I want something natural. I'm not on HRT any more, had to stop it because of thickening womb lining due to the oestrogen.. 

Hurdity

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 06:06:04 PM »

Hi Witches Cat

Once you start local oestrogen for VA it's advised to stay on it long term because without it unfortunately the symptoms will usually return due to oestrogen deficiency ie it's not a permanent cure. No harm in taking something natural as well though. The oestrogen in Vagifem is "bio-identical" ie the same molecule as made in our bodies and as such as as natural as you can get. Alternatively you can use a weaker oestrogen - estriol - which is available as cream which you may find more acceptable?

The information on this is here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

Hurdity x

Linsey44

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 10:31:22 PM »

Ive tried cellular support by sibu, skin was good but wasnt paying attention to nether regions cos at the time it wasnt necessary.

I have tried lots of supplements over the years and maybe a combination of them would be beneficial, unfortunately it would also be quite expensive.  I firmly believe that the quality of supplements greatly vary and in most cases its worth paying a bit extra if you can.

Linsey x

Winterose

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 04:48:28 PM »

i take the pharma nord ones, also take Astaxanthin, it stops aches and pains and is great for my sore neck ,probably the only supplement I can genuinely say works for me in as much results were very quick , also stops you getting sunburnt , again you have to get the expensive ones.

Smokey

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 01:12:48 PM »

Hi

I thought I'd report back. I've been on these buckthorn sups for about 9 weeks now, I think my eyes aren't so dry and actually feel a bit wet, but eyes are still painful.

What are the side effects of these ? Does anyone know? 

Hurdity

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2016, 08:41:37 PM »

I haven't looked in detail but a quick google came up with this:

Is Sea Buckthorn Oil Safe?

As with other herbal oils, I advise you to use caution when using sea buckthorn oil, especially if you're dealing with certain health conditions. It is not recommended for people with diseases of the intestines, kidney, and liver.29

Sea buckthorn oil is generally safe for most healthy adults, but it is not recommended for children ages 12 and younger.30 I advise you to avoid using them for more than three months, as there are reports of adverse effects in people who use the oil for prolonged periods. There are also people who are sensitive to sea buckthorn and its constituents, so make sure to do a patch test on your arm before applying this oil to your skin.31

You may notice your urine turn a dark yellow or reddish color, with a slight musty smell (similar to old books), but this is usually harmless.32 Applying copious amounts of the oil on your skin may also cause a yellow discoloration on your complexion.

Since there is no scientific proof regarding its safety for pregnant or nursing moms, I recommend avoiding this oil if you are pregnant, lactating, or planning to be pregnant in the near future.

Side Effects of Sea Buckthorn Oil

Sea buckthorn oil may cause certain side effects in some people, such as

diarrhea, abdominal spasms, and other gastrointestinal problems. Avoid taking this oil in high amounts, as it may lead to dehydration and loss of beneficial electrolytes. Overdosing and using sea blackthorn oil for prolonged periods may also lead to kidney problems.33

Ingesting sea buckthorn oil may promote blood flow in the veins and arteries, so if you are taking any vasodilator medication, do not use this oil.34 It may also have blood sugar-lowering properties, so people who are taking insulin or diabetes medications should use this oil with extreme caution.35

I'm not giving the link because the site sells lots of stuff and I have previously read some dubious stuff (ie scientifically dubious) on there but this looks legit enough as it's cautionary rather than persuasive!

Hurdity x :)

Smokey

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2016, 03:33:25 PM »

Thanks for that information Hurdity, I do get diarrhoea and stomach problems at the moment so am going to discontinue use at the present.

Thanks again

Ann x

Witches Cat

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2016, 08:52:53 AM »

Hello all, I've been using the pharma nord ones since December, I took them along with using the Vagifem for the 28 days I had on prescription, once the Vagifem had finished I kept on with the Omega 7 capsules. I think they work for me, I was worried when the nurse at the docs tried to do my smear test telling me I had an infection and there was a lot of discharge, I thought maybe the capsules were causing probs. But it turned out there was nothing to worry about, no infection or anything else (dunno what the woman was on about to be honest) so I've kept taking them and will do so. I'm not needing any other lubrication on a daily basis, just a bit sometimes at bedtime  ... nudge nudge, wink, wink..
Pages: 1 [2]