Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Itchy nipples on hrt patch  (Read 12148 times)

rantywoman

Itchy nipples on hrt patch
« on: September 02, 2015, 07:44:22 PM »

Have any of you lovely ladies had itchy nipples after being on a combined hrt patch for a few months?
I was ok up until recently, but now my boobs feel heavy and the nipples itch from time to time so I'm wondering if it's caused by a build up of estrogen.
I'm going to leave off the patch for a couple of weeks and see if the itching goes away. Just when you think you're getting somewhere with these things......*sighs* ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Itchy nipples on hrt patch
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 08:11:18 PM »

I haven't taken HRT but do remember itchy nipples  >:(  ::) I would gently rub Savlon into the area

rantywoman

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 08:37:10 PM »

Thanks CLKD, I never thought of using Savlon. Now THAT, I have plenty of as since being postmenopausal I have become a walking disaster area and am forever cutting myself on everyday objects. I fall over too but that's another story haha.

I sure hope it works as this is driving me up the wall and the itchiness starts at the most inappropriatetimes argh!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 10:07:41 PM »

Doesn't it just - usually in the middle of a conversation with someone, or when I'm in a shopping queue  >:(  ::).  As for the falling over, knocking  myself - I bang parts of me and know I wont' remember how I got that bruise  ::)

wombat62

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 10:58:06 PM »

Hi

Yes, I've had this recently. Since being on the patch I've had an itchy boob from time to time but this year it's been the nip. It lasts a few days and then goes away so hope it's nothing to worry about.

Although being post for some time now I still seem to go though patches where I feel the hormones are up and down. The night sweats come and go, the tummy goes up and down. Sometimes I think it's to do with state of mine, the more stress/worry I have seems to affect me and then when I'm on a good roll I feel awesome....arghh!

I'm going to mention it to the doc next time. I get so worried when you read that breast cancer can present in all sorts of forms that anything that happens in that area immediately promotes panic.

rantywoman

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 07:57:25 PM »

It does make you worry because you wonder if it's just hormone related or something more sinister. I'm also wondering whether its due to weight gain, making the skin stretched and itchy.
Like you wombat62, I sometimes feel full of energy and as though I could take on the world and then straight out of the blue I feel deflated emotionally and so tired. I really thought the patch would stop these fluctuations but, alas  no. I'm leaving off the patches for now to see if things get better boob wise, the downside will be my head will no doubt revert back to being on another planet andI'll be a foggy brained mess again.

CLKD, oh yes, I'm  ALWAYS walking into door frames, dropping stuff, you name it, I do it but the scariest thing happened a year ago and it was the event that made me go running to the docs for help with my hormones. I'd been into a city centre cafe for lunch and then walked out without paying.......I didn't even realise what I'd done  until half an hour later. Then the cold sweat started and I panicked. Of course, I immediately returned to the cafe and paid. They were very understanding thank god, but it made me realise I could so easily have ended up being arrested and who would have believed me?

Maybe weight gain and uncomfortable boobs are something I'll have to put up with if it means keeping my sanity and keeping me out of a prison cell! ::)

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 08:36:24 PM »

I read this and thought  "I don't have any nipples on my HRT patch"  :boobs:

Taz x  ;D

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 03:53:59 AM »

Not on HRT but have the itchy boobs... Also slightly worried since it tends to be one more than the other. I've had heavy itchy boobs as a PMS symptom earlier so I'm hoping it's just crazy hormones.... The boob that itches the most has mh whole life been significantly larger than the other, so I'm also thinking this one rubs against bras etc much more?

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 09:54:50 AM »

Hi rantywoman - I have had a period of itchy nipples recently - over the last few months. I've been on an HRT patch for more than 8 years so it's not due to that particularly. I did mention to the doc and also when I had my mammogram but nothing seems to be wrong. Like 20032003 mine is only on the right side and only the nipple. There is a type of breast cancer known as Paget's disease of the breast which starts in the nipple but is very rare (even among breast cancers) so always good to checked out as it is for any changes to the breast, and to check them regularly.

Not sure why this would be a reason to stop the patch thouygh (unless the itching is happening all the time and you can't stop scratching  ;D ) as it would seem a mild side effect compared to the benefits of HRT in eliminating flushes and sweats. Noit sure what you mean by a build up of oestrogen - your serum levels of estradiol will have increase very quickly within a few days of using the patch and then stabilised within a very short time-scale - so it doesn't build up as such because it is constantly being metabolised (and then replaced from the patch). Oestrogen does of course stimulate breast tissue and restores them to their pre-menopausal state! In some women they get a bit larger than before  -they have done in my case but it may be that I am also a few pounds heavier than when young and excess fat is often stored in the boobs!

Hurdity x

rantywoman

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 08:09:36 PM »

I read this and thought  "I don't have any nipples on my HRT patch"  :boobs:

Taz x  ;D

Hahahahaha Taz. I hope you don't feel left out ;D I hadn't read it like that but now its made me chuckle.

Hmmm, judging by your comments, 20032003 and Hurdity, maybe its not the patch that's causing the itching. I think I'll give myself a week off the patch and see if things improve. If not I might go back onto it and see what happens. I do have an appointment to see my doctor about something else on the 14th so I'll mention it to her when I'm there. Better safe than sorry I suppose.

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 10:04:17 PM »

You might have to leave it longer than a week as the hormones may stay in your system for longer than that.

It's ok... I don't feel left out!  ;D

Taz x

wombat62

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 11:27:48 PM »

With me it's one side more than the other and it is the one that is slightly larger! I used to be a nice A cup but since putting on weight, meno and HRT etc they are now a couple of cup sizes bigger, although I'm convinced they are making bra cups smaller  ;)

Padget's symptoms also include any redness, flaking skin, scabs, eczema and yellow or blood discharge and flat. Itching was mentioned but didn't define if that meant continuous itching not coming and going every now and again. Neither did it say if the itching was caused by the skin condition in the area or internal.

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 05:46:45 AM »

I don't have any of those symptoms listed. What I've seen over the last few years are some extra stretchmarks, especially on my big-breast-side. And my "big" breast is probably at least one cupsize bigger than the other. Different shapes too. The smaller breast is more "forward" and the bigger is more "hanging". Very irritating. How do you even find comfy bras when you're uneven like that??? It tends to feel like I'm pinching the outer side of my big boob, and there's tons of extra space on the smaller side. Any suggestions?

wombat62

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 10:13:32 PM »

Buy two bras in different cup sizes and then cut them in half down the middle and sew them up to make a new one! :)

They make some with more stretchy material now so maybe that might be easier on your larger side?  Not easy......

rantywoman

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 06:46:58 PM »

Have you had a look online to see if there are any companies out there who cater for women with  breasts that are different cup sizes? Failing that, the stretchy material bra sounds a good idea.