Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: help does anyone else suffer with an auto immune disease made worse by meno !!  (Read 5957 times)

Jane44

Help please started with uveitis on Tuesday which is inflammation of the lining of the eye. Consultant thinks it's related to ankylosing Spondolitis. Since entering peri menopause it's been all downhill. My joints have been painful at  times when I can't walk with my back and feet. Ankles swelling. Hot flushes hair dried out and generally feeling awful. I try not to google but can't help it sometimes scared myself to death. Does anybody have similar problems and if I took hrt would it improve. My gp said yesterday it possibly would and prescribed me non cyclible hrt my friend who is a gp said this wasn't appropriate as my last period was March what do you think . Thank you in anticipation also canal these symptoms be made worse by stress .

Annie0710

Hi Jane

Not sure about the eye but everything else is meno related

I'm on oestrogen only hrt and sadly report I have all these symptoms plus others but that could be that I need a difference method/dose etc but waiting for gynae appt

There's mixed reports about hrt alleviating symptoms but of course it all boils down to trial and error of different ones plus dose

If only there was a one fits all method :-(

Annie xx

Dancinggirl

Jane44 - It does sound as though HRT would help you with some of your symptoms but Annie0710 and your GP friend are right, you should have been given a sequential HRT as you are not post menopause yet.  I'd go back and ask for a sequential HRT and I would suggest you try Femoston 1/10 as this has the kinder progesterone and more likely to suit you.
It's well worth giving HRT a try.  Keep us posted.   DG x
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:37:18 AM by Dancinggirl »

oldsheep

my fibro/M.E got much worse again with meno - helped with HRT when it works well.
My vitiligo has got much worse despite the HRT.
both are auto immunes.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

A drop of oestrogen levels = laxity of muscles.  So ladies can and do get more painful joints etc..

Where does the auto immune disease kick in  :-\

Has your GP advised to use your own flannel etc and that everything should be boiled?

Limpy

I've got MS, it got much worse with meno.
HRT does help.
Stress doesn't help anything at all.

Jane44

Thanks everyone things developing further now !! Went back to eye hospital and eye improving now my feet like balloons and they say I have poor kidney function God knows what is going on they think done immune response anyone had similar thing perhaps they could shed some light getting worried

GeordieGirl

I've been fit and healthy all my life until I had a lot of stress last year and my hormones went into free fall. A few months later I had breast cysts, suspected atherosclerosis (referral ongoing),  and colon cancer - as well as the meno symptoms of debilitating insomnia, brain fog, thinning hair, aching muscles and anxiety.

I started using natural progesterone cream a number of months ago and this has helped the insomnia and my hair and the breast cysts have now gone. I've recently been prescribed Utrogestan and Estrogel and the aches have gone, I feel more focused and the anxiety has subsided too. (Note both are bio identical hormones).

The Meno doctor pointed out the link with colon cancer and oestrogen - oestrogen protecting against this, the same applies with cardiovascular issues.

I'm positive my issues were started by my hormones all being suddenly out of kilter - like a set of dominoes, once one goes it can have a knock on effect on so many other things.

I do hope you find relief,
GG x

countrybumpkin

I have underactive thyroid caused by auto immune disease which I got in my 20's. It was always stable in my 6 monthly blood tests until i entered peri meno when it became very unstable and I have had to have 3 month blood tests for past 6 years!  with changing medication levels. I am now two years post meno and it is starting to settle down more.  This is completely normal reaction to any change in hormone levels and alot of women develop thyroid disease at menopause.

Glad your treatment is helping you.

CLKD

How is the eye today?

Jane44

Hi there thanks everyone for replying means a lot. Eye a bit better now they have increased the steroids just ankles huge but hopefully they will go down. All strange symptoms but feel all related somehow am sure all will be revealed ! Thanks girls for replying

CLKD

Do you have to sit with legs above hip level to ease the swelling?

Jane44

Hi everyone now going to ask about Palio diet ? Anybody any experience it seems very drastic but will try anything if it gets rid of this swelling in ankles which aren't
Actually painful just in the morning it's all weird really but a friend said to try the Palio what do you all think x

CLKD

I wouldn't try any diet except what I am already eating  :-\

There will be a reason for ankle swelling and if you are to undergo tests a faddy diet may well alter results!  If the GP wanted you to try a diet it would have been suggested - a build up of fluids can be caused by 101 reasons  ::)

Have you been advised to raise the end of the bed and to sit with legs above hip level?  When do you return for tests?

GeordieGirl

Hi everyone now going to ask about Palio diet ? Anybody any experience it seems very drastic but will try anything if it gets rid of this swelling in ankles which aren't
Actually painful just in the morning it's all weird really but a friend said to try the Palio what do you all think x

Nutrition, nutrition, nutrition. Our body is designed to heal itself if it's getting the right nutrients to do so. Instead we tend to feed it crap - too much sugar, far too much salt, few nutrients, and then expose it to toxins in the form of artificial chemicals in our food and our homes.....

I'm not au fait with the Palio diet but I'd definitely recommend looking at nutrition as a way to boost your body's immunity and give it the best resources it can have to fight your condition.  I've been doing this recently and have never felt better (and my daughter's eczema has cleared up too, something the GPs never managed to do with their array of drugs).  I'd recommend:

1. Making fruit and veg a large percentage of what you consume each day. I aim for around 80-90% currently, though my girls are around the 75% mark.  Go for rainbow colours, dark greens, dark reds etc and with a good variety you'll ensure you get a good spread of nutrients.
2. BUY ORGANIC. It matters. A lot of our crops are grown on soils heavily farmed and depleted of minerals, and exposed to some rather nasty pesticides.  If you don't buy organic, make sure you wash fruit and veg before eating it.
3. Cut down on dairy. We've substituted with almond milk and the transition has been seamless.
4. Cut down on gluten. This has been a major thing for us and I feel so much less sluggish without it. It's thought that a considerable percentage of the population has some level of gluten intolerance but isn't aware of it.
5. Choose fish and white meat rather than red meat.
6. Cut out sugar as much as you can but don't substitute with sweeteners! Aspartame is a nasty and is found in far too much diet food.

There are a lot of conditions that have been and can be cured with nutrition (look at scurvy!!!!) but it demands commitment - moreso than popping pills.  Well worthwhile though, and personally I am taking this route to boost my immune system currently for a health issue I'm facing.

GG x