Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Alternatives to HRT – what have you tried? Did it work? Questions?  (Read 46256 times)

Taz2

Re: Alternatives to HRT – what have you tried? Did it work? Questions?
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2015, 08:42:01 PM »

I don't think that a month is long enough to give the sage tablets to work. A lot of the alternative remedies take quite a few weeks to build up in the system.

Taz  :-\

BrightLight

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2015, 02:22:47 PM »

so ive bought red clover read mixed reviews and as usual scared to take it due to possible side effects, sounds really stupid I know, last month I bough sage tablets they didn't work and agnus cactus, I think that's what you call it, made me feel sick, Im wasting money and getting nowhere :( xx

I also suggest you carry on with the Sage if it seemed to work - it can take 2-3 months for these things to have an effect, much like vitamins often do.  With the red clover option, if it helps reassure you, you could look for a Traditional Herbal Registration (THR) marking on product packaging – this means the herbal remedy has been assessed against quality standards.

nelliedee

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2015, 07:22:01 PM »

A gp recommended sage to me and I shall be trying it soon. Do you take fish oils, vit d3, vit c as these are also important and can make a difference in 4 weeks in my opinion xx

BrightLight

« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2015, 08:14:36 PM »

After much deliberation I am about to get a herbal mix made up by a medical herbalist - it includes Sage and Agnus Castus and a few other herbs to target anxiety, hormone balance, better sleep and tiredness.  I think it will be a couple of months for me to see.  I have used over the counter herbal remedies in the past with good effect, getting someone to put one together means I can target a few things at once without doubling up with purchases and getting lost with all the info :)

honeybun

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2015, 08:16:52 PM »

Sounds really interesting Brightlight. Let us know how you get on and good luck

Honeyb
X

BrightLight

« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2015, 08:25:24 PM »

Hi Honeyb - I will definately report back.  Advise given to me by a well known high street establishment where herbalists can help you choose and create the right support for you, I can go back anytime and ask questions and of course stop if they are 'too powerful'. 

I once had chinese herbs and they were way too 'good' - detoxing the body too fast and I felt quite ill ha  This time I have described my sensitive system and asked for gentle herbs - these are western herbs, so fingers crossed :)

Hurdity

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »

In my travels around the internet I came across this leaflet produced in 2011 by the Royal College of Obstetricans about alternatives to HRT for the menopause including some information about the efficacy and safety of herbal remedies amongst other things.

https://www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/patients/patient-information-leaflets/gynaecology/pi-alternatives-to-hormone-replacement-therapy-for-symptoms-of-the-menopause.pdf

It's based on the full paper they also produced here:
https://www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/guidelines/scientific-impact-papers/sip_6.pdf

The latter paper was produced in 2010 so will be a little out of date but the main messages I'm sure will remain the same.

I also found this on the NHS - self-help tips for coping with hot flushes:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/menopause/Pages/Menopauseselfhelp.aspx

I hope readers of this thread find thse links helpful :)

Hurdity x

Dorothy

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2015, 09:29:23 PM »

I have used chamomile tea for years for digestive and sleep problems and am finding it especially beneficial at the moment.  I had terrible IBS when I was in my 20s and found drinking 2-3 cups of chamomile tea stopped it almost immediately (it's not a good idea to drink large quantities of chamomile for long periods as it can cause stomach irritation).  I started drinking 1 mugful just before bedtime to aid sleep, and as a side effect, found my IBS vanished completely.   

I am drinking lots of peppermint at the moment as it helps with the nausea.  Even just smelling peppermint is helpful.  It's also one of the herbal teas that is safe to drink frequently. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2015, 09:59:37 PM »

Very interesting Dorothy.  I like drinking Fennel tea with a bit of honey when my stomach is out of sorts.  I heard many years ago that the Germans give fennel tea to babies with colic so I started drinking it to help - particularly when I feel nauseas. I do find it very calming on my digestion. 
I do get nausea when I'm not on HRT - sometimes for days - and Fennel tea is all I fancy. DG x

karenja

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2015, 04:12:18 PM »

thanks Hurdity those links were interesting reading, I also use camomile tea v relaxing :) x

Dorothy

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2015, 04:13:03 PM »

I've tried Fennel and found it's good for upset tummies too, but sadly I hate the taste!

Dandelion

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2015, 11:05:45 PM »

Thanks Hurdity for starting this thread.

I used menopace, magnesium, various vitamins, and none of them had any lasting effects.
I was on femoston at the time, but it did nothing except regulate my periods.
I was still waking up feeling sweaty as if I had left the electric blanket on.
The only relief I have got is from 75mcg evorel.
I am coming to the end of a three month trial and am going to ask the doc for 100mcg, because, while the 75mcg has worked a bit, I feel that it is not enough.
As for anxiety, i dunno whether it's circumstantial or whether it's hormonal.
Some mornings, but not all, I wake up with butterflies in my stomach, feeling doomed and fearing the worst. This has been happening ever since perimeno started in 2009, at the age of 42.
I have got a lot of vulnerable areas of my life also, and am waiting for an ADHD test as the GP and psychologist think I may have it.
I filled out an adult ADHD questionnaire in my GP surgery and all/most of the answers I gave pointed towards further investigation.
That would answer so many questions for me. It would be positive if I got an ADHD diagnosis as I would get on the right meds, and right non drug treatment.
I don't know if I gave the alternatives long enough to work.
The magnesium did stop my flushes for about two weeks, and it was lovely to be able to go out and not feel extremely hot and sweaty.
The flushes put me off excercising and I would get them if I got stressed.
I have never tried agnus castus, sage, starflower etc.

Jennie

Love this new thread ......learning a lot....very interesting .

honeybun

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could have the dedicated section on Alternatives that a lot of us requested.

Unfortunately Emma had not given any response to our request. It's such a shame as obviously something that would benefit the forum and make it much more inclusive place.

I actually feel a bit let down for all of us who made this request, to have no answer to this seems a bit dismissive to be honest.

Honeyb
x

rosebud57

I actually sent a polite little reminder message to Emma, regarding this issue.  I have a feeling though that it will quietly be forgotten.

However, if you don't ask you don't get so you gave it your best shot honeybun :tulips:]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7