Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: how long is bleed on sequential HRT  (Read 3466 times)

sammy

how long is bleed on sequential HRT
« on: February 09, 2015, 11:58:05 PM »

I am trying sequential HRT via patch.  Actually, I think I am about to quit cause it does not seem to agree with me.

I had two weeks of .25 patch, followed by one week of Combipatch (estrogen plus northisdorone).  I remeoved teh combipatch cause I has having strange symptoms. 

So the next day after I removed the patch I started spotting.  Not I am still spotting for a total of 5 days so far.  What is normal?  how many days?  It is not a lot of bleeding, more like spotting on the toilet paper.

Any experiences?

Dancinggirl

Re: how long is bleed on sequential HRT
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 02:42:22 PM »

I recently had my first withdrawal bleed having gone back onto HRT after year without HRT and the bleed was just a few days of brown discharge and a few spots of blood.  I am using quite a small amount of oestrogen so I expect my womb lining hadn't built up much yet. It'll be interesting to see what my withdrawal bleed is like next time.
DG x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 04:59:15 PM »

Hi sammy. Which type of HRT are you on? The spotting will be due to the withdrawal of the progesterone I would think. I agree that norethisterone does give some women strange symptoms - much like pmt - but this often gets better after a few months.

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 05:12:01 PM »

Hi Sammy

Taz is right - if you're on sequential HRT then you are supposed to have a bleed after you change back to the oestrogen only patch (or in your case after you stop) - but you should normally run the whole course to ensure all your uterus lining is shed. You haven't built up much lining or else didn't have enough progestogen to strip it all - hence the spotting. Also you may well be out of sync now with your natural cycle if you are still having one now and again.

It won't do any harm just once. What were the strange symptoms you were getting?

Hurdity x

sammy

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 06:13:54 PM »

Thanks ladies,

I hope I didn't mess my self up.  Still a little bit of spotting today - hopefully it will sort out. 

My estrogen dose was so small at .025 patch.  Then again, I am also using the Estrace vaginal estrogen for VA for the first time. 

On the progesterone I developed a bad cold and really runny nose and big time nasal congestion.  This is the third time I have had a  problem with nasal symptoms while on the progesterone portion of HRT.  I am thinking HRT is not for me.  It seems to drop my immune system and I get sick.  It happened in July last year  and again at the New Year 2015. 

My mood was ok, as far as I could tell.  I have been terribly anxious lately and it has been tough.  Actually my mood might have been better whilst on the progesterone, but since I got nasal symtoms within 48 hours of the patch, I wasn't in such a good mood :(