Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Citalopram - higher dose or Mirtazapane???  (Read 2530 times)

suey43

Citalopram - higher dose or Mirtazapane???
« on: November 06, 2014, 02:23:29 PM »

Hello,

I've been taking Citalopram 20mg for 4.5 weeks but still have anxiety (although I think the depression has lessened a bit)> I'm still not sleeping properly even with sleeping tablets (although this was a problem before I started taking them).

Saw my GP earlier this week when was feeling v low and she said I could either:

* up my dose of Citalopram and see how it goes
* swap to Mirtazipine

I am feeling a bit better now than earlier in the week (although still fairly anxious and not that great at all TBH).

Took an extra 10 mg Citalopram tab earlier (making that 30mg today) and now wondering if I did the right thing??

It's SO hard to know what to do when you feel so awful.

Any advice really really appreciated!

Tabbycat

Re: Citalopram - higher dose or Mirtazapane???
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 03:03:13 PM »

It takes a while to kick in. I was on 10mg for a month, and felt a little better but not enough, so was increased to 20mg. Overall it took a while (maybe five or six weeks - sorry, bit blurry about it now!) before I really felt better. I was told by the practice nurse that it takes about three months to peak.

Have you had any side effects at all? If not, then maybe you need a higher dose. If you have, then I'd wait a bit longer.

I know how hard it is to be patient when you're anxious!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 06:48:51 PM »

Are you splitting the dose 3 times a day ?  Once your brain adjusts to the higher dose you will begin to feel better.  I have to alter my ADs as necessary.

cheekygal

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 01:42:45 AM »

I can only comment on mirtazapine, unfortunately I do not do well on any AD's, had bad experiences with several types many years ago.  However, I was so low back in April that I agreed to try mirtazapine, I was put on 30mg at the start, it pulled me out of a black hole overnight, it will def help you with sleep, but after a week I found my panic attacks increased, I did persevere for 8 weeks then weaned off.  The only thing that helps me presently is diazepam,  I am aware it's not the best answer but at the same time the alternative was being a housebound wreck, they take the edge off the panics helping me to go out and even into town. I also have little or no side effects from those. Maybe give the one you are on another week or so, then if you still feel they aren't for you then change.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

CG x

Dyan

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 01:09:32 PM »

Hi suey43

I take Mirtazapine for anxiety & depression.
I was put on 15mg to start and it sorted out my anxiety within days and gave me a good nights sleep.
I recovered from the illness and then went up to 30mg a few months later when I had another blip.
I'm still taking 30mg each night and they help.
I also take fluoxetine for my OCD and have been taking this now for 10 years.
I have a history of depression and anxiety and Mirtazapine has got me through each bout.
Hope this is helpful X