Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Changing patches progesterone advice & anxiety again  (Read 5889 times)

karenja

Changing patches progesterone advice & anxiety again
« on: October 25, 2014, 06:43:33 AM »

Hi already posted to say I've got an appointment Monday to discuss maybe changing from everol sequi as not great on the progesterone has anybody got any recommendations of progesterone patches other than the ones included in the sequi patches the ones with kinder progesterone? The doctor I saw yesterday who wasn't experienced said as no natural period since December I msy be able to change to a permanent combined patch now I have reservations about that as I'm best on estrogen only how would I be on the combined patch permanently again any recommendations as I feel I have to go armed with the information as the doctors in my surgery are not really clued up on hrt preparations. Anxiety awful again after reading there have been 24 burglaries in my area in last ten days and I live in a nice area! Couldn't sleep my heart going like mad tight chest and feeling I'm going to have a heart attack as usual I hate this anxiety scares the hell out of me x

donnacrichton

Re: Changing patches progesterone advice & anxiety again
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 09:25:39 AM »

I also struggle with anxiety when changing doses it terrifies me. Just knocked my dose off again so really can sympathies I try relaxation during the day. Hope you get help soon from someone with more knowledge than myself x

Millykin

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 10:04:00 AM »

Hi
Just wanted to say sorry you are suffering at the moment not good. I don't know much about different HRT but if you move to the conti won't it be lower progrsterone? You might not get the bad effects as much if it is continuous ? Maybe you should look it as this could be what you need feel more positive about it and keep telling yourself this could work this could take the edge off anxiety. Positive positive positive. Easy for me to say I know but just trying to give you a wee boost today. Let us know how you get on.
Millykin
X

bramble

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 11:56:08 AM »

I found when moved to the conti version that it was much much better than on the sequi type. A constant daily dose seemed to help better and also improved my anxiety.
Bramble

Suzyq

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 11:59:46 AM »

I use a conti regime and find the same - anxiety and symptoms sooo much better

karenja

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 12:55:24 PM »

thanks for all your replies, Suzyq and Bramble that's really good to hear, I hope I can switch then as December it will be a year since my last natural period, can I ask what hrt you are both on? x

bramble

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 02:57:44 PM »

I was on Premique, medium and then low dose and then stopped slowly. No real problems. The crippling anxiety has not returned.
Bramble

karenja

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 04:41:45 PM »

thanks Bramble, Im thinking now maybe I should wait until December when it has been a full 12months with no bleed and find the best hrt for me in the meantime x

Suzyq

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 09:40:18 PM »

I'm on estradot and ultrogestan - still peri - no problems with breakthrough bleeding or other issues

karenja

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 09:27:16 AM »

Hi Suzyq, those are hrt preparations Dr Currie recommended so I will make a note and mention to gp tomorrow thanks x

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 08:51:37 PM »

Hi karenja

Just to clear up something re the no-bleed issue.

If you start HRT when it is less than 12 months since your last natural period you are given cyclical (sequi) HRT which gives you a withdrawal bleed. You then do not know when your last natural period would have been, so you do not know when you would become post-menopausal.

It is usual then to try a switch to conti no-bleed HRT at age 54 when the majority of women would be post-menopausal. In my case I wasn't as I had my last natural period at age 53 1/2 and started HRT 5 months later just before age 54, so I carried on with cycle until about 57 or 58 - but that was because the doc didn't suggest conti and I hadn't read enough about it. As it turned out I am still on a cycle age 61 through choice!

I think I said elsewhere recently that sometimes docs will try women on conti HRT if it is thought they are almost post-meno but go back onto sequi if there is spottting and bleeding - which can occur if the natural cycle is strong enough to kick in now and again.

So you won't necessarily be able to start conti HRT in December especially if you are under 54.

There are no patches with progesterone (nor dydrogesterone - the closest synthetic progestogen to progesterone) in as it is an unstable compound. Most women wanting progesterone ask for oestrogen only patches and separate progesterone.

As Suzyq says you could try Estradot and Utrogestan - please note the correct spelling of the brand name of this product which is also known by its generic name of "micronised progesterone ". I tell you this so that the docs don't have an excuse that they can't find it!

Hope this helps!

Hurdity x  :)

karenja

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 09:24:05 PM »

thanks hurdity I am 54 in December also x

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 10:12:05 AM »

Ooh you might be lucky then!

I would always suggest trying any new preparation as a cycle first just to see how you get on with the progesterone - and then you can compare how you feel on both regimes. If you are OK on the progesterone phase then switch to having it continuously. However the dose of progesterone for cyclical is double that for continuous so how you feel is probably not completely comparable...

However you might be happy just to get on with it and try the continuous Utrogestan at 100 mg. It does have a sedative effect but doesn't generally cause anxiety in most women.

Hurdity  x

karenja

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 11:15:11 AM »

Hi just got back, the doctor searched her book but could not find utogestan, she did manage to find  estradot, anyway she want to keep me on sequi so has given me a prescription for femseven sequi I think its called, different progesterone so hopefully will be ok x

karenja

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 07:22:08 AM »

feeling weird last few days on everol sequi patches, changing Saturday, ive looked at both
EVOREL SEQUI* M 2 x Weekly Transdermal estradiol 50mcg/24hrs
 Trandsermal norethisterone 170mcg/24hrs for 14 days/28 
£11.09

FEMSEVEN SEQUI M Weekly Transdermal estradiol 50mcg/24hrs
 Transdermal levonorgestrel 10mcg/24hrs for 14 days/28 

hope I will be better with the levonorgestrel than the norethisterone has anybody found this better, I just wish my doctor had been able to find something on utrogestan which seems better option, the estrogen in femseven seems the same as evorel sequi which is good Im ok on this usually, numbness in am at the moment which will pass, pain down my arm yester and pain down leg where patch is had this before, just a weird head feeling a few times yesterday, which in my world Im dying, enough menopause already  :cat88: :hotflash: (like the cat pic) x
Pages: [1] 2