Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Magic Cures  (Read 20960 times)

orrla

Re: Magic Cures
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2014, 02:27:09 PM »

he he ;)

.. if they know so well what's best for me why am I so bloody uncomfortable!!!

:-*

Dancinggirl

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2014, 04:24:49 PM »

Hi orria
The burning urethra I suffer from is actually more common than I had realised.  I started a thread on this site called 'The Burning Club' and it was amazing how many women responded as having similar symptoms. I have seen a urologist and had a cystoscopy to check my bladder.  As I mentioned before, the GP did check my urine this morning and there was no infection. I agree with you about our insides getting squashed up and this may be  one of the reasons why we get so much trouble with the 'water works' after the menopause. It is also known that oestrogen deficiency effects the bladder and makes it more prone to infection and weakness. Sitting down and getting really hot are the things that make my urethra start to burn but the local oestrogen I get from the Estring has helped a lot.
I don't drink tea or coffee much anymore or fruit juices, I avoid alcohol most of the time - all very boring.  I wish I could say avoiding these things makes things any better but it doesn't.  I allow myself the occasional very small cup of tea when I am really tired to try and perk me up but never after 2pm in the afternoon. I try to drink most of my fluids before 6pm to hopefully avoid the need to pee too often throughout the night. CKLD has told me that it may be better to drink some small amounts of water throughout the evening so I may try that for a couple of days.
As an ex dancer I really believe posture is important and walking tall and holding your stomach in really helps to support the back and everything else.
I'm taking some Nytol tonight so i hope I will get a better night - it usually does the trick but I know I can only use it a couple of times a week or it won't work. I do practise Mindfull Meditation which helps me cope with the extreme tiredness I get at certain times in the day. Sleep deprivation is torture.  Dg x

orrla

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2014, 04:55:31 PM »

Sleep deprivation is torture.

I agree! I can't function in following day... Sometimes I think this is exactly why they will not give me tablets  >:(

I was thinking - could this burning have something to do with this vaginal dryness they keep banging on about that we all have? :-\ ... and I don't... :)

honeybun

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2014, 05:11:12 PM »

Why would you think they would not give you tablets if you can't function.

I really don't think GPs work like that.

They really aren't out to get you   :-\

Honeyb
x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2014, 05:27:25 PM »

Hi orria
Yes, the burning is often to do with Vaginal Atrophy.  Dg x

orrla

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2014, 05:39:44 PM »

Well honeybun, my straight from University young female GP refused.  She said they are causing memory loss in elderly  ;D  ....

Don't worry - I am extra grumpy today    :o

honeybun

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2014, 06:37:48 PM »

Not bothered at all  ;D

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2014, 06:45:08 PM »

;D  …….. go back to that particular GP and ask what she considers elderly to be?  How patronising!

Checking the colour of urine is important.  The 1st pee of the morning will be dark if one isn't in and out of bed all night.  As we increase our liquid intake whether through drinks or eating the colour should be straw but not pale - if too pale it is an indication that we are drinking too much.

Think about your diet as a whole.  I have a round of toast with butter plus a cuppa: black with 2 sugars, at breakfast time.  Mid-morning - a cuppa with a bun; lunch varies but usually includes either a soup or ham salad; several cuppas during the afternoon then evening meal: 2-night it was freshly caught trout (meat/liquid) with rice which included ginger, garlic, salt, home grown tomatoes (liquid) and I added a knob of butter (fat and liquid).  Later I will have another cuppa and later still, a chocolate milk shake to take to my bath with which I will take my medication.

No alcohol.  No water unless really thirsty.  I get up 2/3 times in the night more if I can't sleep.

honeybun

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2014, 06:52:50 PM »

Tea does not really count in your intake of liquid. Tea is a diuretic so you end up loosing more liquid than you take in. Water is best for your body.

I do like Redbush Tea. I never drink normal tea after lunch and never at night as I know it will keep me awake and also makes me pee.

I drink water in the evening too. At least three large glasses, normally bottled but sometimes from the tap. Strangely enough if I don't drink enough water in the evening I have to get up to the loo. If I do drink then I'm rarely up at all. I go to bed about 11:30 and waken up about 7:15 really needing the loo. Not bad I think.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2014, 06:55:31 PM »

It is probably the caffeine that is the diuretic ? I HATE Redbush. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2014, 07:23:18 PM »

Interesting to hear about you fluid intakes - gosh you both drink quite a bit.  I did do a diary for 3-4 days to look at my fluid intake and I drank between 1.2 and 1.5 litres - this was drinking when I was thirsty. My pee is never dark - it's always pale yellow.  I tend to start the day with decaffeinated tea (200ml) and a glass of water (200ml) and then the rest is spread through lunchtime and the afternoon with just a few sips of water throughout the evening. I am going to try having a bit more water through the evenings to see if it helps but i was told by that urologist (and all the info I've found on the internet) that one should avoid drinking in the evening!!!!!
Some nights I will only pee 3 times but this depends on how well I'm sleeping.  I seem to wake not because I need to pee but often because I have had very vivid dreams, I then find I need to go to the loo and when I get back into bed I get that horrid creeping up my legs which ends in a hot flush - I find this makes me feel fully awake, can't get back to sleep for ages and then it all starts again. It is very difficult to switch the mind off and though I sometimes try not to go to the bathroom that doesn't work either. Also, lying on my side seems to put more pressure on my bladder but I find it hard to sleep on my back. Lying down does seem to take the pressure off my urethra so I think this is why it is seldom burning in the morning.
When I had the 3 year break from HRT (aged 49 - 53) my sleep was similarly broken but I only needed to pee about 2-3 times per night but this time it is definitely worse.  When I went back on HRT aged 53 the first thing I noticed was I slept better - getting quality sleep made so much difference to my life.
I think one of the difficulties of having these bladder issues is it's hard to ignore it - it becomes a bit of an obsession, I'm fine during the day but I now dread going to bed because the nights are so bad - unless I take Nytol.
DG x

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2014, 07:50:53 PM »

Oh I dream that I need the loo if my bladder is full and I am deeply asleep.   ::)

Usually if people have renal conditions they are not able to drink very much.  But the body will expel liquids during the day as necessary.  One can take on too much which will dilute the essential minerals etc. which can lead to death but that is drinking lots and lots and  ::).  One would usually feel nauseous !

I find that if I get up at once and pee then I don't lay awake waiting for my bladder to fill completely.

Could that creeping up your legs be an adrenaline rush?  Not nice!

There is a valve or hormone or something which supposedly means the bladder shuts down at night so we don't need to get out of bed as often, however, sometimes this 'fails' so medication can be given.

Your amount of intake is a lot on top of what your diet includes.  Water companies were trying to encourage folk to drink 2+ litres daily  ::)

babyjane

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2014, 08:42:21 PM »

I have 2 or 3 200ml glasses of plain water throughout the day and 3 200ml mugs of decaffeinated or redbush tea and one of ordinary tea mid afternoon.  That makes er, um, er 1.2-1.4 litres a day, feels about right. I think I spend a penny about 5 times through the day and once in the night around 3am (used to be 2-3 times at night)

You really wanted to know that didn't you?  ::)

TropicalVon69

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2014, 07:16:06 AM »

Lol that made me laugh BabyJane....thanks for sharing...I am mostly thirsty in the morning prob due to anxiety and sweaty nights so have a couple of glasses of water in the am and a couple of cups of tea, a couple of juices in the afternoon and juice with tea and maybe a glass of water at night and sometimes through the night when I wake up for loo trip if I'm thirsty...sometimes worry that I may be washing through salts or something but dont know lol

Dancinggirl

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2014, 08:59:58 AM »

It's actually really helpful for me to hear your fluid intake regime etc.
I do't think I'm doing anything wrong with my fluids - I think it's my bladder that is up the spout probably because of the atrophy. 
Took Nytol last night and slept sooooooo well - only got up to pee twice.  I feel like a new women this morning. Dg x
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5